Old 06-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado

Check out other road trip threads on Alaska, Alaska Hwy., etc. I, too, wish we were going this year. Most of the Alaska Hwy is a wide, well paved and maintained highway. When you get far enough north, the road starts deteriorating with frost heaves (well marked with red flags by the highway plus signs), but is generally a good road. There's always construction somewhere. I can't remember any particularly scary heights, though some other roads can have those problems. The roads in Canada are generally better than the ones in Alaska.

We love to visit northern Canada. Good paved road all the way to Dawson City. There's a very good Italian restaurant in downtown Whitehorse that I can't remember the name of. You can drive to Inuvik on the Dempster—400+ miles of well maintained gravel, but if it's wet, stay put with a trailer—very, very slippery. You also need very good tires for the Dempster or most other dirt and gravel roads up north—many have shale mixed in and that stuff eats tires. The ferries over the rivers on the Dempster can be a problem if you have a long overhang. You can also drive to Yellowknife, NWT, on a paved, though sometimes bumpy road. Great things to see there too.

If the Milepost doesn't arrive before you leave, surely they're in large bookstores in Calgary and Edmonton. I've seen them in Colorado bookstores, though I have always ordered them by mail. You have to have it. CAA/AAA tour books is weak, map is too small. Get one or two other travel books—lots to learn, to know. The trip is better if you read up on everything you can.

Mosquitos are being born now and waiting for you. The little ones seemed to be the worst ones. Some days are awful, others not bad.

We've been to Yukon twice, NWT once, Alaska twice. Maybe again next year if we can deal with the gas prices.

Let us know how it's going and send pictures.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Another side trip in BC: West from Dawson Creek on 97 to Chetwynd then north on 29 to Moberly Lake. Good campsite there. Then to Hudson Hope. Go look at the W.A.C. Bennett dam, a HUGE earthfill that backs up the Peace River way into the mountains. Then northeast on 29 to Fort St. John to rejoin the Alcan. A great side trip IF you have the time. Darol

Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
Well, we leave tomorrow morning - I just have to finish packing the AS, and double check my lists - thanks to the thread, "If I had only remembered to bring..." I found a few other items I had forgotten!

You guys have been amazing with your tips and well wishes - I promise to post pics when I get back! I'm SO excited!!!!
Wegotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don't worry, no matter how many lists you have, it is inevitable you will forget something. That's why money was invented—to stop at a Walmart because they have a lot of parking area and most anything you need (though watch for poor quality).

Have a good trip. I'm envious. I have fantasies of being on "The Highway" again.

Another tip. The Cassier Highway runs straight south from Yukon—I think just west of Watson Lake—to central BC. In 2002 it was 20% paved, the rest well maintained gravel. Not a lot of traffic (gas up when you can, true anywhere in the north country, and have a couple of full gas cans with you), beautiful alternate route back. A side trip is to Stewart, BC., where they have a toaster museum (unfortunately closed when we were there) and little known Hyder, Alaska, a down and out town with road access and some pretty sites outside of town.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #19

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Cassiar was paved when we were there in 2006 - so that's a good reason to go. Amen to Hyder; not only do you get that little end-o-the-road treat, but then continue on to the bear viewing station. And then, further on, you can drive up to a pass where you can look down on a glacier. Not too many places you can do that.

And that is the area where the original "The Thing" was filmed. And Stewart BC is a treat as well.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote