Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
Update on Lydia (the Tattooed Lady) was Newbe with '72 Twin

First I want to thank everyone who posts to these forums. I have been able to answer almost all my question just using the search feature.

Now for the update. I first posted in July as "Newbe with '72 Twin" and got lots of suggestions and encouragement. Lydia spent most of the summer at Airstream of New England, a great dealer and service recommended by folks on the forums. While there, she got an AC unit (never had one before), new refrigerator, heater, breaks tires and a brand new Zip Dee awning. They checked all the systems, electric (some bad decisions by a PO), propane (in great shape, just needed a new regulator), water, drainage, tanks and frame, locks, floors, windows, vents for leaks.

In August she got a companion, Groucho, her tow vehicle. Groucho is a dark grey 2010 Ford 150 with a long bed to accommodate our tandem bicycle.

In September we took her home and I pulled out all the soft goods, cleaned everything, polished the stove and oven and waxed the floor and tried out all the systems. I was very happy with what I found. A few signs of leaking, probably the windows, one small front corner of floor rot that we will fix in the spring. Otherwise everything looks great. She needs some serious cosmetic work but most of the tambours, doors hardware are in great shape. I'll keep the original finish and cabinets but plan on a modification to the beds to make a king out of the two twins. PO removed the front gaucho and put in a dinette, a good decision for our use.

This week we winterized as per suggestions on this forum. I will be making new curtains, cushion covers etc. over the winter. In the spring I plan to repaint the interior walls, reconfigure the beds and put in more storage. Then the big plan, tattoos for Lydia. My husband and I are both amateur face and body painters and we plan to use Lydia as a base for our body painting adventures. First big trip, Burning Man, gifting body painting, of course.

Again, thanks for al your help and I'll keep you posted.
PaintedWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
More updates

After a looong winter covered in snow, Lydia emerged more or less in tact. I have replaced all the window gaskets, pulled up the floor and calked around all the windows, sealed the bumper where the storage box connects and polished the rusted chrome hub caps. We found three small areas of floor rot in the front. I think that I know where the leaks are coming from. Today I removed all the silicone calk along one front seam. Hopefully resealing this will reduce the leaks that caused the floor rot. If that doesn't work I'll look into resealing the vent. I removed both twin beds the wall on the street side between the kitchen and bedroom area in order to make way for custom layout that will include a storage cabinet(for body paints) and pull out queen bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Lydia in snow.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	211260   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Front floor.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	211261  

Name:	LR wall removed.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	211262  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
More update on Lydia, heading out this weekend

Since may we have done nothing but work to get Lydia on the road and we take the plunge on Thursday. Out to the Berkshires before we head out on a 4,000+ mile trip to Burning Man. We have repaired all the leaks, repaired rot in the floors, put down new flooring, repainted, reupholstered, and put in a new folding bed and storage cabinet. I have started on her tattoos. Our tow vehicle, Groucho, is being engineered to carry our co2 tanks (for body painting), generator and tandem bicycle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LR 9029.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	217055   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR bathrrom sink.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	217056  

Name:	LR bed frame.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	217057   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR pin up.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	217058  

Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Wow, starting to really look great!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Wow is right, I love the body art!

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
Damascus , Oregon
Must be an engineer. Great/interesting use of the 80/20.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Nice, I would love to hear more about the 80-20 too.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Great Job Love the tattoo
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Maiden Voyage/Shake down Cruise

Took Lydia and Groucho to the Berkshires for the weekend. Probably the first time she's been more than 50 miles for over a decade. Everything went well until we hooked up the water and a pipe let loose. Fortunately we were in a very friendly place and got lots of help, parts and advise. Now we have a to do/to get list that will keep us busy for the next several days. The interior is almost finished and packed with just about all we plan to take. With full tanks she's still under her 5800 gross limit. We weighted her at the truck stop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LR interior 1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	217691   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRkitchen.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	217692  

Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Ready to head west

Lydia and Groucho are ready for their big adventure. I finished the last of her paintings and DH has finished the interior and Groucho's storage racks. Pretty much spent the entire spring and summer getting them ready. Now we can just hope that they will make the 4,000 mile trip to Burning Man in NV. We'll be passing through Ontario and Yellowstone along the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LR flowers curb side.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	218329   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR front.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	218330  

Name:	_LR street side.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	218331  
Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
More information on bed assembly

Here are some more photos of the 80/20 bed construction
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LR bed frame.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	253612   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9174.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	253613  

Old 12-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Drawers under the bed

The drawers under the bed lock during travel
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
Can you tell us a bit more about the construction on this bed? I've sen that sort of Alu in lab fixtures but don't know what it's called. Is all the weight on the extension supported on the slides, or are there wheels under the pull out?

I've been dabbling with the idea of converting a slide on one side to have 2 pull out positions. One for the standard twin, and the other for a full size width.

Very well done!
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
I can't tell you much but my husband can tell you everything you want to know.
The framing is called 80/20 https://www.8020.net/. He also used the same framing in the tow vehicle so that we can store our tandem bike, generator and some tanks, etc. The frame fully supports the bed and locks into the other side. there are locking drawers under each side. It's very easy to operate and relatively light weight. When closed we have a nice cozy sitting area and when open a Queen sized bed. If you want more technical info give me contact info and I'll have my husband, George get in touch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC9222.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	254767   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9224.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	254768  

Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
Perfect! That points me in the right direction. I didn't even know what to call the stuff to start googling it.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:03 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
The adventure continues

It's been a long time since I posted an update on Lydia. I want to encourage all of you who may be in the process of a renovation. We worked like crazy to get her ready for a cross country trip. Departed Arlington, MA on August 6. 2014 and haven't looked back. Lydia has been to Burning Man 4 times. She's also gone to just about all the National Parks in CA, OR and WA. Plus a trip through Idaho and the Canadian National Parks. The most recent trip this past May was to Bishop CA and Lake Tahoe. We were lucky to find a wonderful repair shop that specializes in vintage trailers in Lincoln CA, Harps RV. The owner Joel Harp installed an outdoor shower and grey water tank for us in 2015. This year we also replaced the original oven and the old hot water tank plus did some new plumbing and wiring. When we left in 2014 we never imagined how much we were going to enjoy camping with Lydia. It's been a wonderful adventure and we plan to continue traveling with our little Airstream for many more years. So, if you are starting or in the middle of a renovation of a vintage Airstream, keep up the good work, it's all worth it. Make sure that you get out on the road as soon as you can because that's what makes it all worth while.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
And ten years later

Wow, I haven't posted her in a long time. After 4 trips to Burning Man and lots of other travel we decided to take Lydia back home to the Boston area where we live(she was in storage on the West Coast). We traveled from Wenatchee WA, through CA, NV and AZ and NM for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Rally. After that we went to TX, OK, MO, Indiana, OH (stopped at the Mothership) PA NY and CT. WE visited friends all along the way. It was a great trip. Lydia has been a trooper over all the thousands of mile we have taken her with only minor problems. Now she's back hope and is gong to get some TLC. She's over 50 years old and still is a great trailer. We want to make a few improvements and repairs that we couldn't do on the road but we already have plans for a trip to Michigan and the UP next fall. If any of you are restoring an old girl like Lydia keep going, well worth it.