Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Yosemite, Yellowstone and Glacier reccomendations.

Hi all, we are planning our summer and this is our first one with our Airstream. We live in Wa state and have been to all of these parks but have only tent camped.
We know we are in for a different experience. Any recomendations for campsites. We can boondock but prefer to have hookups. I know the valley in Yosemite is crazy in the summer so I would be satisfied with close. Yellowstone is so big I need some advise on what to see and good places to stay. Glacier we have been to many times, but again as tent campers. We are going to have about 5 weeks to make the trip so time will be easy. I can't wait. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. It's the first time it will only be the wifey and me with no kids. BWAHAHAHAHA.
Dan
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Hi Dan,

We went to yellowstone last year. We went in october but if you're going in the summer, you may want to consider staying in the park since thats a crowded time there. Crowded roads, so being in there decreases your time spent driving each day. We stayed in the park at Madison campground. We loved it! Sites were spacious and natural, very scenic. The park is so big but found this to be somewhat central and allowed us to easily explore Grand Tetons also. No full hook- ups there but that was okay with us. We did take a look at Fishing Bridge campground while we were there - it's the only campground in the park with full hook- ups. Even though I had read up about it, I was shocked. You're as close to your neighbor as you are in a Walmart parking lot with your car. Not the yellowstone experience we were looking for.

As for other recommendations, we took a hike ( a walk really, it's totally flat) on Lone Star trail. It's a 5 mile path ( roundtrip) to lone star geyser which erupts every 3 hours. Impressive geyser. Much less touristy than Old Faithful.
Bring a lunch and relax.

Enjoy your trip! It's a beautiful area.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Dan,

Yellowstone camping...make your reservations as early as possible, like maybe NOW for 2013, if possible.
...or make no plans and enjoy the trip anyway.

Bob
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
While visiting Glacier, I would consider visiting the north end of the park hosted by our Canadian neighbors at Waterton Park. You reach it by traveling NW on the highway from St Mary less than a 90 mile drive from East Glacier Park Village.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/waterton/activ/activ3.aspx

http://www.google.com/search?q=water...iw=768&bih=900

There is a hiking trail that leads out of the townsite to some spectacular scenery.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Dahlonega , Georgia
Hi, Dan
Sounds like a great trip. We stayed in Yellowstone for almost 1 1/2 weeks in 2009 but without the AS (hadn't purchased yet!) I agree with KarenJude, stay in the park, especially after 1st of July. We'll be at Fishing Bridge for a week starting June 13. That way we miss the crowds which generally begin 1st of July but the weather is a little riskier I'm told. We were very lucky in '09 and had perfect weather from the day we landed in Jackson Hole until we drove up to Glacier. It can take 2-3 hours just to get from one side of the park to another because of crowds and "sightseers" or that long just to get into the park to your destination. Wastes a lot of daylight. Hope this helps. We visited Waterton in Canada and loved it too.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
For full hookups near Yosemite try the Midpines KOA a few miles out of Mariposa on state hwy 140. Its about a 35-40 minute drive to the park entrance and the campground is nice with reasonable prices.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote