Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Paso Robles , California
1975 Dometic refrigerator start up question

Hi,
Re-starting an AS Dometic fridge from a 75 Overlander that may have sat for a couple of years. Have good propane pressure to all appliances. The knobs on the fridge thermostat were removed and put back on without a reference point so I can't tell if the dials are set on four, or one, or even "off". I got the fridge burning by lighting the pilot from the outside. Any help on repositioning the knobs correctly would be muc appreciated. At start up you are supposed to set the therm at "4". The freezer gets cool and the fridge stays slightly cool.
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The knobs only go on one way and if they are on the bottom of the fridge the number that is up is the setting. I am assuming you have the knobs with the numbers around the circumference. If not, post a picture and someone with the same unit will help.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In my '74 Argosy. The knobs are numbered from 1 to 7. Seven being the highest setting. There is a thermostat (knob) for gas and another for electric. Turn the knob clockwise to get a colder setting. As I recall the knobs only turn about 90 degrees. From like 10 o'clock to 2:00 o'clock. I start and run ours on a setting of 5.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Paso Robles , California
Thanks

Thanks TG and ventport. I put my good glasses on and see there IS a notch inside the knobs. I plugged in to shore and switched to electric at level 5 and still no cooling. Might have a bad fridge I guess.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If it works on gas you may just have a bad heating element. You do realize there is a separate thermostat for electric. Also it takes longer for the electric mode to cool the refer. If I remember correctly, when I replaced the element it is only 150 watts. Also the switch from gas to electric is a 3 position switch. Gas-Off-Electric
Don't give up yet!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Paso Robles , California
Okee-Doke. I brought the OVerlander into Barber RV yesterday to have all the sytems checked out--not a bad idea since it has set for a while.

Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

SW , Pennsylvania
Dr Bob, those switches are funny, have some operate the gas/electric switch while watching the back, you will see the position you need then. My 74 is like this.
scotty4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Paso Robles , California
Great idea. Thank you.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
wait a little longer

I have the same fridge and asked similar question on here a while ago. my problem was not waiting long enough for it to cool. someone told me it may take a full 24 hours before it gets up to full cooling. once i waited sure enough was making ice in the fridge.
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote