Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
santa rosa , California
Water on the tub

Hi there we just buy like month ago 1970 safari that I am trying to restore but yesterday a big storm hit an the next morning I found water on the tub and is coming from behind of the wall into the tub I don't know if the sewer vent is the one to blame for the problem & I don't know if shod be worry about the floor the floor in the bath, it feels solid

An another question on the back of the AS where the battery is is a small plastic hose what is the use for that
moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Some pictures of the tub situation would be useful. A picture of the hose in the battery area would be helpful as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moncho View Post
Hi there we just buy like month ago 1970 safari that I am trying to restore but yesterday a big storm hit an the next morning I found water on the tub and is coming from behind of the wall into the tub I don't know if the sewer vent is the one to blame for the problem & I don't know if shod be worry about the floor the floor in the bath, it feels solid

An another question on the back of the AS where the battery is is a small plastic hose what is the use for that

Check the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. They only last 2 to 3 years. You will have to take the cover off for the inspection.

The clear plastic hose, is a "vent" hose for the battery.

The battery had a cover placed on top of it, with the clear hose connected to it, and the other end of the hose going to a small vent hole that is just above the one stop center door.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
santa rosa , California
Hi Andy thanks your answer they are always really great and helpful

I call today to Inland RV to order all the gaskets for the window and door and the sewer vent and.... an a few other thinks here in northern california is raining like crazy and may poor AS is drowning

But I have another question an this is because I am new on this but if I understand well the 1970 safary do not have a grey water tank so.. the the grey water were it go? it goes to the black water? or just have a different exit how that works? I need to order a different part for draining the grey water? and do a need to keep the water tank with water all the time or id better to drainage

Thanks for all the help
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy thanks your answer they are always really great and helpful

I call today to Inland RV to order all the gaskets for the window and door and the sewer vent and.... an a few other thinks here in northern california is raining like crazy and may poor AS is drowning

But I have another question an this is because I am new on this but if I understand well the 1970 safary do not have a grey water tank so.. the the grey water were it go? it goes to the black water? or just have a different exit how that works? I need to order a different part for draining the grey water? and do a need to keep the water tank with water all the time or id better to drainage

Thanks for all the help
The gray water collects in the plumbing drain line, and backs up into the tub or shower, as the case may be.

The gray water, exits from the same outlet as the black water. When your rig is hooked up to a sewer inlet, the sewer hose is connected to the "collector". As you generate gray water, it simply flows thru the plumbing, thru the collector, thru the hose, and into the sewer. The same thing happens to the black water, once you pull the "dump valve".

DO NOT ever allow the gray water to enter the black water tank. If you do, the black water will back up into the gray water plumbing, and you would have created a real health hazard.

Many owners have a "tote tank" which is a portable tank, that they hook up to the trailer, to collect the gray water when not hooked up to a sewer line. When that tank gets full, you take it to the rest room in the campground, and empty it into a toilet.

If you wish, a gray tank can be added to the trailer, within the underbelly, but it must be carefully done, so that it will ride ok when the trailer is being towed, vent ok, and be connected to the sewer outlet fitting (the collector) and with it's own dump valve.

Andy
Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
santa rosa , California
Hi Andy thanks
One more question how do the grey water is going to enter in the black water, how can avoid that?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy thanks
One more question how do the grey water is going to enter in the black water, how can avoid that?
The black water valve, stays "closed" until your ready to empty that tank.

That keeps the black from backing up into the gray plumbing.

The onlky time the black valve is opened, is so that you can empty it.

When hooked up to a sewer, you must "NOT" keep the black valve open.

If you do, solids will build up in the black tank, and reach a point of OH OH. Now what do I do??????????? Not good.

Andy
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The gray water is plumbed totally separate from the black tank. Only the exit point is shared between the gray and black water and the black water will only drain when the black tank drain valve is pulled.

I don't have a gray tank either. I bought a 22 gallon Bluetote to collect my gray water and it works just fine and is much cheaper than retrofitting a gray tank.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
santa rosa , California
Thanks for the help on this

I have one more question about the tow vehicle and the sway control I have we are planing to tow the 1970 safari with a chevi cargo van 3/4 express 1500 tow rating 4300 max 5900
and I think the AS came with a old reese sway control you can see pics here can this combo you thinks this is a safe to drive al the way from northern California to el paso TX i do this every other month an I like to make sure is safe to do with the equipment i have an the new to me AS a I have the prodigy break controller

Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the help on this

I have one more question about the tow vehicle and the sway control I have we are planing to tow the 1970 safari with a chevi cargo van 3/4 express 1500 tow rating 4300 max 5900
and I think the AS came with a old reese sway control you can see pics here can this combo you thinks this is a safe to drive al the way from northern California to el paso TX i do this every other month an I like to make sure is safe to do with the equipment i have an the new to me AS a I have the prodigy break controller

What is the rating of the torsion bars?

If you don't knowm then measure the width of the top of the bar, as it enters the trunnion.

You will measure either 1", 1 1/8", or 1 1/4".

That will tell what the rating bars you have.

Andy
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
santa rosa , California
Hi Andy the size 1 1/8
And the hitch is reated to 5,000 to 500
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Andy what are the ratings for the 3 different width bars? Would be good to know for the rest of us.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Andy what are the ratings for the 3 different width bars? Would be good to know for the rest of us.
Reese torsion bar rating when used with the dual cam sway control.

1" = 600 pounds

1 1/8" = 750 pounds.

1 1/4" = 1000 pounds.

The towing weight has nothing to do with the tongue weight.

Andy
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
santa rosa , California
Hi Andy
So its correct these reese for the size of my AS 23' Safari? it's ok to drive the AS with the cargo van and the hitch that is in place? An I have another question the ball hitch is to low to the ground and it drags a lot you think is safe if a cut some of the extra metal that is a the bottom?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy
So its correct these reese for the size of my AS 23' Safari? it's ok to drive the AS with the cargo van and the hitch that is in place? An I have another question the ball hitch is to low to the ground and it drags a lot you think is safe if a cut some of the extra metal that is a the bottom?
Bottom of what??

How about posting a photo.

Andy