Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
1963 Safari Dometic refer

As I mentioned it does not get cold. Fires up on propane nicely but no cold at all even after hours. Does it need 12v too? I have not seen any wires to the refer at all so I thought it just ran on propane.
Any thoughts?
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenchel View Post
As I mentioned it does not get cold. Fires up on propane nicely but no cold at all even after hours. Does it need 12v too? I have not seen any wires to the refer at all so I thought it just ran on propane.
Any thoughts?
Here are some threads you might what to look at. Burp!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...tor-28951.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...dge-33735.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ool-48626.html

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
First, did it work before (recently)?

Second does it smell bad?

If it has worked in the recent past and does not smell like ammonia, pull the burner assembly out (disconnect gas line and prolly another screw) and clean with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip (inside and out) blow out (gently) with compressed air and replace. Often time a dirty burner is not efficient enough to create the cooling reaction.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
so I guess I am going to burp it! I know it takes a lot of muscle power but does it really just lift and pull out all in 1 piece when you unscrew the 4 connector bolts?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
yes it does. don't forget the gas line.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
before I take it out I thought that I would turn on the gas and light the burner and let it run for hours...after reading so many suggestions about how long it might take to cool, since it's been sitting for 30 years.. The reger looks like its really in good shape but its been burning now for about 10 hours and inside the box it's getting warm not cool. I've since turned the gas and the flame off.
Is the warm refer indicative of anything in particular?
Is it burp time yet?
Any suggestions my trusted friends?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Refer fix for our 65 Overlander

Not sure if we have the same type of refer, but, here goes. I have a 65 Overlander and the problem I had with my original refer unit was the baffle placement in the divergent chamber... I know, your thinking, what is he talking about! Well, there is a baffle that is suspended in that tube above the "pilot" that you light for your refer unit. What it does, is deflect the heat from up and out, and directs it into the chamber that will heat the fluid (whatever it is, ammonia?) that will eventually cool the refer. When I drove our trailer home it jarred that baffle loose and subsequently, the refer stopped working on propane, although it did work on electricity, thus diagnosing a symptom of the problem. It was almost absurd how easy of fix it was, just getting to it was the hard part... If you want anymore advice in this direction, send me a message...
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Thanks! I know what you are talking about! The Baffle on my refer is accessible from a compartment door on the outside and the trailer and the back of the refer area. It's a tube w a cap that has a long wire attached going down the tube. What would be the adjust,emt that I make? I know the possibility is there that the refer may be shot but so far every other single thing on the 63 Safari has worked perfectly w a little playing around so I just have this feeling that the refer will come to life w a little tinkering. I'm not ready to give up yet. Crazy?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
We have the same gas only Dometic refer and it works well, ours cools down in a few hours. I have noticed a couple of things, as stated above the ceramic burner should be clean and adjusted properly, you should have a nice blue flame, you may have to adjust the burner height so that it is further into the hole in the bottom of the fridge. Additionally, if your trailer is not close to being level side to side it could cause it not to cool. I had this happen with ours recently. The front to back does not seem to be as important as the side to side. If you remove the burner assembly, be very careful of the Klixon tounge and valve, those are extinct!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
As far as adjusting the baffle, the cap that mine was hanging from had dislodged, and the baffle had hung up on the factory hook it was hangin from. Not really an adjustment, just make sure it's hanging in the correct fashion. Also make sure your flame is blue, not yellow, and centered below the tube... Good luck my fellow refer friend!
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
tried it one more time. Leveled the refer not the trailer and now its on perfect level. Made sure the baffle cap was on well and still the same thing...everything including the inside of the refre and freezer are getting warm not cold.Tapped away some rust at the bottom of the burner and all seems pretty cleam. I gotta think there is a blockage of ammonia or something in the cooling system or maybe there is simply no ammonia...it has been sitting for 30 years. Do you all think it;s burp time or just give up time ( which I am not inclined to do) I called Dometic and they said the 24oo or 2510 were replacements for it but when I look up those models it says that they need electric to them and mine has no electric connection...just gas. Pilot is lit by a match.
So confused as I've powered through every other item on this trailer and have gotten it all to work in it's original but this

?????
Thanks
Mike

Tags