Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Clarkton , North Carolina
Price Advice 1972 Airstream Safari Twin Axle

A close friend just inherited a 1972 Airstream Safari double axle. I haven't seen the trailer in person yet (will update this thread once I do), but she has sent pictures. My friend has offered me first dibs as she knows my husband and I have been looking for an Airstream in this size range for a while. We're aware that it will need some work and probably new appliances too, but I need a good place to start for valuing the trailer as my friend is trusting me to make a fair offer. She has noted that NADA values for a 1972 Safari run between $6200 -7500. Is this a fair number to start at and should I devalue for all issues I find (i.e. would that value assume no issues)? Looking for a fair deal for all involved. I'll post pictures in a reply as the last time I tried to post them, the thread timed out.
Wildwoman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Pictures of 1972 Safari

And here are some pictures. Thanks in advance

Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Always tough to tell by photos and issues like floor and frame condition can significantly impact value/price. I have bought and sold multiple vintage airstreams including that same model and vintage. At least here in SoCal it should easily sell for $15k assuming solid shell/frame. I did not notice any exterior damage and that is not common for an older trailer.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfconnor View Post
Always tough to tell by photos and issues like floor and frame condition can significantly impact value/price. I have bought and sold multiple vintage airstreams including that same model and vintage. At least here in SoCal it should easily sell for $15k assuming solid shell/frame. I did not notice any exterior damage and that is not common for an older trailer.
Thank you. Very helpful info. We're in NC, so probably not as high a value here. We'll be inspecting next weekend and we have our fingers crossed that the frame and floor are still in good shape. Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoman69 View Post
A close friend just inherited a 1972 Airstream Safari double axle. I haven't seen the trailer in person yet (will update this thread once I do), but she has sent pictures. My friend has offered me first dibs as she knows my husband and I have been looking for an Airstream in this size range for a while. We're aware that it will need some work and probably new appliances too, but I need a good place to start for valuing the trailer as my friend is trusting me to make a fair offer. She has noted that NADA values for a 1972 Safari run between $6200 -7500. Is this a fair number to start at and should I devalue for all issues I find (i.e. would that value assume no issues)? Looking for a fair deal for all involved. I'll post pictures in a reply as the last time I tried to post them, the thread timed out.
from pics, it looks solid. as everyone will tell you here, check the flooring for water damage & rot & see if you can view the fame too. Stand on the rear bumper and gently rock up & down , have someone look & see if the body moves with the bumper or if it separates. If just a little, no worries considering the age of the trailer, but if the significant separation movement, could be a sign of deeper issues with rot, have an AS expert take a look at that stage.
renovation with new appliances, axles, bedding etc etc is very costly. You know what a new fridge is.. $2k?!! new beds? axles cost about $2k i think ... new tires are a must for safety.. I own a 1972 and while biased, I think it's by far the best vintage from the 70's ... things went to hell after 1976 or so ... then the 80's comes and oh boy, did AS lose their style.... god awful mom & pop interiors.. dark woods, hideous fabrics ... just throw away stuff now. If you can get for under 10k & no flooring damage, a steal ... these things can only appreciate ..
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
from pics, it looks solid. as everyone will tell you here, check the flooring for water damage & rot & see if you can view the fame too. Stand on the rear bumper and gently rock up & down , have someone look & see if the body moves with the bumper or if it separates. If just a little, no worries considering the age of the trailer, but if the significant separation movement, could be a sign of deeper issues with rot, have an AS expert take a look at that stage.
renovation with new appliances, axles, bedding etc etc is very costly. You know what a new fridge is.. $2k?!! new beds? axles cost about $2k i think ... new tires are a must for safety.. I own a 1972 and while biased, I think it's by far the best vintage from the 70's ... things went to hell after 1976 or so ... then the 80's comes and oh boy, did AS lose their style.... god awful mom & pop interiors.. dark woods, hideous fabrics ... just throw away stuff now. If you can get for under 10k & no flooring damage, a steal ... these things can only appreciate ..
Great advice! We'll definitely try the bumper trick! Thank you for your help. We've researched the replacement items and we know we'll be in for at least 5K right off the bat.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
That is a very nice looking 72 Safari 23' judging only from the photos posted. Your assessment of the trailers "needs" to make it a reliable, safe and fun travel trailer will add or subtract from the value.

From the photos, I see a trailer that is worth well into the 5 figures, maybe $13k or so. I can easily find another 7 to 8k in renovations. That's big money, but that's what I see. A good, straight body with good windows and doors is worth a lot.

Take a look at 70s model year trailers here on these forum classifieds and see what you think. Project trailers are 5k, and renovated trailers are 30k. Here is a link you might like to explore.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ort/price_desc

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Very nice looking Safari. Don't use the NADA values are worthless for Airstream Trailers. My 75 sold for over 3X the published value. Vintage prices have really gone up in the last couple of years. Plan on spending some money to make the unit campable. I woud suggest new axles and shock, tires, battery and converter for starters. You might be surprised to find most, if not all, of the appliances will be functional. The used some very solid stuff back then.

Good luck with the unit!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
IF the floor, and frame are solid, and no sign of leaks, AND if all appliances are working, then this AS, for it's age would qualify as a "cream puff" in my view and easily be worth twice the stated value.

IF floor and frame are rotted and rusted, it would still be worth about what is being stated, given the shell is in such good shape. The interior is also worth something, to vintage restorers if not yourself.

As you know, if you want to do a full restoration or remodel, replace the axels, add a grey tank, etc. then you are in for a substantial investment, but likely still thousands less than a new one.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
another "Restorer's" opinion

In Airstream's history, that's a special trailer.

Not all early Seventies Safaris came with tandem axle option. The 23' tandem axle trailer is very desirable. Looking at the trailer with a “What I don't have to do” perspective, I see nearly perfect skins with original patina. That's worth a boat-load of time and money. The interior is clean, original, and all there… a collectors dream. It appears to be well cared for.

Safari 23' is a very functional size. It'll snug into about any campsite, and is easy on the tow vehicle.

Just about any rolling Airstream is worth 5K as a rebuildable core. Keep in mind that collectable Airstreams increase in value exponentially as they decrease in length. That trailer is worth more than the casual commenter might guess. I'd group this trailer with the investment-value trailers along with the Whale-tails and Sixties Bambis.

I'd expect the floor to have a few punky spots, Frame might need some metal, but that wouldn't affect my offer one bit. If it needs axles, that's lots cheaper than replacing a dented end-cap segment.

If it were my opportunity, I wouldn't nickel and dime down the price by “what it needs”. That'd be like dickering the value of a '57 Chevy Barn-find Nomad because it needs tires.

Old Tandem Safaris in this condition require stewardship, needs to be curated as much as enjoyed. There weren't that many "collectable" trailers built in the seventies. You have an opportunity to step into a great deal. Very cool trailer.

Without seeing it in person, un-inspected, just from pictures, I'd pay $15,000 for it.

Airstream NADA means absolutely nothing. My 68GT is worth at least, Ten Times what NADA lists...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968gtNADA.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	334088  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
How are you're re-hab skills?

I'm 6 weeks (first time Airstream owner) into the dismantle/salvage/tagging/storing of the interior of a 1970 25' Tradewind. The smell was my first clue this would be a full renovation. Patience and delicate removal have salvaged 90% of cabinets & fixtures. After complete carpet removal - 50% of the perimeter of floor deck under the exterior wall was rot from wetness. Insulation under the floor was soaked end to end. Now searching for the leaks. Also, removed black water tank because the frame rusted away (could be seen from bumper compartment).

All this work has had a degree of terror - purchase price/new tires/KBOOM/scrub brushes and labor (@ $ 25/hr) and material cost are approaching $ 8,000 to date. Terror - because I'm still doing demolition and wife is asking questions (she still loves me after 22 years of renovating our house).

Fortunately I have more than weekday evenings and Saturdays - since choosing this "project".
The one thing I've realized - before launching into all this fun(?) - is to determine what kind of camping will be done. Are you planning to use more than 2 weeks a year? Where will you store - keep dry - batteries charged - etc. Will you always have power/water connections at the campsite?

May take more than a couple of beers/bottles of wine to see the answers.

Good luck,G Ranch
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
$6500-$9,000 In Texas. If already fixed up maybe $12k-$20k. I see frame off refurbs for way more around here but I think most are overpriced.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Potential

1973 tandem Safari on eBay today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73safaritandem.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	334103

This one's "fixed up". I'd prefer an unmolested original condition.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoman69 View Post
Look...just sold my avion 1973....23’ travelcader...for 3500...in 2009... was very nice...things go up...this looks good
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
We paid $3000 for ours but yours is in much better shape.
Watch the title part....get one!
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ranch View Post
The one thing I've realized - before launching into all this fun(?) - is to determine what kind of camping will be done. Are you planning to use more than 2 weeks a year? Where will you store - keep dry - batteries charged - etc. Will you always have power/water connections at the campsite?

May take more than a couple of beers/bottles of wine to see the answers.

Good luck,G Ranch
First off - to all who have commented - thank you. I value the advise you've all provided.

G Ranch, You're cracking me up, and I truly appreciate it. My husband and I have been renovating our house for 12 years, and we've always got more projects going on than we probably should. Hoping to use it several times a year. My husband is an artisan and does several shows a year. I often accompany him and see this taking the place of many a night in a bed that's not ours. We also want to travel some around the country and I simply hate hotel rooms. I think you get the gist. We're looking at carports to park it under or maybe a Quonset hut. We can keep the batteries charged and we do plan to make it fully boondockable - is that a word? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I think you should feel guilty if you pay less than 10K. Even on the “east coast”. One could easily get significantly more in CA. Looks to be in great shape.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here is a thought since it is friends. Both of you, the owner and you, each hire an appraiser. An appraisal will cost about $300. It involves an inspection and comparables to determine current market value. You would likely need one to get "agreed value" insurance on the Safari anyway.

Then split the difference between the two appraisals. I would not expect wild differences between the two numbers; e.g. not one at $5k and one at $50k. You might even agree that the numbers must be within 10% of each other. Fair for everyone with no hard feelings.

These good condition vintage Airstreams are not cheapies. They are fun, and they are in high demand.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Here is a thought since it is friends. Both of you, the owner and you, each hire an appraiser. An appraisal will cost about $300. It involves an inspection and comparables to determine current market value. You would likely need one to get "agreed value" insurance on the Safari anyway.

David
Excellent suggestion David. I've been looking into insurance and just learned about "agreed value" insurance yesterday. This is probably a great way to make sure we are both happy with the outcome.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
A Steal

If you can get it for $7500, that's a steal. Has excellent body and also inside from pics is in very good condition. The things you can't see are what you need to be concerned about, axles, rust issues, especially frame and tire condition an age. I would think that anyone that kept one this nice would be on top of issues you need to check. If everything works and no major issues, you're looking at a 12-15 thousand dollar trailer. My opinion
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote