Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Newbie with a '72 Safari

Well, after much deliberation between a Tiny 20' Argosy Minuet and a 24' Safari, I've thrown caution to the wind in regards to tow weight and decided to go with the Land Yacht!
My husband will be going to pick her up on Sunday. I'm sure he's going to be upset at how big and heavy she is, but I plan on full timing in her for a year and I figured if I had to borrow a bigger tow vehicle for the move it was worth it.
I think she's in pretty good shape. She does have a few broken tambour slides and the bathroom could use some work, but I'm looking forward to making her pretty again. Everything else is in working order and ready for living in.
My biggest question now is whether I want to take her back to her original glory or if I want to update her and make her new on the inside....

Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
There are some things to check before you go fetch the trailer in Houston. Take at least basic tools with you, because there are little things that often come up when you're getting a trailer into traveling condition.

- Do you have a brake controller and is the tow vehicle wired for a 7-pin connector and a brake controller?

- Do you have a jack? (a scissor jack will work, I carry a hydraulic bottle jack.)

- When was the last time this trailer was towed much? When were the wheel bearings last inspected and repacked with grease?

- What's the condition and age of the tires? Is there a spare and what condition is it in?

- Does the door latch securely? Often people who have the original latches and locks use simple add-ons to keep the door securely closed while towing.

If you have a brake controller and a 7-pin setup on the tow vehicle, you should be prepared to check for a non-standard pinout. About halfway down this page at etrailer is a wiring layout for the modern 7-pin format, Airstream used a different layout in the '70s, and often people change the layout on their tow vehicle instead of the trailer for some reason. I had to adjust mine when I got it, it's a common issue.

There will be more suggestions, I'm sure. Congratulations on getting your first, have a safe trip home with it!

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Heh... you've been all ABOUT the Forums lately. I came across another thread in which you posted the Craigslist ad for the Houston trailer.

If the seller is to be believed, you may be good on tires, bearings and brakes for a while, which is good stuff. Hopefully when they say "the refrigerator was replaced with propane/12 volt to run on either" they mean it's an RV fridge that runs on propane or 120v AC, which is good for the value if/when you resell it. For your actual purposes of using the trailer in a fixed location for a year or two, a small 120V fridge would be just as good but having a new/working RV fridge is good for resale since it's a $1k+ part.

Longer-term things to look at will be the DC converter to run the lights/charge batteries. For the setup you're describing, if/when you have a modern converter that will run fine without the battery in the loop it might be good to install a battery cutout switch, so you can occasionally charge the battery but disconnect it most of the time since you'll have 120v hookups. That may extend the life of the battery and keep it available so you can have lights and the vent fan in a power outage.

Happy trails!

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
They last time they used her was last summer. The tires are about 3 years old, and could use a little air, but looked otherwise fine. It has a 7 pin layout, as well as an emergency brake pin thingy. The wheel bearing were repacked and brakes were done before their last trip. It has electrical brakes in it. The spare tire was inside, next to the sink...
The door handle is broken, but it has a deadbolt that keeps the door closed. I'll be living in it in Del Rio, so I made sure it had a good locking door.
I have to work this weekend, so I'm sending hubby and his buddy to go bring it back. Thanks for the checklist, I'll make sure to pass it on to him so he knows what to look for.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
He pointed out the DC converter in the bathroom cabinet. In our last motorhome the boys changed a bunch of stuff in the converter box. I'll have them work on this one eventually. I'm thinking of converting the lights to LED's and adding a solar panel. I'd like to make it a little easier to go off grid with her. About the only thing on her that's broken is the water pump, which I'm not too worried about. It's about $100 for a new one, and I'll be hooked up at a park for now.
I am kinda worried about the broken doors in the wetbath. I'm worried about water getting everywhere when I shower..
Old 12-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie with a 72 Safari

Greetings shrimptank!

Just as a "heads-up" to you and your husband when you go to get your Safari -- Airstream utilized a non-standard pin-pattern for wiring their trailer connector during the 1970s. This is something that previous owner(s) may or may not have changed, so the person doing the towing should be prepared to rewire the trailer connector end to match the "industry-standard" tow vehicle connect (it would also be a good idea to carry a new trailer end that matches the tow vehicle as an insurance policy just in case the trailer end has excessive corrossion or other issues).

Good luck with your coach . . . the Safari tends to be a popular choice.

Kevin

P.S.: The dry weight of the 1972 Safari 23-foot is 3,570 pounds with a dry hitch weight of 535 pounds -- for more information about the 1972 Safari, see this link. Even though the Safari may appear significantly larger than the Argosy Minuet, it is only about 18-inches longer than the Minuet 6.7 Metre and about 8-inches wider than the Minuet -- those extra inches, however, will make for quite a difference for full-time living.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Well, while at the RV shop today wishing I had bought the Minuet, a lady came up to me as says, You're Shrimptank aren't you? She had bought the Argosy, and I told her I hoped it was better than what I got...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
So far, we've had to replace the gas lines that someone had "fixed" with JB weld, replace the open wiring next to the water heater tank, cut off the extension on the power line in that had been taped together... They're going to fix the plumbing that's leaking. So there goes about another $2k right off the bat.
I've found a hole under the bathroom. I'll replace the subfloor under there in a couple months. I'll have to wait till it warms up a bit so I don't freeze to death with no floor.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I imagine the person with the Argosy will find as many issues as you do, these are vintage, they will all have something to fix.... The one thing the Argosy will never be able to have is a mirror shine!
More than likely there are rust issues with the frame on both your trailer and the other one you looked at. Always a lot to do.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
yes, I see lots of laying on my back underneath her scraping and then painting with kill rust... I did expect that with her havin been in Houston.
It was funny when I took her in to the RV place. When I handed over the keys, the guy immediately recognized the key ring as an oil company he used to work for. She still has the stickers on the side.
I'm telling myself that it'll all be ok. Instill love the layout and I think she has lots of potential and I'll be comfortable in her for the next few months.
I'll be on here LOTS though looking for advice on fixing her up.
I'm so glad I found this forum.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
The forum is a HUGE help, no doubt about that!
The best part about it for me was to see the process before diving into it.

As far as the rust goes, just make sure that the rust isn't so bad that it might weaken it structurally. Houston actually should be a good place for it to have come from as far as rust goes since it's dryer there. Below is a link to my project, my Safari came from VA Beach and I think that (being from the beach) was a big reason I am currently chopping off large, rusted sections of the trailer and welding on new pieces.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f421...ybe-85368.html

That being said I don't feel that I didn't get a decent deal on the trailer since I saw it as basically buying the aluminum skin (which was by far the best of all that I had seen) and knowing that all the rest of the stuff was 30+ years old (and quite possibly useless).

Just don't let it overwhelm you. Pick one thing and see it through (unless you have to do things at the same time which is often the case). I've found that getting one thing done and being able to stand back and look at the fact that it's done is VERY helpful.

AND WHEN IN DOUBT, STAND BACK AND LOOK AT THE SMOOTH ALUMINUM, THE REST IS JUST WINDOW DRESSING ANYWAY :-)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Well, I'm down in Del Rio in a hotel, but the RV place left me a message today that my girl was ready. I've got orders for Bastrop this weekend, so I guess I'll pick her up before or after the weekend is over. Can't wait to bring her down here. At least this hotel has a microwave and fridge, but I'm looking forward to having a stove and my own space. I think I'll also feel more secure in the RV in a park.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #13

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
I'll be interested to hear what you think of parks around Del Rio. My partner's family is down there, so an Airstream trip to Val Verde County is probably in our future.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
Glad to hear that they have her ready for you.
Now the fun begins!
Best of luck with your new baby!