Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Talking Carrying Canoe on top of 1971 Safari

We have a son in Colorado and we want to take him his 14 foot canoe. We live in NJ. We are thinking about loading it on top of our 1971 Safari. It would fit over the air conditioner and we could tie it down in the front and back of the trailer.

Would there be a problem with the wind resistance building up under the canoe that might cause it to go flying onto the highway when we are traveling on the interstates? Loading it on top of the trailer will also be a project.

Anyone have any thoughts about this whole idea?
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would be concerned about the wind resistance creating dents in the aluminum. But even more likely, would be rub marks from the canoe & tiedowns.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I would be concerned about the wind resistance creating dents in the aluminum. But even more likely, would be rub marks from the canoe & tiedowns.

Shari
I would also be conceerned with potential damage to the air conditioner, and shroud, from the canoe continually bouncing against it.
My initial reaction would be to say, "don't do it."
Old 07-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Get the rubrail canoe foam blocks from your local outfitter. This will keep the canoe from damaging or being damaged during transport. If its only 14' why not put it on top of the tug? That is where I carry my 18'-6" one.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
What is wrong with the top of yourTV/ car???

I'm with Shari the rope will rub on the trailer and make a nice black mess - as well how heavy is your canoe?? - usually just enough support for the AC without added weight up there - and with a 71 if you have not checked your axles - you might be having a canoe for two ocasions by the time you get to where you are going.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Just my .o2 I put my 18 ft canoe on my pickup. I had a Rack system installed on my canopy. It rides great there and keeps the bugs off my tt. Plus it is easy to put up there and take down.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thoughts you ask ...

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts about this whole idea?
Yeah, the idea stinks

Put it on the tow vehicle!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I vote for on the tow vehicle. Few canoes are beamy enough to be wider than the AC unit. Then the foam gunwale blocks do tend to allow big movements sideways when trucks pass -- either from back or oncoming. Airstreams are very high when it comes to trying to get up on top and mount a canoe. And there is no purchase point on the trailer for a mid-canoe cross strap --- even if there were you would mar the plasticote something fierce from rubbing while underway! Transport conditions tend to get hairiest when it gets windy and they always will hit you at right angles at some point -- which is likely to happen on such a long trip. A canoe needs all the anchoring of a strong-drawing sail on a sailing vessel.

Shops that sell canoes tend to have the foam blocks and strap sets for you. Keep your tow vehicle clean and wax the roof before you ever leave. Don't fool around -- that is a mighty long distance to be transporting and expecting nothing but benign conditions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Thanks for all your input. It really sounds like a bad idea and we are abandoning it. Our tow vehicle (Titan) is not adaptable to carrying a canoe. With the potential problems in transporting, it is better to try to sell the one in NJ and buy another one in Colorado.

Larry
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
Thanks for all your input. It really sounds like a bad idea and we are abandoning it. Our tow vehicle (Titan) is not adaptable to carrying a canoe. With the potential problems in transporting, it is better to try to sell the one in NJ and buy another one in Colorado.

Larry
Unless you are emotionally attached to your NJ canoe, that may be best for all concerned, both people and equipment. Canoes are (relatively) inexpensive, Airstreams are not.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71

Larry
Larry, Don't give up. Here is my kayak solution with the Titan. I'm sure you can figure out how to carry a canoe. The overhead racks are from Nissan and the carry system is Yakima.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TitanKayak.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	13706  
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Talking

I've got a Titan also and have seen these carry bars on another. It is proper to mount a kayak as in Davydd's picture. Always transport a canoe upside down or keel up.

If you go this route for carrying the canoe you'll have spent close to half the price of a very nice canoe. Might as well give your son the Titan too!! Wa-a-ay Cool, Dad!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I've got a Titan also and have seen these carry bars on another. It is proper to mount a kayak as in Davydd's picture. Always transport a canoe upside down or keel up.

If you go this route for carrying the canoe you'll have spent close to half the price of a very nice canoe. Might as well give your son the Titan too!! Wa-a-ay Cool, Dad!!!
I didn't say it was cheap. But it is cheaper than getting a new tow vehicle. I had the kayak saddles from using them on other auto solutions. Over the years I have collected more mounting solutions than you can imagine. And I bet the next vehicle will demand yet another mounting solution. I have the Yakima bars that I don't use here and used to carry our canoe (upside down of course) with the mounting stops Yakima sells. We have a canoe but find the kayaks more fun to use. The only place I would not use them would be in the Boundary Waters. The canoe still rules supreme there.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've been looking at racks on the www.thule.com site. I'm comtemplating a canoe and rack purchase next April to add to my outdoor pleasure.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I have purchased a few Airstreams that came with unmounted awnings that i wanted to take home, I opened the front window and removed the screen and fed the awning into the trailer.

Why not do this with the canoe if it will fit thru the window opening.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I've been looking at racks on the www.thule.com site. I'm comtemplating a canoe and rack purchase next April to add to my outdoor pleasure.
Hey Craig, I can't get the web site to work. Does it do anything?
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

The Thule site is : www.thuleracks.com

I've had Thule on my last 4 cars, going back to 1995. If you can get a rack for the Titan, and I think they do make a "generic" truck tower system for probably a bit less than Nissan, the canoe carrier attachment is amazingly stable and easy to set up, I highly recommend it and Thule in general. That said, I just sold my canoe this summer as I am no longer within a few hours of the Boundary Waters--moving west--and plan to buy a kayak next spring! Thule isn't cheap but you might find those racks quite useful for bikes or other equipment once you deliver the canoe. Good luck!
Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
I have purchased a few Airstreams that came with unmounted awnings that i wanted to take home, I opened the front window and removed the screen and fed the awning into the trailer.

Why not do this with the canoe if it will fit thru the window opening.
Now that is some great thinking!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Why can't you just make a rack out of 2x4's or something similar for the Titan? Doesn't it have slots in the top of the bedrail that you could fit those into and make your own canoe carrier. Lots of people who have trucks do that.

I have a Hauler (brandname) aluminum ladder rack on the back of my Ford F250 that I use to carry my cataraft. It matches the Airstream's aluminum. That might be another option, although more expensive than making your own rack.

On a somewhat different subject, I have a pair of Yakima cartop carriers in like new condition that I used on the top of my Ford Expedition several years ago. They are built like a tank, and are aerodynamically designed. I only used them a couple times before selling my Expedition, so they just sit around collecting dust. If anyone is interested, I would part with them for a song (less than a price of a full fledged opera, but slightly more than that cheap punk rock!).

John
Old 08-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sorry for posting just part of the Thule site. On the site I posted you have to click on the vehicle rack configuration you want but I don't see one for trucks. Thulerack is the correct site.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote