Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Day 2 with our '71 Safari pics and problems

Sorry for the new thread, but this appears to be the only way to add photos from my PC, which are needed for this.

First, if anyone wanted the 3 old tires and rims I mentioned yesterday, here's a photo of the one I kept as a spare. The others are at Airstream of Chicago until disposed of.

Second, if anyone wants the mouse-eaten front couches I removed today, let me know soon, before I put them in the trash.

Third, my first big boo boo. I had no trouble opening my rear window today, but when I tried to close it, several of the rivets on the top hinge failed, leaving the window hanging on by just a few rivets, and me still unable to budge the window to close it. Other windows open and close easily, so I have no idea what's wrong, but really want to figure it out before the next rain or windstorm. See the photos, in case that helps.

Fourth, I need to fix some tambour doors, but have no idea how to get the existing tambour out of its track short of breaking it free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old tire and rim.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	190683   Click image for larger version

Name:	front couches from '71 Safari.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	190684  

Name:	rear window coming off at top hinge when try to close.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	190685   Click image for larger version

Name:	closeup of rear window top hinge failing when try to close.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	190686  

Name:	bath tambour doors.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	190687   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley tambour doors.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	190688  

MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Update: The rear window problem resolved itself this afternoon as my wife tried to help me coax the window down after cleaning and lubing the top hinge. Unfortunately, it did so via the remaining rivets failing, so now the hinge is off the window, and the window is held in place at top via aluminum tape across its top and sides. Here's hoping that lasts until we can have the window and its hinge reunited and reinstalled.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
You can use standard pop rivets just to reattach the hinge, make sure you bed it with a polyurethane sealant (not silicone caulk). If you want it to look factory than you will need to get some olympic rivets and rent or buy a rivet shaver to get that nice clean rounded look of the originals.

The tambour on these trailers if pretty rinky dink if you catch my drift. Its made of some type of composite wood material like mdf and can crack at the edges. Best thing you can do is try and manipulate it back into the track. Sounds like you have a bit of a project on your hands.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Hi Mr.Jim. Sorry to hear about your rear window. We had the same problem with our curdside front window. Nothing like a heart stopper to pull up in your driveway during a rain and seeing the top of your window open and no hinge.
Thankfully I found the hinge inside the trailer. So for a quick fix, I popped and few 1/8 rivets threw the back. So the mushroom was on the front. Not a pretty sight but at least it kept the rain out until I could find a permanent fix.
So the next day went to my local farm co-op and found a nice small 1/8 aluminum buck rivet that was a perfect match.
If you need a few send me a PM with your addy and how many you need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rivet3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	200527  
Attached Images

Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Fixed by dealer

Thanks much for the offer of buck rivets. We ended up letting our Airstream dealer reattach the rear window.