Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Zion & Bryce Campground Tips

We are 56 days into our first "snowbird adventure". We have spent most of Jan-Feb in AZ and CA but heading back to AZ ( west side then north) into NV and southern Utah. Any expert "tips" would be greatly appreciated. We have travelled thus far without reservations and moving with the weather to stay warm and dry. We expect to be in southern Utah early- mid March before heading slowly back east.
Many thanks,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Zion NP basically has 2 campgrounds: the Watchman CG offers revs, and sometimes you need them. We tried to get a 3-night res. for late March, and they were full up, so we booked in one of the RV parks in Springdale, the gateway community.

The South CG is first-come, first serve, but the trailer sites can fill up early. I've seen RVs lining up at the entrance at 9:00 am to bag the first vacated sites.

(The primitive CG at Lava Point is probably still snowed in-- although the Utahns on this forum should have an update on how dry it's been in their part of the West.)

You can try to book the Watchman CG on-line or by calling the 1-800 number on the ZNP website. Campgrounds in Zion - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service) Sometimes they have cancellations, but they are awfully popular in spring.

Early March is probably better than late March, so hopefully you'll get in with no troubles.

Bryce Canyon is stunningly beautiful, but also up very high in elevation. There can be snow throughout March. We've usually opted to stay at Ruby's Inn, just outside the park, with the luxury of hookups and nicely wooded sites.Ruby's Inn Bryce Canyon Lodging | Lodging in Bryce Canyon
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you are into dogs or animals at all I would suggest a stop at Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, UT. They have two full service concrete pad sites on 3,000 + acres they own and rescue almost any kind of animal. Largest no-kill rescue in the world. My wife and I stayed there this past fall for a week and loved it. Not sure when the sites open in the spring. Of seven nights we had the place to ourselves for 4 of the nights, NO LIGHTS at all.

Enjoy
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Following this Thread..thinking about going in April/May
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've planned a trip to North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce in early June. I monitored the reserve sites at North Rim Campground, Watchman and Bryce prior to my 6 month window opening up and was able to reserve at all three when my days opened up. Looks like Watchman in Zion is all booked up in March but there is South campground in the park that is first come first serve. Two loops on Watchman have electricity so I needed to book early to get one of those sites. Gotta keep my dog cool under the AC in June. There are private campgrounds outside the Zion Park and Bryce. Those are your best bets especially if you need hookups.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just looked at Ruby's near Bryce and their campground doesn't open until April.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
FYI I've camped at Ruby's in May and it went below 32°. Totally unexpected, so the outside hose had ice in it, in the morning.

And there was snow on the ground.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
If you can get into Walkman campground, Loops A or B, they are the best. They have electric hookups (not sewer or water though).

I've spent a week in each of the two loops and it is so nice to have electricity without having to run a generator. Our Airstream has a heat pump instead of a regular Air conditioner, so we are able to use it for heat (with their electricity) down to 40 degree outside temperature. One of the weeks we were their was this last October, the other the year before. Walkman has nice rest rooms, but does not have showers.

You do not want to show up earlier than your reservations though, as we showed up late the night before hoping to get a one night spot before our reservations, and got shooed away by security and had to back track some 20+ miles on windy roads to a WalMart for that night.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Drummond , Wisconsin
Thanks for the post, we are planning the same area in May.
Reg Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Preview shots ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0521.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	233270   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0528.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	233271  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
We went to Bryce in 05 still had snow on the ground early June also snowed some one day. We where in our popup at the time glad it melted fast but the hodo's looked cool with snow on them.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We have stayed at Ferber Resorts in Springdale a number of times. It is a commercial RV place with hookups for $45 a night. The sites are level and it is just outside the park in the town of Springdale. It is walking distance to restaurants and stores.
Zion National Park Campground — Zion Canyon Campground and RV Resort — 479 Zion Park Blvd., Springdale, UT, 84767 — (435) 772-3237

Tom

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
There are other RV parks located near the major entrance to Bryce Canyon, but we've not stayed in them. The park is popular with x-c skiers and snowmobilers (on the main drive,) so hopefully at least one is open in early March. Panguitch, Utah bills itself as the gateway to Bryce, but it's not that close, and is a cold place this time of year. Try Tropic, Utah, which sits under the park. I believe the CG in the park is open all year, but this would likely be winter boondocking in early March.

Dogs generally are not permitted on trails in US national parks, with the exception of the Pa'rus trail in Zion NP (which is also wheel chair accessible.) There is a kennel in nearby Rockville, Utah, which has space for both day- and overnight boarders. We've not used them before but made a reservation for our dog for two nights for our upcoming trip:

Doggy Dude Ranch | Southern Utah's premier dog care facility with camp-like fun!

Zion's high season is probably from March through October. I know some Streamers prefer to take their chances, but this can be one busy park. It attracts many foreign visitors. And rightfully so. I'd go for revs. in the Watchman CG if you can get them.

We spent our honeymoon in Zion NP, and it is a very special place!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
I might also mention that if you plan to drive your AS through the Zion tunnel, you will need to pay a small fee to purchase a permit. Then rangers are posted at each end, to let one-way traffic go through at alternating intervals. The tunnel is well worth it, even if you're not planning to tow your AS that way! Amazing views through the windows.

Also, during the busy season, ZNP has shuttle buses to go up the canyon. These run often, early, and late. You will be required to leave your vehicle in the CG or visitor center.

Dinner at the lodge in the park is a nice experience. They require dinner reservations in advance when they're busy.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
We have used Doggie Dude Ranch for two Jack Russell's and it was great. Highly recommend. We stayed just outside of the park on the East side. FYI they have a manikin in a police car that looks so real you will never guess it's not. I stopped and actually took photos of it! We were at Bauers RV park. Hook ups. Clean. Laundry. Easy drive in to Zion.
Peggy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
We like to stay at Kodachrome State Park outside of Bryce Canyon NP, beautiful campground and only 20 minutes to Bryce. We find the facilities much better than those in the campgrounds at Bryce, some sites with full hookups, some without, and nice showers.

Watchman Campground in Zion NP has recently been renovated with beautiful sites and great facilities.
Our September site at Zion NP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425338134.032470.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	233460

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Kodachrome SP campground is closed this June. They are paving the roads in the campground. We wanted to stay there. Staying at Ruby's instead.
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Zion & Bryce Campground Tips

We stayed at the Willow Wind RV park in Hurricane, UT.
On the west side of Zion.
Left our dog at Doggy Dude Ranch.
Caught the shuttle in Springdale.
Dairy Queen is just a few blocks away!!! From the RV park.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
both parks are stunningly beautiful. we were there in late April and Bryce was snow and ice covered so we could not hike any of the trails. Zion was open with the shuttle buses running, a great idea, but the water so too high to hike the stream bed. your timing on this is probably a month or more too early, i'd say, and looking at the current weather picture, i would guess snow is currently falling in that area. keep in mind the elevation of both parks before you decide to head that way.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We have been to Zion in April and November. The last time we were there in April there were incredible thunder storms. There were too many waterfalls from the cliffs to count, it was incredible. In November we have had everything from warm weather to snow. The shuttles can be a bit of a pain, but if you walk 100 yards away from a shuttle stop you will most likely be alone. Most folks ride the shuttle to a point of interest, get off, look, and get back on.

We have used the Doggy Dude Ranch and it is great.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote