Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1974 - 1979 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Safari

I just bought a 1979 Safarii, which has recently been imported from USA to Germany. There the technical details got changed according to the german TUEV (authority that controls the technical condition of cars etc.). Yesterday I took this silver bullet over into Austria. I will do some restoration of the interieur, maybe change the whole floorplan. As soon I have more details, I will post it here.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:56 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hans

Welcome to the forum. It is good to hear from Airstream owners in all the other countries and know that they value them as much as we do.

You are in a beautiful part of the world. I flew over there back in the 60s.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Hans,

I am thinking of going thru Austria with my AS and visit Hungary next month.
Do you know if the roads are safe over there. (not in the
mountains of course)

Ron

ps: congratulation! I'm sure you got yourself a nice AS.
Did you change your axles and brakes at the German dealer in Duisburg?
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hungary

Hi Ron, where are you from? What do you mean by safe? Safe streets in the sense of street conditions or safe in the sense of security (thieves etc.)? On Dec. 28th friends from Munich will visit me and they have been to Hungary with a trailer several times. So they have quite some experience. As soon as they are here, I will ask them and post the info here or per mail if you prefer.

YES, you got it! It was the german dealer in Duisburg who imported the Safari from the USA and changed brakes, axles, hitch and transformator (220 V --> 110V) and the electric wiring inside according to the regulations of the german TUEV. Soon I have to bring my silver bullet to the Austrian TUEV authorities and hope they will not require too many changes.

Hans
WELL, HERE IS MY BULLET:
Old 12-24-2002, 07:44 AM   #5

Hi Hans,

I'm from England,

We have exactly the same Safari, I don't think the years changed anything to their layout or build. (best size for Europe)

I wanted to visit Hungary as i have never been there. It will be most interesting to learn from your friend's experience, you can post here or PM as you wish.
I was concerned about security and also road conditions. Hoever I didn't realize it was so cold this time of the year (-18 says CNN)
Merry Xmas.

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hi John, thx for your nice welcome. Since you have been to Austria in the 60ies, why so not any more? Where have u been? Probably not with your trailer, didn´t you?
I am in the USA quite often for professional reasons (conventions).
Happy holidays,
Hans
Old 12-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hi Ron,
in case you travel to Hungary via Austria, you might park your trailer at the camping area "Finsterhof" in Asperhofen, which is very near the "Autobahn A1", where u probably drive from England via Vienna to Hungary. This camping area is very near Vienna also and even nearer (4km) to my house. So if you plan to stay a night at that camping place (they have open over winter, as I expect friends from Munich to live there from 29.12. - 4.1), we could meet if you want in case you travel by.
Happy holidays,
Hans
Old 12-27-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hans

Hans, I was stationed in Europe for a year during the Berlin Crisis in 1962 as a pilot. I flew over just about all of free Europe during that time and visited many places.

In the years after that, I worked for IBM and I spent a lot of time in Europe. Whenever I had a chance, I would extend a business trip into a vacation. That way, IBM paid my air fare.

Since I have retired, my only overseas trips have been to the United Kingdom. I have not been in Europe for several years now.

Nowdays, being retired, I must stretch my travel dollar a lot further. There is so much I have not seen in the US and the cost of one short European trip will buy me months of Airstream travel in the US.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote