Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
1970 Overlander Fridge

HI

I just purchase a 1970 Overlander. It's missing the fridge. The last one caught on Fire?? I would like to just put a modern fridge in the same space. I am new to Airstreaming and am not familar with fridges that vent from the floor to the ceiling. My trailers in the past have all vented out the side. Are there special fridges that vent this way or will any of them work?? I would like to avoid the hazards of the previous owner. The space I have is approx 24X24X40.

Thanks

David

Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome//

David-

Welcome to forums, and hope little bitty fire did no further damage...

Several pieces of advice until refrigerator wizards might weigh in...

Current RV refrigerators are Dometic and Norcold.. Both have websites and you should cruise them to see what options there are.. Some folks put in electric (110V only) mini-fridges, but that would limit your ability to travel away from places with electrical hookups. Might be an issue, might not...

Any dual-source fridge (Propane burner or 110V heating rod) will need some venting, and most do have vertical vent through roof, just invisible on flat-sided RV's. Blocked vent flue could be contributor to fire problems... Most also have vented side panel for access and inflow of cooler air, which is what you see on side of RV.

Finally, you should practice your "searching" skills here, using search tab in blue bar above.. Click and then type in words like fridge and refrigerator and replacement and install and dometic in combinations and see what threads come up to read. May take some time, but rest assured you are not the first with a need to install a new refrigerator...

Good luck

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I would go with a dual powered refer (ie propane/elect) for the obvious reasons which John pointed out. The dealer markup for these is insane. You can get a much better deal than normal by ordering from Palamino parts in Michigan. Well worth the money, even if you are on a budget.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damkdeck
HI

Are there special fridges that vent this way or will any of them work?? I would like to avoid the hazards of the previous owner.
its not about the "fridge"; its about the enclosure in which you put the fridge. its not like there's an exhaust pipe on the fridge that has to be specially made for the trailer; there just has to be a cavity behind the fridge that is just the right size to generate a chimney effect, and get a nice, steady current of rising air. air has to come in that space down low, and go out somewhere up high. other than that, it doesn't matter where the air comes from.
I don't know why they switched from the floor vent to the side vent. seems that the floor vent makes a whole lot more sense, especially since so many fridges seem to get parked near the entry door. the open door blocks the side vents on some trailers, causing "issues".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1970 Overlander Fridge

Greetings David!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damkdeck
HI

I just purchase a 1970 Overlander. It's missing the fridge. The last one caught on Fire?? I would like to just put a modern fridge in the same space. I am new to Airstreaming and am not familar with fridges that vent from the floor to the ceiling. My trailers in the past have all vented out the side. Are there special fridges that vent this way or will any of them work?? I would like to avoid the hazards of the previous owner. The space I have is approx 24X24X40.

Thanks

David
I might add one more thing to consider as you look toward a new refirgerator. While they are not popular with many Forum members, I wouldn't consider anything other than a 3-Way RV Refrigerator as a replacement -- I know that is what went into my Overlander when it received its new refrigerator. The 3-Way refrigerator allows you to run on 12-Volt DC when towing which means the LP cylinders can be turned off when traveling. I have had 3-Way RV refrigerators since 1980 and have found them entirely satisfactory (most have been Dometic), The main thing to remember is to pre-cool the refirgerator either on LP or Electric and then switch over to 12-volt for travel.

My Minuet still has its original 2-Way Dometic, but when it fails, its replacement will be a 3-Way RV refrigerator.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #6

1970 27' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Thanks -

The trailer I had before the Airstream was a 3-way and I liked running on 12 volt on the road. Sounds like as long as the fridge will fit the opening and as long as back is clear to allow for a draft. That good news gives me alot of options.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The downside of 12V or 3-Way Fridges is simply that they consume lots of amp-hours and watts to power a heating element. This can lead to battery discharge if you park during the day, or forget to switch back to another source when camped. The load may also lead to alternator or regulator failure, and the isolation switch on tow vehicle installation of wiring harness should be checked to be sure the trailer won't drain the power out of the tow vehicle battery... Other than these issues, 3-Way is fine, though they are also harder to find and a little more expensive...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote