Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Goldsboro , North Carolina
'72 Safari Brake questions

I just bought a 72 23ft Safari. The tow home was successful, however when I was backing the trailer into the driveway I could hear a clanking and scraping noise. I removed the wheels and hubs to find you most all brake return springs broken. I would like some advice on wether I should replace the springs or the whole back plate. And if replace the back plate should I have the original hubs turned or replace them? One final question, what size of back plates do I have?
72safari23ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
72 Safari Brake questions

Greetings 72safari23ft!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72safari23ft View Post
I just bought a 72 23ft Safari. The tow home was successful, however when I was backing the trailer into the driveway I could hear a clanking and scraping noise. I removed the wheels and hubs to find you most all brake return springs broken. I would like some advice on wether I should replace the springs or the whole back plate. And if replace the back plate should I have the original hubs turned or replace them? One final question, what size of back plates do I have?
First, yes, I would suggest installing fully loaded backing plates. This move will give you all new hardware at a cost that is a significant savings over buying pieces separately. You will have the peace of mind knowing that all components are new.

Second, do not condemn your brake drums until they have been inspected. Like automobile/light truck drums they have specifications for minimum thickness, etc.

Third, I would suggest having the drums turned and the shoes machined to match your freshened drums. Prior to owning my Overlander, I would have never known to have this done -- the technician who overhauled my brakes in 1999 insisted that this was necessary for optimum brake performance -- what a difference that one small step made -- smoother, shurer braking and less mechanical noises from the trailer brakes.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Your Airstream has 12 inch brakes (backing plates).

While your at it, replace the shocks as well.

You should also consider installing Centramatic balancers.

But before you do anything, check the axles out to make sure they have some life left.

If they don't, then you can replace them and upgrade to new style hub and drums as well as the brakes. Will save you money.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Goldsboro , North Carolina
I greatly appreciate the replies. I will definitely be replacing the backing plates. I have found some that are the correct size. However I can only find them with white wire magnets (6K rating) and mine are green wire magnets (3.5k rating). Will it matter if I install the 6k rated backing plates?
72safari23ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I greatly appreciate the replies. I will definitely be replacing the backing plates. I have found some that are the correct size. However I can only find them with white wire magnets (6K rating) and mine are green wire magnets (3.5k rating). Will it matter if I install the 6k rated backing plates?
No.

If anything, you may have to back off on the brake controller a little bit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote