Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
Question about weight of 1972 Safari

We would appreciate anyone's input about this that can clear up some confusion. We have a 1972 Safari, twin axle. The data plate says gvwr is 5800, but almost every other source says it is nearer to 3200 lb.

see here to get an example of what others say about the AS:

http://vintage - airstream dot com/l...rstream-safari

who is right?
Thanks for any help. 2500 lbs. makes a big difference for us. We have a 2002 tudra that is rated for 7500 lbs. but my husband is about ready to sell the safari since 5800 lbs would be pushing it towing it cross country, up some big hills/mountains.

Brenda
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
so, after searching google (using google to search this forum is MUCH easier to find what you are looking for ,
I discovered there is a difference between the GVWR and the dry weight. Does that mean my AS probably does weigh somewhere around 3200#, but the maximum weight is 5800 #?

i am clueless! And this is our first camper we have towed, but we've had it a few years. Just finally getting the time and resources to fix it up and start traveling and need some answers.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The GVWR is the max. weight of the trailer and all cargo. It should be higher than the trailer weight. My 68 Trade Wind weighs 4300 loaded for a camping trip. Take an afternoon and go to a CAT scale at a truck stop, weigh the truck, trailer, both, get a tongue weight on the trailer. Go inside and tell the attendant what you are going to do, they are very helpful. The re-weights are only a dollar or two. Time and money well spent. I tow with a 2001 Tundra. Check the Tundra Owners manual for the GVWR for truck and trailer. The total weight is different depending on exact model of your Tundra. I would keep the total trailer weight under 80% of the max towing capacity of the truck. The truck has plenty of power for my trailer. CAUTION: Don't tow with the OD engaged. I just replaced my tranny (100K miles on the truck) and it was not cheap. Lots of info on the net about OD problems in the 01 and 02 Tundra's. Seems that even if you only use the OD on flat ground it can cause issues (expensive issues). Toyota is supposed to have the issue fixed in 03. I have a friend who drives an 01 who just had the same problem.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Year Model Length/Style DRY Weight Tongue Weight Hitch Height
1972 SAFARI LY 23 TWIN 3530 530 19.5
1972 SAFARI LY 23 DOUBLE 3570 535 19.5

This is the info I have from a list that I got from this forum. It has always been accurate from what I have seen to date.

It shows that your "dry" weight is ~3,500 lbs, so I would imagine that 5,800 gross is correct.

The "plate" you are referring to is where...? In the closet of your trailer?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Year Model Length/Style DRY Weight Tongue Weight Hitch Height
1972 SAFARI LY 23 TWIN 3530 530 19.5
1972 SAFARI LY 23 DOUBLE 3570 535 19.5

This is the info I have from a list that I got from this forum. It has always been accurate from what I have seen to date.

It shows that your "dry" weight is ~3,500 lbs, so I would imagine that 5,800 gross is correct.

The "plate" you are referring to is where...? In the closet of your trailer?

Thanks for your reply. That is good information! The data plate that is under the front wing windows is where I got the information. Is there a plate in the closet? I'll have to look.
Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
Thank you 68Twind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
The GVWR is the max. weight of the trailer and all cargo. It should be higher than the trailer weight. My 68 Trade Wind weighs 4300 loaded for a camping trip. Take an afternoon and go to a CAT scale at a truck stop, weigh the truck, trailer, both, get a tongue weight on the trailer. Go inside and tell the attendant what you are going to do, they are very helpful. The re-weights are only a dollar or two. Time and money well spent. I tow with a 2001 Tundra. Check the Tundra Owners manual for the GVWR for truck and trailer. The total weight is different depending on exact model of your Tundra. I would keep the total trailer weight under 80% of the max towing capacity of the truck. The truck has plenty of power for my trailer. CAUTION: Don't tow with the OD engaged. I just replaced my tranny (100K miles on the truck) and it was not cheap. Lots of info on the net about OD problems in the 01 and 02 Tundra's. Seems that even if you only use the OD on flat ground it can cause issues (expensive issues). Toyota is supposed to have the issue fixed in 03. I have a friend who drives an 01 who just had the same problem.
wow, that is sad about your tranny. So 80% is good, huh? That sounds about right then and I can keep my Safari! Thank you for your help.
And hubby just told me we have a 2003 tundra. But we got stuck with the suicide doors and toyota changed them the next year. Can't sell it though cause it's paid for.
Great advice about the scales and getting weighed. Better the trailer and the truck too. Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Weights at Airstream.com, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by holder310 View Post
Thanks for your reply. That is good information! The data plate that is under the front wing windows is where I got the information. Is there a plate in the closet? I'll have to look.
Thanks again!
You`re very welcome, Brenda. Some of the older AS TTs have a paper label stuck to the wall in the closet. Mine has a paper sheet glued to the wall in the overhead locker that sits over the refer (fridge).

I was just curious about yours. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, go to a scale and determine the real weight of your rig, loaded as you expect both the TV and the trailer will be when traveling. Measure the front wheel weight, the rear wheel weight, and the trailer weight on the wheels. Disconnect it and measure the tongue weight. Only with those numbers, not the published guesses will you have a true idea of what you are dealing with. It will also allow you to do the proper WD hitch set up.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote