Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Yosemite without a reservation?

We’d like to head to Yosemite / Kings Canyon in the last half of June this year. We, of course, didn’t plan so far ahead as to get reservations. Is it crazy to think we’d find a spot without one?

Any strategies that have worked for others? I assume we’d want to show up on a Sunday morning? Are there good places to camp outside of the park while we wait for something inside?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are some first come first serve sites in the park outside the valley floor. The best way to grab one of these is midweek early in the morning. There are some private campsites outside the park. My choice in Yosemite Lakes. You will still need a reservation. There are online scalpers who will sell you a reservation inside the park.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Your chances of getting anything in the valley are about nil. Checking recreation.gov regularly for cancelations would be your best bet. Outside the valley, Crane Flat isn't bad. My Wife and I really like White Wolf but there isn't anything that can accommodate our rig.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
35 yrs ago the phone number for reservations was 209-252-4848. I would start calling it 3 weeks before trip, for people canceling their reservations. Success was based on persistence. I was pretty successful because I called 3 times a day. Now days everything being automated and computerized who knows what the odds would be. Bass Lake is just a hour away and beautiful 35 yrs ago. Best time to go to Yosemite, is Easter to 4th July with more water falls than fall or winter. Good luck I'm sure the number has changed by now.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Elks above Oakhurst is a possibility and there is a small place in town - High Sierra.

June may give you the 395 side by way of the 120 pass over to Lee Vining. Check to see if the pass is open before you try it. The back way might be a way to dodge traffic. The Meadows is beautiful too.

Staying North of 120 may keep you out of the traffic some too. Yosemite is popular, and even more so, if the water features are roaring. May not see that this year, but the backup this year was hours and parking was not available. So, have a plan.

Best to have a reservation in June. Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi, there is a small Campground Reservation office in the northeast corner of half dome parking lot. Used to be named Curry Village. There are almost always cancellations in the valley and if you get there first thing in the morning and put your name on the waiting list, you may get a spot for the night. Good luck
As others mentioned above, keep trying online multiple times per day to find a cancellation. One other thing to note, don’t buy from scalpers if this is something that happens frankly I doubt this happens due to when you do check in at the campground they will ask you for an ID and it needs to match your reservation otherwise it’s not your reservation.
I volunteer there in August
Old 02-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
My Wife and I really like White Wolf but there isn't anything that can accommodate our rig.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Anyone know how easy it is to get a first-come first-served spot at White Wolf? Best days to try?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Just for others following this thread, this is a nice summary of the park service campgrounds in the park https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...unds.htm#table

Any thoughts about Tuolumne Meadows - first come first served?

We are looking arriving around June 18th so wether those campgrounds are open is a question.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
You will waste the better part of a vacation day, and a lot of anxiety, trying to get into a spot inside the park without a reservation, and may be unsuccessful. I would recommend instead getting a spot in a commercial park on the outskirts of Yosemite. There are parks near Lee Vining, June Lakes, Groveland, Oakhurst, El Portal, and Mariposa. The trade off is more time spent driving back and forth on the days you plan to visit Yosemite. Get an EARLY morning start every morning to avoid the backups at the gates. Consider doing like I used to do on motorcycle trips: grab a quick cup of coffee in the trailer or on the go when you start out at 4 AM, then take a leisurely breakfast at Curry Village (or whatever they call it these days) or one of the other breakfast spots that are available in the park.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
-- snip -- recommend instead getting a spot in a commercial park on the outskirts of Yosemite. -- snip -- Get an EARLY morning start every morning to avoid the backups at the gates. -- snip --
What McDave said! Additionally, the parking for your vehicle can be challenging as well. Plan and be flexible to make it work. Luck! Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If they'd make reservations non-refundable there'd be less trouble over this matter and it'd be easier to make a res. It would also better-fund the parks.
The reasons "stand-by" works at the airlines is because airlines overbook is because reservations can be cancelled.
(Putting on my nomex-suit...)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Stay in the High Country

I second the appeal of Tuolumne Meadows. The high country is my favorite part of Yosemite and I've visited many times. When visiting the Valley get there early, as others have suggested, and bring or rent bikes (available for rent near Half Dome in the parking lot).

Cycling the Valley floor is easy - it's relatively flat - and will allow you to see things you can't in a car. Plus, you'll be speeding past cars backed up for miles on the road that loops through the Valley.

Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous...

Mike
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We staid at Toulumne Meadows (with reservations) in a Bambi. And it was STILL a tight parking arrangement. That said the higher part of the park is recommended over the valley. The valley is nuts. We will not do stay inside the park again. We learned our lesson...we'll stay outside the park next time and drive in as we chose. You should be prepared for masses of people at that time of the year. It's pretty depressing to watch how people behave in a densely populated situation ... no concern for others, rudeness abounds, and folks being oblivious to those around them. Try not to kill any pedestrians when they walk out in front of you.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We scored 4 nights the week before Memorial Day. I was on the web precisely when the reservation window opened January 15th @ 7 am PST. The fellow at the RV Park where we will stay the night before going into the park could not believe our luck. Persistence, a quick finger, and careful planning paid off. I understand parking inside the park is at a premium Easter to September. A single night might open up for one site, another site the following night. You'll need to move your rig mid day but at least you'll be in the park. Try arriving on Sunday or Monday for the best chance to get a spot. Cancellations are always a possibility. Arrive at the entry early as recommended in an earlier post. Good luck.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Pinson , Alabama
Yosemite

Well, after reading all the post about the lines, waiting, reservation issues, among other things I just decided I don't need the stress. The information provided was great, however, it doesn't sound like a relaxing or pleasurable place to go. I'll just keep on rolling down the road.
RosiesGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
Another recommendation for staying outside Yosemite Valley is the noxious campfire smoke in the evening when everyone is lighting up their campfires with wet or green firewood. It will burn your eyes and throat. Had reservations at lower pines cg and was glad I only reserved two nights.
During the day was no problem, but the nights were awful.
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Dale,
I don't think White Wolf opens until July. Sometimes it doesn't open at all due to snow. I suppose you could call somewhere in the park to see what their plan is. I have attached a link for tips on scoring reservations in Yosemite.

http://www.outdoorblueprint.com/blog...g-reservations
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
Dale,
I don't think White Wolf opens until July. Sometimes it doesn't open at all due to snow. I suppose you could call somewhere in the park to see what their plan is. I have attached a link for tips on scoring reservations in Yosemite.

http://www.outdoorblueprint.com/blog...g-reservations
Thanks for the link. The park service says they are planning for White Wolf to open June 15th but that’s very weather dependent. Last year with all the snow they were later I understand.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosiesGuy1 View Post
-- snip -- it doesn't sound like a relaxing or pleasurable place to go. I'll just keep on rolling down the road.
And there you have it. NPs are a challenge. Not all, but most are.

Yosemite is one NP you should make the effort to see. Not all are. Yosemite is people worn, but it's still majestic. The Meadows and 120 over the pass is fantastic. The key may well be to pick a less busy time of the year. That may require you save it for retirement.

Good luck on your trip. Pat
Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
As PKI said, Yosemite is well worth seeing. The best time to see it is in the spring when the water is high a few weeks before school lets out. If you must see it during a more congested time of the year, there are two ways to make your visit more enjoyable.

The first is to score a parking spot somewhere near a shuttle stop, and leave your car there all day. Go from stop to stop on the shuttle and see the sights.

The second is to take a hike. The classic hike from The Valley is Vernal Falls, the Mist Trail, and Nevada Falls, which are all more or less the same hike, depending on how much energy you have. Second would be the hike to the top of Yosemite Falls, which is a bit more strenuous. Third would be the four mile trail down to The Valley from Glacier Point. Since this is all down hill, it is not as strenuous as some of the others, but you will have to pay for a bus ride to get back to your car at Glacier Point, or just ride the bus up there in the first place, and hike back to your car in The Valley. Fifth would be a hike up to the top of Half Dome, very strenuous. There are also many short hikes in The Valley itself, which are accessible from the shuttle. In Toulumne, the classic hike is to Cathedral Lake, which is on the way to Cathedral Peak. If you really have a lot of energy, you can hike almost all the way to the top of Cathedral Peak, close enough to get the view which led John Muir to state that he never felt closer to God than while standing on the top of Cathedral Peak. With some basic 5th class climbing skills, you can make the last 20’ to the top, or maybe some kind soul with a rope will help you.

There are hundreds of trails through Yosemite Park, and it really doesn't matter how congested The Valley floor is, you can enjoy them all any time of the year they are passable, if you have the time and the energy.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote