Old 05-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Shakedown safari

We took our first trip with our trailer last weekend and had a wonderful time!
The only unpleasant surprises as far as the trailer experience goes was the striker plate is worn out and the door doesn't want to close without some fussing, and on the way home (in 30 to 45 mph wind) we stopped for a burger, and looking at the rig from a distance, noticed that the air conditioner shroud was lifting in the front from the wind. Upon closer inspection when we got home, it appears to need replacement.

I know we can get an AC shroud, but is there going to be any problem getting a strike plate for the door? The metal is fatigued, and it eventually bends out of shape after the door is opened and closed a few times. We straightened it out a couple times with pliers during the campout, but obviously we wouldn't take it back out on the road in that condition.

After researching the forums, I am considering some kind of device that wedges in the handhold and helps keep the door shut. Someone asked for a picture to be posted, but I don't think there was. They said it was "F" shaped.
The wind foiled my attempts at picture taking, but I got one nice one of the campground. Without further ado Creekside RV Park, So. Fork, Bishop Creek, CA:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariShakedown.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	6538  

Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
nice image

Wow - what a beautiful trailer in a beautiful setting! I wish I could help with your questions but I am totally new to this. Mine is down in Los Banos getting a new dump valve installed and a new toilet. With that it will be fully functional, if not as pretty as yours...

Old 05-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wooden latch

I could never envision the wooden latch everyone talked about. Luckily Terry Tyler emailed me this picture. I can see how this simple solution would work nicely. However, my '71 airstream does not have the entry handle that would let this work.

My entry handle is curved and only open on the right side.

I have been toying with the idea of putting an eye bolt under the sink cabinet into the floor. Then when closing the door for travel, secure a bungie cord just long enough to reach from the eye bolt to the inside door handle (or a second eye bolt mounted on the door midway).

This way if the door lock failed the bungie would keep it closed. It would also not distract the finished surface of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wooden-lock.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	6594  
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Thanks for the compliment 71 safari! The camera loves her, but the naked eye definitely sees a few cosmetic flaws. On the streetside something scraped by close enough to tear the Land Yacht plaque off (thanks to Markus, that was one of the first things we got fixed). And if the door were closed, you'd see a diagonal gouge across the top. But she's sound, and that's the most important thing right now. We need to give her a good wash and wax as soon as we can. The walbernize is waiting in a bag by the door.
The campground is relatively remote for having full hookups - the best of both worlds to me, but might be expensive for some: $32 a night. It's in the Inyo Nat'l Forest, about 20 miles SWest of, and 4500 ft above Bishop, CA.

Thanks for posting the picture Tim. I now understand the "F" concept, This would definitely work for my trailer. I don't want to put in a deadbolt if I don't have to. My husband thinks putting in a new striker plate should pose no problems.
You definitely have a dilemma regarding keeping your door secure. When we noticed our shroud lifting halfway home, we attached a heavy duty ratchetting cargo strap from one wheel well, over the top of the shroud and hooked on to the other well. Snugged down, but not tight enough to crush the shroud or pull out the skin around the wells. There is simply nothing to tie to! The price we pay for aero-dynamics I guess: Although we keep the gas tank topped off, we could have made it to our destination on one tank of gas, not doable w/ our old 16' SOB. I was amazed. Also on the way home,other rigs had pulled off because of the wind, and those that stayed on were definitely listing (one semi truck was literally blown across the 4 lane road!), but not us!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Striker Plate

mtpalms,
I have a spare striker plate for our '71 Safari if you need it. It was worn some when I found a new one on ebay a couple of years ago. It might help. If you would like to have it, private message me with your address and I will send it to free of charge.
Dan