Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Your card has been restricted

We returned today from a week-long, 1300 mile round-trip to Disney World in Florida. Great fun was had by all in what is our fourth trip to where "Dreams come true" in my '67 Overlander towed by the mighty '84 Suburban with it's carbureted 454.

Checking email after we got home, there was a note from our credit card's fraud division, "Your credit card has been restricted. Call [BR-549]...

Apparently, that last $100 fuel stop was too much for them to handle on top of everything else we had charged at the Magic Kingdom.

Although we had backup credit cards with us, I'm glad we had no credit problems on the road. Everything's okay now - Kim called the number & explained that the Burb's 40 gallon tank gets pretty thirsty on the open road...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We had the identical problem with our card--the very first time we filled the truck and van's tanks. They couldn't seem to grasp the concept of traveling, and the vehicle(s) you are driving requiring the occasional fuel stop...
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Same thing happened to us the first time we took the trailer to CA. On the third day of our trip we went to breakfast and our card was rejected. We used the backup card and when we got home we called the CC company and sure enough they had locked it down because of suspicious activity. It's not suspicious, it's called a vacation! Is that really that unusual?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Same thing happened to us the first time we took the trailer to CA. On the third day of our trip we went to breakfast and our card was rejected. We used the backup card and when we got home we called the CC company and sure enough they had locked it down because of suspicious activity. It's not suspicious, it's called a vacation! Is that really that unusual?
It is to the people in third-world countries that never get one. They also seem to be the ones you talk to when you try to get your card use back again.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
When I first started driving a big truck, I used my oil company credit card to charge diesel fuel on and they immediately stopped honoring it when I charged over $1000 for diesel in a month's time, even though I was never late with a single payment for the 10 years previous that I held that card. I cancelled it immediately and got a competitor's card and used it for years afterward, and I bought my diesel from them too. I guess some people just don't really understand the concept of a business.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Here's what to do

I had a similar thing happen to me when I started driving over the road. I had to call the 800 number on my card to get it reactivated. The operator told me in the future I should call before leaving to let them know it's me using the card all over. Now that I full time, there's one card I use just for traveling around the USA. This card has a low available limit incase it gets lost or stolen. I keep the 800 numbers to my other 2 cards handy should I need to make a large purchase or (gasp) need repairs.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I always call my credit card company and tell them when and were I would be traveling and using their card. They'll make a note on your account. If you have to make a large purchase while away call them before you make it (if you can). They have some good advice to protect your card, just give them a call.
They told me to write 'Check for I.D.' next to my signature on the back.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I guess some people just don't really understand the concept of a business.
We have had our card locked down for buying toys from our overseas suppliers also. Although we do this regularly, and we have asked them to put a note on our account that that is a normal activity, they did it everytime for a long time. I don't know if Dave finally switched to another card or if he just got used to dealing with it and calling the CC company every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
We recently opened a retail outlet for our store and I see quite a bit of this. Some people thank me when I ask for ID, some just sigh and get in a huff, and I'm like - well you're the one who wrote it on the back of your card

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
This reminds me of the time when one of our tugs, enroute from Puerto Rico back to the States, ran low on fuel due to a heavier than planned tow. The skipper pulled in to a dock in the Bahamas and used his company credit card to purchase 15,000 gallons of fuel. All it took was a call from the credit card company to our office! That was in the '70's when credit card companys still had operators in the U. S.!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
We use a Discover for our primary purchase card, and Discover has an itchy finger when it comes to "suspicious activity".

We had our card number stolen at food place by the server. 3 hours after we ate, we got a call about several attempted cash withdrawls against the account at Wal-Mart, Target, or someplace like that. Obviously, a well-organized outfit.

We don't mind the inconvenience since we have alternatives to Discover. If it *really* bothered us, we'd simply carry cash... and firearms.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I always try to remember to call them when we are to be traveling. It only makes sense - we want them to help detect fraud, and out-of-area purchases should be a red flag.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
We use a Discover for our primary purchase card, and Discover has an itchy finger when it comes to "suspicious activity".

We had our card number stolen at food place by the server. 3 hours after we ate, we got a call about several attempted cash withdrawls against the account at Wal-Mart, Target, or someplace like that. Obviously, a well-organized outfit.

We don't mind the inconvenience since we have alternatives to Discover. If it *really* bothered us, we'd simply carry cash... and firearms.
Tim

Funny how far cash,gold and a firearms will get you in this world.
When they take away our guns,there will be peace on earth.....
THEIR big piece and the TINY piece they leave us.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've led group trips to Hawaii and, believe me, it is necessary to phone in advance when traveling 7000 miles away and expecting to rent 4-5 minivans. Okay, bad example...

Another thing I've heard is that hotels will lock up a damage deposit on your card and not necessarily release that from your credit limit after you've checked out. Did you stay at any megalomaniacal mouse campgrounds who might subscribe to big bidness? (sorry Minnie's Mate if I'm stepping on any toes ... but those feet have to have five toes to really, really be sensitive to these issues)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
I always call my credit card company and tell them when and were I would be traveling and using their card. They'll make a note on your account. If you have to make a large purchase while away call them before you make it (if you can). They have some good advice to protect your card, just give them a call.
When I was in business, we ALWAYS looked at the back of the card and checked for ID unless it was a regular customer whose card and face we were familiar with....most customers appreciated it, especially if they had "check ID" on the back of it. But unfortunately, even tho my own card says that, I have found that there are few places that even look at it. And after having had my card flagged more than once when I was traveling, we now notify the card companies that we will be on a trip before we leave. Saves a lot of hassle. But you know,I would rather have them flag it and go thru the hassle of get it reactivated than to just let large out of town charges go thru. At least I know then that the company is alert and watching for fraud.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
while my mug isn't that wonderful, i like the cards that put your photo on it like citibank and my costco amex :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had the "suspicious activity" problem several times with our MC and VISA. We solved this problem by giving them our cell numbers as our primary phone numbers. Now we get these calls on the road, and the problem is solved.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post

Tim
Me too....

I call them And tell them where I am going... Got tired of it getting cut off... We travel to washington state as we have family there.. That they have as a permanent trip....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Twice we've had "suspicious activity" which resulted in shutting down our card. Both times it was en route to Alaska and the suspicious activity was elsewhere in the world. The last one was for a 97 CENT charge in Australia! It was most inconvenient to cancel all our automatic charges (utilities back home mostly) and restore them with the new account number. We're assuming that tiny charge was a test of the validity of the number and that larger charges would follow. Anyway, it is important to have a second credit card available should something happen to the first. Also keep in mind that replacing a card is problematic if you are moving around a lot.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I have to travel internationally from time to time... and by week two I can be on my third credit card (I now carry four). I have noticed that AmEx is much better about applying a little be of reason to my charge pattern.

When if fly out of PDX, I usually just buy coffee and snack at the airport with the card and usually buy water at most the hubs I hit along the way. That has seemed to help and I have not been shut off in quite a while.

I also use the cell phone as my primary phone contact for all credit cards... but that has it drawbacks as well. When you are sleeping in Shanghai, jet lagged out your mind after having a beverage or two... the call at 3AM local time by a "perky" customer service reps can be a bit annoying for you and confusing for them.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We haven't had cards shut down in a long time. It did happen about 15 years ago when they were increasing the credit limit (it was cheaper to charge a car purchase than a car loan because this credit card was actually a 2nd mortgage line of credit) and they screwed up and cancelled the card. We tried to use it the day I was told the credit limit was increased. The restaurant told us the card bounced. We had only a few dollars with us and no other cards. They finally took a check and were not nice about it. We didn't go back to that restaurant until about a year ago. The bank we had the card through was very apologetic and we got a second card right away. Now we have two cards for general use and that's always been enough.

We have gotten calls. When I bought this laptop, they called to check it if was a real charge. Another time we got a call and our machine recorded it. We couldn't understand half of what the guy was saying including the phone number to call. We called the number on the back of the card and they said they had no record of a call. So, it seems best to check on whether someone is actually calling from the credit card company by thanking the caller and then calling the company yourself.

We did have the number stolen once when in Canada. We were at a place where the phone system wasn't working and they did it the old fashioned way. We found some strange charges when we got our bill—a search on US Search (that seemed very traceable) and a gift basket from an outfit in Toronto. It must have been an amateur. There were only 2 charges and if the card company cared, they could have easily found them. So we started using the second card and did for several weeks and they never asked why all the new activity. Getting a replacement took time. The first time I called, nothing happened except the card was cancelled. They asked if I wanted it send fast and I said "sure". The next bill had a $20 charge they never told me about for expressing it. I got that removed. Maybe I was naive, but I thought they didn't want me to get used to using the other card and would send it to me fast. We try not to have payments made automatically because it's pain when we have to change numbers or the expiration date is wrong.

I almost never remember to tell them we'll be taking a trip. Barb did once. I think it was the last time we went to Canada and Alaska. Remember to check with credit card companies about extra charges for converting money when leaving the US. It used to be the cheapest way to do it—just charge everything in other countries. But some have added hidden charges and you have to ask about it. Depending on the card, it could be cheaper to change money in banks once you get to where you are going if you feel ok carrying a lot of cash. I always figure since I look like a slob no one would think I had a lot of money with me. Now that I have an Airstream, though, they will assume I am a millionaire.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote