Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #1

Cool I just bought a '72 Safari...

Hello people my name is Matthew and I am reconditioning my "new" 72. Could anyone help me find a nice blueprint of the water-gas-and electrical systems. The manual I have - but it kinda stinks and Id like to know whats/what. I also would like to find a shower curtain that would be the right size and snap where it needs it snap. Am I too anal? Does anyone have a solar charger and panal that they could recomend? How should I fix the hole in the sun damaged sink? Im off to tile the bathroom maybe Ill mosaic the sink......Peace, Matt
Mt.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I just bought a 72 Safari...

Greetings Matt!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Man
Hello people my name is Matthew and I am reconditioning my "new" 72. Could anyone help me find a nice blueprint of the water-gas-and electrical systems. The manual I have - but it kinda stinks and Id like to know whats/what. I also would like to find a shower curtain that would be the right size and snap where it needs it snap. Am I too anal? Does anyone have a solar charger and panal that they could recomend? How should I fix the hole in the sun damaged sink? Im off to tile the bathroom maybe Ill mosaic the sink......Peace, Matt
In regard to the Service Manual for your '72 Safari, it is possible to obtain a copy of the factory service manual from:

Quote:
Manuals

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
The above information is quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club website.

While a service manual will be of benefit, you will likely find that many of the plumbing and electrical systems have been repaired by both professional as well as amateurs - - so there may be variations between what is found in the manual and what actually exists.

In regard to the shower curtain, most owner's modify a standard home curtain to fit the opening. The snaps and the installation tool can be purchased from a sewing notions store as well as some Airstream dealers. It may be necessary to sew the hangers/glides into the top edge of the shower curtain depending upon the configuration of your current shower curtain/door arrangement. The track for the slide mechansims is also available from several sources that attaches to the ceiling if you happen to have a coach with the folding shower door arrangement.

My Overlander has a solar array that was installed by AJL Solar during the WBCCI International Rally at the Sioux Falls, SD (2000). I have been very well pleased with the installation and performance of the installation. You can find AJL Solar at:

AJL Solar
3014 Appaloosa Dr.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406

Phone: (928) 453-9288

In regard to the vanity sink, I suspect that you will find that it is ABS plastic. A repair kit for ABS plastic would likely handle the situation.

Good luck with your Safari!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Smile

Welcome Matt,

I have a 71. They're the perfect size - big enough to live in FT, as I am doing for the moment, and small enough to squeeze into most State Parks. Regarding your shower question, I don't use mine unless there is no other option - don't like wetting the bathroom down too much due to the age of the rig and becuase I don't appear to have any rot in the floor yet. Maybe you have the full bath - mine is wet bath. Just be careful as the water can drain all over through old seams.

take care, john
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up question about 72 Safari please...

Hello Matt and all,
I am thinking of buying a 72 Safari, and I am wondering what the story is with the 'wet bath'? Does that mean that you take a shower in the bathroom and the water goes over the sink and toilet? thanks ,in advance,jani
Jani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Yes. A wet bath means you shower with the sink and toilet getting wet.

At first we hated it but we have gotten used to it. It's not so bad. The plus is you get a larger shower area to move around it. We got a squeegee to clean up after and that helped.

We also got a small entrance carpet to through on the floor for during the times the shower is not used.

Matt. If you have any specific questions on the plumbing and stuff let me know. I replumbed all of my '71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani
Hello Matt and all,
I am thinking of buying a 72 Safari, and I am wondering what the story is with the 'wet bath'? Does that mean that you take a shower in the bathroom and the water goes over the sink and toilet? thanks ,in advance,jani
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Man
Congrats! I just bought a '72 Land Yacht. I'm new to vintage Airstreaming as well. Post some pics on here and let us see that sucker!

Ben
Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tim,Thanks for the answer! I thought that was what it meant, but not sure. There's a 23 ft that I'm looking at now, and it has a wet bath, and I'm not sure if my husband and I would like that.
jani
Jani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Slight bunny trail...

What is a "normal" size for a wetbath?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani
Tim,Thanks for the answer! I thought that was what it meant, but not sure. There's a 23 ft that I'm looking at now, and it has a wet bath, and I'm not sure if my husband and I would like that.
jani
I think if your getting a unit 25 feet or bigger, than a seperate shower is the way to go. That is what I will be looking for on the next one.

But, the smaller trailers really do well with the wet bath. It allows for a bigger shower and does not intrude on the trailer space too much.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Hey Safari lovers, I am kind of new here too, I have a 1964 22 footer safari that i want to restore and just bought a 1977 23 footer that I can use right now ( got the camping traveling bug while working on the old 64.) We hit the road in the newer one in 9 days for a little over a week trip. You got to just love the Safari its the perfect size in my humble oppinon.

Ro
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Got pics?

Roy B. - We have a '76 Safari that I'd love to compare notes on. Do you have any pictures you can post?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
I will try and take some this week-end and post them, it will be interesting to compare them.

ro
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Great!

I'll try to get some interior shots posted too.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Whoo hoo, another 23' Safari! Ours has a regular shower though, which I like better. It even has a little seat to sit on while you soap up!
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
pictures

RoyB -- thanks for posting your pictures. We did a little work over the weekend and got the interior back together so I could take a few pics. You'll see that we still don't have the floor finished so I put down a few throw rugs over the plywood. There's still a lot we want to do, but for now we just want to get it ready to start using -- and soon!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
Slight bunny trail...

What is a "normal" size for a wetbath?
Most are around 30"x36-40".
The "advantage" to this, is it allows you to perform all your daily ablutions in one sitting .