Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #29
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Anywhere in Minnesota. The mosquito is protected there. It's the official state bird.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #30

Wanted to try out our "new" trailer and setup a quick weekend trip. We have a 06 Classic. Pulled in late on a reserved lakeside campsite Labor Day. In and out camper and had light on with front door open until we set up. Must have been 300 of those guys on the ceiling of the living room. It is hot, late and now what do we for? Husband removed screen from our fantastic fan ..turned it on and we had a roundup....15 min later they were all sucked out. Live and learn stuff the hard way.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Anywhere near the upper Texas coast when there is a salt water hatch-out. That's the term used here - "hatch-out", because we get periodic favorable tide conditions and the salt water mosquitoes proceed to stream inland on the sea breezes. If you get caught in the wrong spot, you can literally watch the legs of your khaki pants turn black with accumulations of them. One time I killed so many inside my vehicle that I had to pull over and clean the inner surface of the windshield in order to see well enough to drive home.

Protag is right about chiggers - under certain conditions in Texas, they can become so intense that they are almost disabling, and unlike mosquitoes and black flies, you don't get any real-time warning that a bodily infestation is in progress.

My worst no-see-um encounter to date was in East Texas in the month of June when I was boondocking near Steinhagen Dam B. On that day, I became convinced that I was going to retrofit my Airstream with no-see-um netting where it currently has standard mosquito screens.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
On that day, I became convinced that I was going to retrofit my Airstream with no-see-um netting where it currently has standard mosquito screens.
Spray your screens with permethrin, which is an insect repellent for use on clothing. It helps.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We had our dealer install no see um screens in the two side bedroom windows. They cut down on airflow and light a bit, but they give us the option of sleeping with the windows open even in bad no see um conditions in the Keys, Everglades and elsewhere. Joe
Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
No see ums don't like skin so soft.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #35
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Mustang Island on the Texas coast years back. Drove fours hours to get there to camp on the beach. Arrived at dusk. Calm wind so the Devils were drifting in huge clouds. As we drove along the beach folks were scrambling to get away from them. By the time we stopped thinking we were clear of them and got out we got nailed. Even the poor dog was getting attacked. Jumped back in the truck and drove four hours back home. Probably smashed a hundred of them inside the truck. Now I pay attention to the wind portion of the coastal weather report.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Mustang Island on the Texas coast ....Jumped back in the truck and drove four hours back home. .....
For anyone who doubts what a Texas salt-water hatch-out can make a person do, there's the corroboration right there. It really is that bad.

Unfortunately, avoiding hatch-out conditions is not just a matter of finding a wind report, because they are primarily dependent on tides. Other than living in Galveston County and knowing from local news reports and painful daily experience when one is in progress, I don't have a good way of finding out that information. There will always be some mosquitoes on the coast, but the really bad times only happen for a week or two maybe twice a year. It sure would be helpful if there was an efficient means by which people could check that status for various coastal destinations.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #37
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Upsala Ontario dedicated a monument to the KING OF MOSQUITO'S!

DAve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upsala mosquito.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	251540  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Oops - not mosquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
The Amethyst mines outside of Thunder Bay ON in spring of 07. We were picking the tailing piles and Becky had blood streaming down her forehead but was unaware of it until another guy looked at her and said "man, they really got you!" She wiped her forehead, and freaked.
Becky just reminded me that those were back flies, not mosquitoes. Never mind! I am prone to reworking memories to suit the occasion.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
my worst was 67 bites during archaeological excavation in the Negev -- where they came from we don't know but they slaughtered us all season. The "winner" that summer was one girl who had some 124 welts counted.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
The "winner" that summer was one girl who had some 124 welts counted.
How were they counted? By playing "connect-the-dots"? And who did the counting?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
How were they counted? By playing "connect-the-dots"? And who did the counting?
Circles with ink counted new ones and tagged older ones to not be counted the next day. In true anthropological form, we kept analytic tallies day to day...

girls for girls and guys for guys... we may have been college students; but supervisors were there to keep it from getting too out of hand

Ian
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I remember though once tent camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe region of Minnesota during mosquito season and I was tenting in a nearly full mesh walled tent. I woke up at 1am to a nearly deafening sound; could not see the stars because a layer of mosquitoes had caked themselves against the netting on the outside. Playing around a bit, I put a finger against the screen for a second and hundreds just tried to ball up to that one spot ... amazing to see.