Old 12-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Goldsboro , North Carolina
Water Pump Operation?

I am attempting to winterize my trailer today. When I went to use my water pump, no luck. So my question is... does there have to be more than a couple gallons of fluid (anti-freeze) in the fresh tank for the water pump to operate? The pump worked a few months ago when I had the tank full of water. I have the original pump from 72.

-Scott

Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
water pump operations

Check and make sure you are taped into the intake side of the pump and not the out put side. Make up a short peace of hose 2 to 3 feet long and fasten it the intake or fresh water tank side and place the other end of the hose into you winterizing solution and turn on the pump. If the pump is working it will pump the solution out of the container and into your lines. Open up a faucet in the bath and in the kitchen and allow the water to run until your solution comes out. Don't forget to drain your hot water heater.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Goldsboro , North Carolina
I am confused by your reply, let me rephrase my question.

How full does the fresh water tank need to be for the water pump to operate?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
On my 75 TW the last few gallons in the tank will not pump out as well. If I were to winterize (which I don't), I would use the hose in the container method. The PO of my trailer installed a valve just for that between the tank and the pump.

On edit: I need about 5 gallons for the pump to operate correctly.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
No antirfreeze in fresh H20 tank ...

I think what he was telling you is that you don't need any water in the tank for the pump to operate. But if there in no liquid coming into the pump, it likely will burn up after a not-too-long period of operation.

Standard way to winterize is NOT to put antifreeze in fresh water tank, but to drain it, and to drain all drainable lines. Then as dghhas says, attach a tube to input side of water pump, put tube into bottle of RV antifreeze, turn on pump and let it pump antifreeze through all your water lines, fittings, sprayers, etc.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
My '70 Safari had the original Par diaphragm pump in it. If that's what your is, it's possible that it may need a re-build. Fortunately, they're infinitely rebuild-able if you can still find a parts kit.

Roger
Old 12-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Waterpump & Antifreeze

I just winterized my 65 Safari and had the same problem. I have a new pump and it would not prime with only 2 gals. in the tank. I then put 6 gals. in tank and everything went well. Only problem I have is that I have no bypass on the vintage hot water tank so I used a few more gals as 6 went into the water heater. I was able to buy two cases of rv antifreeze at Lowes on sale for 2.85 per gal. So for less than $30.00 I have every part of our baby protected. I consider this a small price to pay. Can't wait for summer.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap

2010 31' Classic
Longmont , Colorado
Perhaps I am missing whats going on here, but it sounds like you are trying to winterize the trailer by putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pumping it through the system. That is now how it is done. You need a two way valve in line with the water pump input so you can switch the input to a hose which you put into the bottle of anti-freeze. If I am not understanding correctly then never mind.
Regards,
Ken
Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #9

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
A two-way valve isn't needed if you are able to remove the supply line coming from the fresh water tank to the pump and replace it with a short piece of hose. You then plunk the other end of the hose into your jug of antifreeze and turn on the pump.

Of course, the extra valve can make it more simple and elegant.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.
-- Egyptian
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The original question was about whether the water pump had died. The newer pumps are supposed to be able to run dry, but I don't know whether the older ones can. It may not be good for a pump to run dry, but if it's working, it will try to pump. Check the fuse, see if current is coming to the pump with a voltmeter. Pumps always worked before the time when they don't.

There are bypass kits available for the pump which allow you to pump antifreeze into the lines. You don't have to put antifreeze into the tank unless you have no bypass and want to pump antifreeze. Some antifreeze leaves a taste that is hard to get rid of, some doesn't. Flush and sanitize in the spring to get rid of the taste. Airstream will tell you to just blow out the lines with a compressor and only put antifreeze in the traps. Put a few cups in the grey and black tanks and some in the toilet.

Gene
Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #11

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Airstream will tell you to just blow out the lines with a compressor and only put antifreeze in the traps. Put a few cups in the grey and black tanks and some in the toilet.

Gene
Thanks exactly what they do, Gene. I had them winterize my TT when I was there this past week, and was surprised to see that there was no antifeeze put into the lines only into the P traps and the toilet bowl.

I was also surprised to see that my tech left the air compressor going for at least 10 minutes to blow the lines as clear as possible.

-- Egyptian
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Don't forget your cat nap

2010 31' Classic
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Thanks exactly what they do, Gene. I had them winterize my TT when I was there this past week, and was surprised to see that there was no antifeeze put into the lines only into the P traps and the toilet bowl.

I was also surprised to see that my tech left the air compressor going for at least 10 minutes to blow the lines as clear as possible.
That is what I did this year. It is my first year of winterizing. I have always had heat in my previous trailers. This one is too big for the driveway. I hope I got every little drop out.
Ken
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Is there some kind of problem that can be caused by putting 3 or 4 gallons of anti freeze in the fresh water tank and then pumping it through the system? I have been doing this for years now and come spring will flush the tank out 3 or 4 times and get on with life........Would be nice to know if in the long run am causing damage.....Thanks......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #14

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dennis,

IMHO, no harm other than the waste of antifreeze.

That tank is easily drained. If there is no water in it, what is there to freeze?

-- Egyptian