Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Hesperia , California
1970s lower refrigerator vent issues

I have replaced my old RM75 refrigerator with a new Norcold NX641.3. During that process I noticed the lower refrigerator vent seems poorly designed. I found the vent was not lined and a lot of dirt and crud was built up over the years in the frame area. Most of the insulation was destroyed and I probably took out 40 pounds of dirt. I reconfigured the vent and made an aluminum lining to seal off the frame and insulated area. Now I am wondering if making it a lined vent from the bottom of the trailer will cause too much airflow while driving. to much air may blow out the refrigerator vent. Has anyone had any experience with this?
npllce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have never had any big issues with the through the floor venting in the early Airstreams and Argosy's. Just be sure both openings are covered with 1/4" wire mesh (hardware cloth) to keep the critters out.

On one replacement refrigerator job in an Argosy I did have to block off part of the vent to keep from blowing out the flame while traveling. I did it by trial and error.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Hesperia , California
Thanks. I think I will have to do the same. I made the vent out of aluminum and was able to seal off the insulated frame area. This will keep the dust and dirt out but I think the air flow when driving will be too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (11).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	238622  
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
RM75 refer ad in classifieds

npllce, Hi, I have sent 2 messages thru the classifieds section trying to contact you. I want to purchase the RM75 that you listed there and have friends that live in Homeland, Ca just off of I-215 South of you. Is the refer in Hesperia? The pictures you posted look good and I understand that the front panels are missing. I assumed you kept them for use with the new Norcold fridge. That is not an issue for me. You stated that the refer works on both LP and Electric is this right? I would like it if you could PM me with your Phone Number so I can make arrangements with you to pay for it and set up a time that my friends can pick it up from you. Sorry to highjack your thread but needed to get hold of you before the fridge was gone. Thanks, Hope to hear from you soon! Ed Carver
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:53 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Hesperia , California
BIGED52 I have replied to you in a private message.