Old 03-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
We have used Doggie Dude Ranch for two Jack Russell's and it was great. Highly recommend. We stayed just outside of the park on the East side. FYI they have a manikin in a police car that looks so real you will never guess it's not. I stopped and actually took photos of it! We were at Bauers RV park. Hook ups. Clean. Laundry. Easy drive in to Zion.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
We like to stay at Kodachrome State Park outside of Bryce Canyon NP, beautiful campground and only 20 minutes to Bryce. We find the facilities much better than those in the campgrounds at Bryce, some sites with full hookups, some without, and nice showers.

Watchman Campground in Zion NP has recently been renovated with beautiful sites and great facilities.
Our September site at Zion NP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425338134.032470.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	233460

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Kodachrome SP campground is closed this June. They are paving the roads in the campground. We wanted to stay there. Staying at Ruby's instead.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Zion & Bryce Campground Tips

We stayed at the Willow Wind RV park in Hurricane, UT.
On the west side of Zion.
Left our dog at Doggy Dude Ranch.
Caught the shuttle in Springdale.
Dairy Queen is just a few blocks away!!! From the RV park.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #19
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
both parks are stunningly beautiful. we were there in late April and Bryce was snow and ice covered so we could not hike any of the trails. Zion was open with the shuttle buses running, a great idea, but the water so too high to hike the stream bed. your timing on this is probably a month or more too early, i'd say, and looking at the current weather picture, i would guess snow is currently falling in that area. keep in mind the elevation of both parks before you decide to head that way.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #20
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We have been to Zion in April and November. The last time we were there in April there were incredible thunder storms. There were too many waterfalls from the cliffs to count, it was incredible. In November we have had everything from warm weather to snow. The shuttles can be a bit of a pain, but if you walk 100 yards away from a shuttle stop you will most likely be alone. Most folks ride the shuttle to a point of interest, get off, look, and get back on.

We have used the Doggy Dude Ranch and it is great.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Both parks really are amazing. Here is a photo of my campsite last fall in Zion's Watchman campground.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141107_171139.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	233583  
Old 03-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
The shuttle is the best thing to happen to Zion Canyon in recent memory. Easy to get on and off. No auto noise and fumes. The canyon is so quiet now. Makes one want to talk only in whispers!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Heading to Zion NP tomorrow....weather looks great for our 6 day stay! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions....we've been "On the Road" since 1/2/15 being our first long adventure thus far and happy with our Airstream 20' Flying Cloud!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #24
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Heading to Zion NP tomorrow....weather looks great for our 6 day stay! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions....we've been "On the Road" since 1/2/15 being our first long adventure thus far and happy with our Airstream 20' Flying Cloud!

I hope you'll post your experience in Zion. I used to frequent Zion in the early spring, usually April, and the campgrounds and park were empty.... That was the late 80's and 90's. Last year in mid March, no reservations.... absolute zoo! It was the last week for cars In the valley and they were everywhere.... Zion has become very popular due to it's relative close proximity to Las Vegas and the throngs of foreigners that are either bussed in or in rentals. Sites are reserved months in advance and at 20 some dollars a night many are unoccupied but you can't have them because they're paid for. And that is the beauty of the res. system..... I could go on but, it would become a rant.

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post

Have a great time, and please post pictures!

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi Stan,
You are so fortunate to live in a beautiful place! We have enjoyed western Texas, Arizona, Southern California, Nevada but southern Utah is spectacular! This is our first visit to Utah and we have enjoyed the surrounding landscapes of Snow Canyon,St. George, Zion and headed to Bryce, Escalante, Coral Reefs next week!
Happy Spring,
FCloud9
Old 03-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
I might also mention that if you plan to drive your AS through the Zion tunnel, you will need to pay a small fee to purchase a permit. Then rangers are posted at each end, to let one-way traffic go through at alternating intervals.
I have an International Serenity 27FB pulled by a Ford F-250 Crewcab. How tight of a tunnel is it? Will it be big enough for my rig? I am coming from the East and wanted to take Hwy 9 into Zion but now I am concerned about the difficulty of negotiating the tunnels.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:09 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Zion & Bryce Campground Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I have an International Serenity 27FB pulled by a Ford F-250 Crewcab. How tight of a tunnel is it? Will it be big enough for my rig? I am coming from the East and wanted to take Hwy 9 into Zion but now I am concerned about the difficulty of negotiating the tunnels.

We are currently in Zion and have driven through the tunnel with tow vehicle only but will use the tunnel again as we head towards Bryce next week. NP fee is $15.00 which allows two passes through the tunnel with your trailer....park rangers assist "single lane passage" through tunnel.
The tunnel is 1.1 miles long and the view for passengers is great through the carved viewing windows!

Oh....you will not have a problem with your rig....we watched 40' coach with Jeep hitched behind cone through...but we were only watching not driving.