Old 03-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
San Diego , California
1968 Safari Refrigerator Removal - Help!

I need some help figuring out how to get this refrigerator out. Anybody have any experience with this year and model?

Thanks much!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

There are phillips head screws through the cabinet walls into a wood strip attatched to the front edges of the fridge. Remove those. Under the trailer you should find two square patches in the underbelly skin attatched with phillips screws (or maybe rivets?). Remove those and you will find hex bolt heads that go through the floor and the angle iron frame of the fridge. Remove the lower front access cover of the fridge and you will see the nuts and washers holding those bolts. Put a vise grip pliers on the nut and unscrew the bolt from under the trailer. If you have an extra person, have them crawl under the trailer!! From the outside access panel, disconnect the propane line and unplug the 120V cord. The fridge should slide out. Be prepared to find a rat's nest of wires behind the fridge - typical Airstream wiring. Darol

Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Darol,

Thanks for the information. I will try it this weekend and let you know what I find out.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Anyone removed the fridge from a 66 Overlander??? We managed to get the screws from underneath and the metal straps from left side, after removing the credenza wall. Fridge still won't budge!!!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

On the 66 Overlander, you have two bolts that go through the floor and the rubber plugs will be found under the trailer for them. Take those bolts out, remove the wall on end ( screws hold it in place), remove the oven, then remove all the screws from that side as well (you will find peices of aluminum with screws, after the oven is out) then you are done! Don't ask me how I know ;-) been there, done that. What are you're plans with the frig?

Have fun!

Enjoy,
Old 08-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Thank you Rideair....it's not working on 110 so it will probably go in the barn until we get around to having it restored or...Hope the oven is easy to get out
Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

On the Overlander, after taking the oven out, then the refrigrator out, you "must" leave the oven out until you put the frig back in place. Reason is this, the small piece of wood that separates the oven and the frig, screws into the side of the frig holding it in place, the oven then screws into that piece of wood. If the frig is not in place to secure the wood, then the wood is not secure to hold the oven in place. Again, don't ask me how I know. But I can say this, if you just slide the oven back in place and its not fully secured to that piece of wood, it could end up in the middle of the floor, again, don't ask me how I know

Enjoy,
Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Thanks again....we're calling it a night. Maybe tomorrow evening we'll have the stove out
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
You might want to look for rivets/ screws going three the side walls into the fridge. There may also be 2 L angles made from Alclad holding the fridge to the upper shelf. When removing my fridge I found approx. 28 rivets/ screws holding the fridge to the walls on either side. Good luck!

Tags