Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Need prepurchase advise on '79 Safari.

I found this ad locally. Any advise before I go to check it out would be much appreciated. I've never owned an Airstream, but I have been reading the forum and doing research for 2-3 months. I don't really want a project, I want to camp! I think my ideal would be a newer 19' Bambi or a restored 60's Globetrotter. BUT, maybe this would be an option; 23' is about as long as I'd like to go. Price vs. condition guide says 1200-2700, $4670 - $7700, $10900 - $16300 for as found, average, and restored. Is it reasonable to expect this to be a turn-key trailer? Any generalities about pros and cons of trailers of this vintage and model? How much should I offer? Anybody want to go with me? I'm in Livingston, Montana. THANKS!!


23 foot overall length dual axle Land Yacht Safari. This is the shortest dual axle by Airstream. This is in excellent condition both inside and outside.
This has appearance similar to the latest Airstreams and has two double sofa beds which are almost new. There has been a new converter installed in the last few years and everything is in good working order. There is a rear shower and toilet with non freeze water plumbing which has not been used since being installed. This trailer is super easy to tow and does not react like a conventional trailer especially in strong cross winds. I have gotten nearly 17 miles per gallon the last time this was towed slightly under 200 miles using a 5.3 liter Silverado V8. Airstream is unique in the handling and fuel requirements compared to contemporary units of similar length. This does not have air conditioning but this can be taken care of by installation or a small ac unit and generator. This trailer has a nearly brand new full length awning.
__________________

GroovePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePoppa
I found this ad locally. Any advise before I go to check it out would be much appreciated. I've never owned an Airstream, but I have been reading the forum and doing research for 2-3 months. I don't really want a project, I want to camp! I think my ideal would be a newer 19' Bambi or a restored 60's Globetrotter. BUT, maybe this would be an option; 23' is about as long as I'd like to go. Price vs. condition guide says 1200-2700, $4670 - $7700, $10900 - $16300 for as found, average, and restored. Is it reasonable to expect this to be a turn-key trailer? Any generalities about pros and cons of trailers of this vintage and model? How much should I offer? Anybody want to go with me? I'm in Livingston, Montana. THANKS!!


23 foot overall length dual axle Land Yacht Safari. This is the shortest dual axle by Airstream. This is in excellent condition both inside and outside.
This has appearance similar to the latest Airstreams and has two double sofa beds which are almost new. There has been a new converter installed in the last few years and everything is in good working order. There is a rear shower and toilet with non freeze water plumbing which has not been used since being installed. This trailer is super easy to tow and does not react like a conventional trailer especially in strong cross winds. I have gotten nearly 17 miles per gallon the last time this was towed slightly under 200 miles using a 5.3 liter Silverado V8. Airstream is unique in the handling and fuel requirements compared to contemporary units of similar length. This does not have air conditioning but this can be taken care of by installation or a small ac unit and generator. This trailer has a nearly brand new full length awning.
What year Airstream?

Andy
__________________

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Whoops, forgot that part! 1979.
GroovePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,698
Images: 8
Before Andy beats me to it, the axles may be shot with that year unless they've been replaced.
Floor needs to be checked for soft spots, of course check the appliances, check for signs of water leaks, etc.
You don't mention price. That will make all the difference.
__________________
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Asking price is $8100.
GroovePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Fyrzowt--how do you check for soft spots? Can you really tell without pulling up flooring or pulling belly pan or something like that?

Quote:
the axles may be shot with that year unless they've been replaced.
Is this simply because the axles are 29 yrs old or because of something particular to the 1979 trailers?

Anyone have a 79 Safari or 79 Airstream? Is this a good year? What was going on with Airstream in this era? Opinion on price?
GroovePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePoppa
Fyrzowt--how do you check for soft spots? Can you really tell without pulling up flooring or pulling belly pan or something like that?

Is this simply because the axles are 29 yrs old or because of something particular to the 1979 trailers?

Anyone have a 79 Safari or 79 Airstream? Is this a good year? What was going on with Airstream in this era? Opinion on price?
GP,

We have a 1979 Safari and think that it is a great trailer for two people. There are pictures here: 79Safari

The main issue with the axles is lack of use,I believe that the axle rubber compound was changed in the mid 1970's to permit longer life. But if the trailer sat for long periods, the rubber, regardless of the new compound, will take a set and harden.

Remember, if the appliances have not been replaced they are almost 30 years old. How long do your home appliances last?

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,698
Images: 8
Quote:
how do you check for soft spots? Can you really tell without pulling up flooring or pulling belly pan or something like that?
Poke around with an ice pick. It will go right through carpet without leaving a mark. Be sure to check under sinks, around toilet, shower, under windows and around door. If it has laminate flooring it will be tough to check where you need to without pulling belly.
You can often see water stains that show current or past leaks. Check those areas.
Dave
__________________
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks for the input guys!

What's the skinny on axle replacement or service?

I'm in Livingston, MT-I think our nearest dealer is Spokane or Salt Lake. How do I get new axles on the beast if need be?


If I get the trailer and need new axles, can you set the axle angle to give a couple more inches clearance?
GroovePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
j Z
1 Rivet Member
 
1979 23' Safari
Great Falls , Montana
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14
I bought it

The same ad was placed on Craigslist in May of '09. The guy was asking $6300 this time. The plumbing needed some attention, there were a few leaks. The axles and tires are old and could be replaced. The door handle is broken. However, the awning was nice, the fridge, stove, fans, and lights work. Furnace won't light, but blows. I gave him $6300 for it. After a few days of messing around with plumbing and cleaning it out, I took the family camping. We had a great time. Here is a picture from Holter Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0673.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	814.0 KB
ID:	80733  
j Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
bullydogsmom's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by j Z View Post
The same ad was placed on Craigslist in May of '09. The guy was asking $6300 this time. The plumbing needed some attention, there were a few leaks. The axles and tires are old and could be replaced. The door handle is broken. However, the awning was nice, the fridge, stove, fans, and lights work. Furnace won't light, but blows. I gave him $6300 for it. After a few days of messing around with plumbing and cleaning it out, I took the family camping. We had a great time. Here is a picture from Holter Lake.

Well GroovePoppa, I quess that just bites don't it? Well keep looking there are more out there, yours is waiting for you.

Annette
__________________

bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our '56 Safari (aka Our Retirement Home) SafariSteve 1956 Safari 41 09-04-2013 05:55 PM
1968 Safari 22' :: 1968 Airstream Safari Darrengj Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 08:32 AM
Safari :: 2006 Airstream Safari SE Mrs Silverback Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 08:31 AM
New Safari owner 2001sport 1966 - 1968 Safari 10 06-24-2011 11:30 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.