Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
pulled it out of the shop today...time to swap axles, and finish up the belly pan.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
New axles, tires, brakes, etc. Belly pan is about done. Still so much to do...and we are planning on a little trip with the trailer on the 28th, if it's ready to go. Won't be finished, but it would have enough to camp in.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sweet rig jforb!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Thanks!

I did a little work today, got the propane plumbing finished, and tried it out. Had to redo one flare (the first one I made, of course), then it didn't leak. Stove works. Furnace works. Water heater works, although I didn't run it more than a few seconds, since it has no water in it. I still need to do all the fresh water plumbing.

I think I'll camp out tonight, and see how it works.

(I'm posting this from inside the Airstream, on my laptop, using the house wifi...fun!)

Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforb View Post
Thanks!

I did a little work today, got the propane plumbing finished, and tried it out. Had to redo one flare (the first one I made, of course), then it didn't leak. Stove works. Furnace works. Water heater works, although I didn't run it more than a few seconds, since it has no water in it. I still need to do all the fresh water plumbing.

I think I'll camp out tonight, and see how it works.

(I'm posting this from inside the Airstream, on my laptop, using the house wifi...fun!)

LOVE the black wheels ... did you buy new or have the originals sand blasted ? My '72 wheels are thrashed...not sure if cheaper to buy a sand blaster myself and refurbish or buy a new set .. ?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Thanks! the wheels were supposed to be black, but they are dark walnut brown (it's hard for my old eyes to read paint cans like I used to). They original wheels were black, and the two replacement wheels (later factory type) were gray, and the two new wheels I bought were also gray. I sandblasted the used ones, and just spray can painted all 4. I still have the two original wheels, but they are pretty rusty on the back side. The originals have clips for the early style hubcaps, the wheels I used all have lugs for newer style caps. But I need to buy some of the deep ones, the 1970's truck hubcaps I have won't fit.

The furnace worked all night. I did some plumbing today, and just tried it out...no leaks on the pressure side (amazing, as I see it). But the sink trap is dripping. I guess I need to replace that. I left the old plumbing for the galley sink drain and vents, I guess it was a mistake. Oh well. It looks like it's just leaking at the screw together joint that I disassembled when I removed the sink. Maybe the angle is wrong, or something.

Also got the two new 30lb propane tanks purged and filled. Only $35 for the pair, which I guess is not too bad.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforb View Post
Thanks! the wheels were supposed to be black, but they are dark walnut brown (it's hard for my old eyes to read paint cans like I used to). They original wheels were black, and the two replacement wheels (later factory type) were gray, and the two new wheels I bought were also gray. I sandblasted the used ones, and just spray can painted all 4. I still have the two original wheels, but they are pretty rusty on the back side. The originals have clips for the early style hubcaps, the wheels I used all have lugs for newer style caps. But I need to buy some of the deep ones, the 1970's truck hubcaps I have won't fit.

The furnace worked all night. I did some plumbing today, and just tried it out...no leaks on the pressure side (amazing, as I see it). But the sink trap is dripping. I guess I need to replace that. I left the old plumbing for the galley sink drain and vents, I guess it was a mistake. Oh well. It looks like it's just leaking at the screw together joint that I disassembled when I removed the sink. Maybe the angle is wrong, or something.

Also got the two new 30lb propane tanks purged and filled. Only $35 for the pair, which I guess is not too bad.
found a metal worker where I live but he said would be way cheaper for me to buy my own sand blaster and do myslef ..
Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
See what powder coating places can do. They sandblast as the first step in the process....
Old 02-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
VERY COOL! allot of great looking progress in a real short amount of time. Love the Lincoln!
Don't forget about Smoke Alarm & Carbon Monoxide Detectors...I hid mine in the closet just across from the bed (CO Detector at about the same height of our heads when sleeping. And I installed the LPG Detector just under the mattress.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Thanks for the tip on the detectors, I hadn't thought of them...
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
I've been working on the bathroom, made the shower wall, and a couple other cabinet/wall things. And got the plumbing all done. Had only one leak, there was a nick on the end of the threaded neck on the shower valve, so the fitting wouldn't seal on it...did a little redneck machining with my lathe, all better.

Also got the solar panels and charge controller in the mail, so I installed them. We have sun charging now.

I don't know what's up with the pictures, they appear sidways or right side up depending on what I use to view them. Sorry about that.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom02.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	280400   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom03.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	280401  

Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Jforb that looks very nice. Clean lines. Did you opt to not place a sink in bathroom and use the kitchen instead or is it just not visible.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Sierra Vista , Arizona
That's right, we decided to forgo the lavatory, and use the kitchen sink. The vent for it was a problem...since I remove the closet, where it used to be.

I stayed up till midnight working on the shower curtain, and got that done. It works, I stayed in the Airstream last night, in the yard, and took a shower there this morning. It was a bit chilly, 27 degrees in the morning, so the furnace was running about half the time. So far, so good.