Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I just found a '72 safari

I have just found, and purchased unseen, a 1972 Safari, with dual axles, and not many dings.

Things I noticed from the pictures was on of the curved windows at the front was hazed. Is this a common problem and can it be fixed. The other question this brought to mind is..

On some Airstreams, I have seen a dark plastic cover to the front windows. Was this option available for the '72 year, or would any year around then fit. If so, where could I purchase such a cover.

The trailer does not come with an awning - are these easy to: 1, find for the model, and 2, fit to it.

What particular problems should I look for first? do you know of any thing likely to be wrong with the trailer.

Theo
Old 01-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

"Things I noticed from the pictures was on of the curved windows at the front was hazed. Is this a common problem and can it be fixed."

Did they have double pane Corning windows in '72? If so, they frequently are fogged. Do a search for "Corning" and you will get a lot of information about the windows.

"On some Airstreams, I have seen a dark plastic cover to the front windows. Was this option available for the '72 year, or would any year around then fit. If so, where could I purchase such a cover."

I believe these are still available from Airstream Dealers. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

"The trailer does not come with an awning - are these easy to: 1, find for the model, and 2, fit to it."

You choice here is largely Zipdee. They make the correct, curved arms to fit your coach. Don't buy one until you know you want one. We have yet to extend ours while camping. But lots of people love them.

"What particular problems should I look for first? do you know of any thing likely to be wrong with the trailer."

Hooboy! First? Floor rot, I suppose. No, check for worn out torsion axles. No, the FIRST thing is tires, bearings, and brakes, before you move it a foot. Ok, then axles and floor rot. And tail droop (do a search), and rear end separation (search again). Neither of these last two items are common on a 23'. Check for working appliances. Working 12 volt system. Working plumbing.

Of course, the first thing I always check for is loose change behind the cushions.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Mark,

I've been looking into Airstreams for a while (oder models) and just read something that interested me. Do you know if most or all A/S trailers use torsion axles? I had a doosie of a prob once with one and swore I'd never again have a trailer with torsion. Had to order one while on a trip and boy was it a nightmare.

Any comforting words to calm my fears?

Steve
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Steve, congratulations on your purchase. I bought the first Airstream I looked at and love it. Then I started learing about what I bought by reading all the posts here. Hope your boss at work is easygoing, and doesn't mind all the web surfing you're gonna be doing.

Re: the torsion axles. yes, from 1961 on, Airstream used the DuraTorque axle. Very simple design, and effective. My 42 yr old Airstream still is on it's original axles. Yes they are marginal now, and I'll need to replace em in the next couple of years, but hey, 42 yrs, ya gotta love longevity like that! There are a bunch of threads on here regarding axles, check Inland Rv for info on the system. Good luck, and don't get too hung up on the details, just enjoy the ride! Mike
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

'71 Safari

Stevo,
Glad you found the Safari. You will love the size. Great to pull and plenty of room. Our 23 foot '71 Safari doesn't have an awning and we do very well without one. Inland RV has them for sale, they run about $1000. They also have the dark rock shields for the front. Check out their website, they have lots of stuff and if it is not listed on the website, just call and they may have what you need. This Forum has been wonderful help for us in fixing up our trailer.
Dan
Lebanon,TN
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Whoa guys,

As much as I'd like to claim it, the Safari is Theo's (up top). I was just commenting on the torsion axle - I had an incident over the summer where I was driving through a park (really slow) and the front of my tandem caught a railroad tie and it bent the axle. After taking it to several places, the only option was to replace it, which took way too long for being on a trip.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I just found a '72 Safari

Theo,

I just sold my '73 Safari 23 footer. I hope you love your new one as much as I loved my old one. I owned her for 7 years and recently upgraded to a 31 footer. (I was looking for a 27 ft. and just couldn't help myself when this one came along!).

The rock guard is important to have and I always use my awning, even when camping in the driveway! Of course, you will have to purchase tiki lights to go on your awning. The best advice has come from this forum, so keep in touch!

Happy Airstreamin'!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Thank you so much for the welcome, and the information guys. I am excited about this Airstream, and intend to make it new again. I have a lot of experience with more conventional box type Rv trailers, having spent nearly 30 years playing with them. I restored a few of them in my time, so I do not anticipate any mind blowing experiences with the Airstream. I have had a trailer with torsion bar suspension before, but am not familiar with it at all. I am assuming that you can tell if it is going south the same way you would with a conventional suspension, i.e. sagging..

The first thing has to be the rock guard.. they look so good.

Next question. I have been out of RVing for a short while, and am not sure about the 'new' standard for gas bottles - can anyone give a link to better understand it, and how to tell if I need to buy new bottles.

Thanks again Guys..

Theo
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Theo, The OPD valve bottles are readily identified by the triangular shape of the valve knobs rather than round or other shape. I recently replaced the old valve on a 40# aluminum tank with an OPD valve and I believe it cost me $54 including filling the bottle. You have to make sure that the correct dip tube is used because lengths are different between steel and alum. tanks.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I was told by my LP dealer that the 30# Aluminum LP tanks did not need to have the OPD as long as the certification was current, that they were considered a commercial tank, I will inquire a little further the next time I talk to him. FWIW the 100#'ers that I am using right now are non-OPD.

Theo,
Congratulations on your new aquistion, for the axles go to www.inlandrv.com and click on the axle link, it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the axles on an Airstream BTW the rock guard costs less than one of those wing windows if one happens to get broken. The rock guards apparently are only available in the dark tint and run somewhere in the $300-$350 range.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I've heard so many things I don't know what to believe anymore. I've heard that 40# and over are exempt but others have said no. The local TN. propane dealer will fill them if they are in good shape whether they have an OPD valve or not. I was worried that if I was traveling through another state who is not sure either and I needed a refill then they may not do it for me.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
If my tanks have not been modernised, what is needed to get them to comply - is it something that can easily be done, or should it only be done at an RV shop..

Theo
Old 01-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Certify tanks

Theo,
I'd check around RV shops and propane distributors to get a price on the correct valves, labor to remove old ones and install the new and then certify your tanks if they are in need of it. It definately pays to shop around since I had been quoted a low of $12 to a high of $36 per valve last year for just the part.

If the price quotes for everything seem more than you want to pay and your existing tanks are steel, you might consider switching to Worthington aluminum tanks. These tanks really make it nice when taking them to be filled since they are so light. A number of forum members have purchased new tanks from the same source so you might do a forum search to find out who did the post and where they ordered theirs.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #14
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Thank you I have ordered two tanks.

Next question. Which furnace is my rig likely to have installed?

I suppose I could wait until I see it, Monday.

Theo
Old 01-11-2004, 11:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Theo,
My 31' has a Suburban NT-30 but yours may have a smaller unit since there is 8' less to heat. I'm sure someone on the forum with a 23' will be able to tell you.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-11-2004, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Theo,
According to my 1975 Service Manual the 25' had the NT-22 in it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:40 AM   #17
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs down

Rock guards make it impossible to see thru in your rear view mirror...a PITA as far as i'm concerned
Check out the Fiamma awning, much lighter an user friendly

www.fiamma.com (choose European English language for best pics)

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote