Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
'74 Safari Project- concessions trailer...maybe

Well I figure I'll start my own thread to keep motivated on my Safari!
I have yet to decide what exact type of concession trailer it will be, but I think something easy so I don't have to modify the outside.... Today was a second round of demolition. I have to say, the aluminum skin on these trailers is so nice and gives them a real feel of quality craftsmanship, but the insides (at least during these years) are junk. I know weight is an issue, but it just feels cheap....nothing a trip to the dump can't get rid of!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1542.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	146442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	146443  

Name:	IMG_1543.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	146444   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	560.5 KB
ID:	146445  

Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Safari project

Here are all the insides!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	146446  

Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Here are all the insides!!!
Make sure the suspension system is OK and that it will handle the new pay load.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Good call on that! She needs new axles for sure! I figure it will be easiest to put them on after taking out the floor and as much weight as possible!
Cheers,!
Eric
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Eric, I have been around a few years now and have seen many many projects just like yours. Please take this advice and do not be offended... STOP, do not go much further until you contact the health board, zoning, and who ever regulates food service in your area. They are going to have many standards you will need to build to. It has happened many times with these concession projects that someone says " I have yet to decide what exact type of concession trailer it will be, but I think something easy so I don't have to modify the outside" What is going to happen is you are going to hit walls you never anticipated and out of frustration you will just abandoned the project. I, and many have seen this over and over. Go in with a proper plan and there will not be any walls to run up against. There are standards and regulations about concession trailers in every State. Get to know what they are and work toward those standards instead of having to change everything you have done so far. I say none of these things to dissuade you or discourage your ideas, instead I am trying to help guide you to the right road you need to take.
I worked closely with a fella a few years ago who wanted to open a burger trailer in Michigan. He was thousands of dollars into it when he found out he could not even vend from it in his county. I think he had about $20k in when he just walked away.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Thanks!

Hey Frank
I couldn't agree more with you. I actually have already done just what you suggested. I have in my hands the "Food Establishment Guidelines" packet and a "Mobile Food Establishment Plan Review Packet".
My family owns a catering business and we have a commercial, health inspected kitchen in one of our buildings and I certainly know how tough the health department can be! That kitchen will actually be used as the commissary.
I actually helped run our catering business for a number of years in my 20s and have helped open several restaurants for friends who I've always encouraged to get the guidelines and stick to them. So I think this is sound advice.
I'm actually looking at this trailer as a muli-purpose unit. I'm not going to be personally running the business, my sister who runs the catering business will be using it some, along with some friends who have a BBQ place.
At the moment I'm working on the trailer just to get it to a base level, but I'm most likely going to go whole hog with a hood and fryers (that's why I'm gutting it, to make the frame stronger:-).

I appreciate the heads up. If you discourage anyone you give that same advice to I think you would be doing them a favor!

Best,
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Eric, I have been around a few years now and have seen many many projects just like yours. Please take this advice and do not be offended... STOP, do not go much further until you contact the health board, zoning, and who ever regulates food service in your area. They are going to have many standards you will need to build to. It has happened many times with these concession projects that someone says " I have yet to decide what exact type of concession trailer it will be, but I think something easy so I don't have to modify the outside" What is going to happen is you are going to hit walls you never anticipated and out of frustration you will just abandoned the project. I, and many have seen this over and over. Go in with a proper plan and there will not be any walls to run up against. There are standards and regulations about concession trailers in every State. Get to know what they are and work toward those standards instead of having to change everything you have done so far. I say none of these things to dissuade you or discourage your ideas, instead I am trying to help guide you to the right road you need to take.
I worked closely with a fella a few years ago who wanted to open a burger trailer in Michigan. He was thousands of dollars into it when he found out he could not even vend from it in his county. I think he had about $20k in when he just walked away.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Monkey Bars

Here are the extra large, adult monkey bars I built to get to the top of the AS...
It will be getting some plywood for the platform on top.

Oh, one more bonus we found...if the old speakers work in your AS, just run some speaker wire from a stereo and splice it in to all the speakers at the source and viola! you have music to work to!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Monkey Bars.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	146465  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Floor replacement

More work on the Safari... The floor is almost up...
When I bought her the PO had just had the rear of the main joists fixed by someone she knew...well it was a I suspected...a crappy job. The sister beam was welded onto a mostly rusted beam! (pic below) I'll be firing up the plasma cutter! It will be easy to fix now that the floor is up though!

I used a jack to jack the shell up off of the frame to slide some small 1X2 pieces in to support the shell and keep it lifted off the frame (so it didn't bend the flange around the edge). It looks like every single bolt that holds the shell to the frame will need to be replaced as they are all rusted out. I'm hoping we won't have another earthquake that could rock the shell off the frame!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	146834   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	146835  

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	146836  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
In the last photo I see the belly pan is still in place. You are going to have to remove that to replace those rusted out bolts you mentioned. There is no way around it, though many have tried. When ripping out the floor, have you made a template from the original floor or are you saving it as you go to copy later?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Eric looks like you are making good progress. Do you plan on replacing the entire floor?

Bob
Roadrunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Eric looks like you are making good progress. Do you plan on replacing the entire floor?

Bob
Yep! Will be replacing it all...I have the original floor to make templates out of, so that's a plus! Have the plasma cutter and mig welder ready, the work continues tomorrow, with pictures!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Bare bones

Well, we had a very productive last day of the year. Pulled up the rest of the floor, removed the entire belly pan, got her up on blocks and started grinding. I'll post plenty more pics tomorrow of the MASSIVE amounts of rust and holes in the large plates where the axles attach. Kinda scary actually.... Bought some heavy gauge wire for the mig!
We all agreed that welding is preferred over drilling out rivets and cleaning out old pink stuff! Lots of welding tomorrow!
It really seems that we can get to to the trailer while still keeping the shell "on" but have supported the shell from the ground in places since some of the outriggers just fell off. Having a blast!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Missing outriggers.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	147918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinding.jpg
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	147919  

Name:	Belly pan.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	147920   Click image for larger version

Name:	a big mess.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	147921  

Name:	last of the floor.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	147922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel well.jpg
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	147923  

Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Oh, and Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Oh, and Happy New Year everyone!
Same to you!!!! Nice to see the boy in the mix. Very nice touch! You said there is a massive plate at the axles. Do you mean the hanging plate that the axles bolt to?