Old 09-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Zip Dee Awning hook lost...

On our last outting, the little Zip Dee awning safety hook that looks like a backward "L" fell off somewhere between storage and destination.

I know the hook was on the the coach before I took off from the storage place, as this is one of the things I check on my walk-around before departure.

Fortunately, the phillips head screw and two nylon washers were still in place upon my arrival to campground.

I called Zip Dee and they agreed to replace the hook, and just needed my credit card #. I told them I didn't think that was going to happen since I got the trailer new in May. The Zip Dee person talked with the "boss" and he "approved" my free replacement, though there was a noticeable attitude change for the worse after that.

Maybe I should have contacted AS first, since they installed it.

So, check the screw that holds your awning hook. According to Zip Dee, AS should have used Loc-Tite or something on that screw to keep it in place. I will definately use the Loc-Tite stuff when I try an re-install this hook. I don't want to travel around with out this back-up.

See You.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by crazylev

So, check the screw that holds your awning hook. According to Zip Dee, AS should have used Loc-Tite or something on that screw to keep it in place. I will definately use the Loc-Tite stuff when I try an re-install this hook. I don't want to travel around with out this back-up.

See You.

My hook on the main awning had gotten loose and sloppy and I tightened it up after getting home from our Mackinaw City rally. It will be interesting to see if it stays tight. I never had the hook loosen up on my '01.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Jonathan, what is "LocTite stuff?" Is this something we all should be doing for preventive maintenance? Thanks for a little more info!
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Jonathan, what is "LocTite stuff?" Is this something we all should be doing for preventive maintenance? Thanks for a little more info!
Loctite is a thread locker that works to lock a nut or bolt in place. A Threadlocker is an anaerobic adhesive, meaning it bonds in the absence of air. Most adhesives need air to cure, Loctite developed Threadlockers for the specific application where there is no air access. Picture Posted below.
Attached Images
Just adding my 2 worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Western , Oregon
ZipDee ongoings!

OK, when you put up your Zip-Dee awning, there is a tremendous force exerted against the trailer, a wham against the looks tight, right! That should hold your ZD awning tight against the trailer! OK, I then tighten both the round Whatevers on both ends with the "magic wand AS provides you with, then I put the "hook" into the round hole with the the "magic wand"! Now, I find it inconceivable that any screws would come loose due to these activities, but could come loose d/t bumpy roads! I'm "Green" when it comes to the "Tear Down" (securing) of your AS for travel. I would first call AS, (vs Zip Dee) to solve these problems. Have you been over some bumpy roads during your last trip? Did you follow your standard arrival/departure checklists?
Every time I travel, I do something dumb! Whether it's not opening the stove vent cover outside, or switching over the battery to "use", I'm amazed how much I forget each time I take our new AS out!
Good luck with your new "Bambi"
(almost bought a 19', but changed to 22') Maybe I should buy at 25'??????
Jim & Cheryl

2005 28' CCD

2013 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.73 rear axle, Max Tow Pkg
Equalizer hitch
Honda 3000 genset
WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience, but thanks for the heads-up on this.

One of these hooks on my 2004 unit is very loose as well, and I better get it tightened or I'll loose it soon as well. I had incorrectly assumed that it was manufactured so the screw could be tightened or loosened, but would not come completely out, but I see that is a wrong assumption. I doubt that the factory put Loctite (or anything similar) on mine, so I can see this is something that needs to be done.

I have an even worse problem now with the "J" hook on my main awning than you had. Apparently, when I had been retracting my awning, I had not always been securing the awning arms in the top pin hole (the holes farther down the arms are where the pin secures the awning in an upright, extended position). So, whenever I opened or closed the awning the awning roll would hit the "J" hook.
I made an appointment with Bretz RV (only Airstream dealer in MT) in Missoula, MT for what I thought would be a minor adjustment to the awning or the hook, and told them NOT to move the hook riveted to the trailer. Anyway, the service guy at Bretz RV promptly moved the "J" hook, put new rivet holes in the top of my trailer, smeared silicone all over it, scratched the top and sides of my trailer, and made made my awning even harder to open than before. (Now, I'll be heading to the factory to see what can be done, if anything to remedy Bretz screw-up.)

By the way, I asked Bretz to do several other minor repairs and they SCREWED UP EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE ITEMS in one way or another - a word to the wise if you're looking at dealing with Bretz.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote