Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Moosonee on James Bay. I have a souvenir leg hold trap for mosquitoes. It's a gag to let on how big they are. There's a movement to have them declared the provincial bird. Truth is that black flies are far and away worse than mosquitoes. Mozzies leave a lump that itches. Black flies leave a festering hole.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Denver , North Carolina
Gosh! I know it's Halloween but perhaps "mini-me vampires" would be more appropriate for those tales!
Thank goodness for the NC mountains, never been eaten yet and I'm a mosquito magnet!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Flamingo campground, Everglades NP, in any month that does not have an "R" in it. Joe
I can second this. I used to live in Homestead on the edge of the Everglades. We were told they kept chickens in cages in the Everglades. When the chickens died from loss of blood, they knew it was time to launch the airplanes for spraying.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Smile

Alaska 2013. Newspapers called it largest hatch in a decade.
By the way, opening the hatches and turning on one of your Fantastic Fans really works. The airflow sucks the bloodsuckers to the screen where you can smash them.........
Old 10-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Y'all ain't got a clue.
Nowhere has mosquitoes like the Mississippi Delta (flat, fertile farmland from Memphis, TN to Vicksburg, MS).
These mosquitoes are the size of Cessna planes and there are millions of them.
Screen door? What for? The mosquitoes are big enough to open the door and walk right in.
Citronella? Off? Deet? There ain't enough of it in the wide world!
I imagine only Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, and southeast Texas could only understand.
I watch them complaining about mosquitoes on "Building Alaska" on the DIY channel and I just have to laugh.
Every evening, even last night, October 27, 2015, the city sends a truck around the subdivision spraying for mosquitoes. What good can that possibly do? Spraying insecticide into all the air and atmosphere? Surely it has to be more concentrated than that to do any good. The truck is just driving around making noise and spraying a mist into the air as a sign to the public that the local government is trying to do something, although futile-
I guess that explains why there are no campgrounds/recreational facilities in this geographic region.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Flamingo campground, Everglades NP, in any month that does not have an "R" in it. Joe
I imagine mosquitoes are bad right now.
October has an R-
I would think the Everglades would have mosquitoes year round.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The Amethyst mines outside of Thunder Bay ON in spring of 07. We were picking the tailing piles and Becky had blood streaming down her forehead but was unaware of it until another guy looked at her and said "man, they really got you!" She wiped her forehead, and freaked.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Benton Harbor Michigan. We were s till in our pop up days and we got to a KOA for an overnight at dusk. We ended up at a spot next to a marshy area or creek. As I got out of the car to start the set up of the pop up, the swarms came at us. Patty was beating them off me and her as I concentrated on getting the pop up together. I never moved so fast in all my life. Once the pop up was sealed off, we spent the next hour inside, killing those that came inside prior to the door getting placed.

I remember pre camping days in Minnesota where we used to see the swarms coming across the lake at dusk. Once we would see them we'd head for the cabins. Interesting that within 2 hours with the temperatures dropping, the feeding frenzy would end and it would be safe to go outside again.

Never forgot that trip to Benton Harbor KOA and it still is an overnight stay for us on our way up to northern Michigan. I make a point to get their before dusk and I usually have a full hookup site which is away from the mosquito breeding marsh. I can just think what our camping neighbors were thinking of this crazy lady beating her husband as he was trying to set up a pop up camper.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #23
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Oregon's Crater Lake, bad 'skeeters, for sure. But about 10 miles to the north, nearby Diamond Lake is as famous for the misery of mosquitos as it is famous for its fishing derby (makes sense). Those 'skeeters are big enough to distinguish one from another by their facial features. They drove us away from a nice campground at Diamond Lake.

None of these mosquitos carry Malaria or Dengue -- not yet -- but owing to climate change, the mosquito that carries Dengue is advancing into Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 12.41.04 PM.png
Views:	55
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	251221  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,the three sister Graces of our moral being.
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I invite everyone on this thread to visit Mississippi-
Real mosquitos-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Albemarle , North Carolina
King Salmon Alaska 1971 where the mosquitos and black flies were referred to as the state birds. They start their run at 30 thousand feet and do touch and goes on your arms, legs, neck, etc. removing large chunks flesh on the first run. Jungle gear/netting is the preferred clothing of choice.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
In out pop-up in the seventies near the Grand Canyon, we were directed to a wilderness campground a few miles southeast. The two of us, our two kids and wife's young aunt. Mostly stayed in the camper surrounded by bison. The thing that stands out is the very young newlywed couple we met. They were hikers and planned to "tough it out", wife gave the girl our used cans of "Off" as we left. She cried.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I've been all the way from southern Alaska to Fairbanks and up the pipeline haul road to Prudhoe Bay. Black flies and mosquitoes were bad!
I've suffered through the mosquitoes at Flamingo campground in the Everglades, and was amazed at the number of tent campers that literally disappeared during the night (packed up and left).
I've suffered through the no-see-um gnats from the salt water marshes all along the southern east coast. I think they are worse than mosquitoes or blackflies, because they can come right through the window screens and chew on you!!!!

But the actual worse case of "mosquitoes" I have ever seen was this week at an overnight stop in SC. We stayed one night at Santee Lake Campground. It is located in a swampy area between Santee Lake and a pond. Clouds of mosquitoes chased my trailer and truck as we drove to our spot. There were so many that I told my wife to stay in the truck until I could get the trailer door unlocked. After we got inside we killed several. Thousands were outside on our window trying to get inside. The bald spot on the top of my head is still sore, three days later! I assume the abnormal quantity of mosquitoes is caused by the heavy rains from the hurricane that SC endured recently.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Georgetown, SC by far! They sprayed the mosquitoes with airplanes! The whole area was a swamp!!!!!