Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Yosemite...without AS. Suggestions?

Hi all.

Though this may not be the right place, but i thought I'd ask here first.

Wife and I are planning a trip in early May to Yosemite. Unfortuneatley due to time we won't be able to do the drive from Chicago to the valley woth our Bambi in tow. We will be flying to San Fran renting car, then staying.....somewhere.

Problem we have found is 1) avaiabilty of hotel/motel and 2) the astronomical prices of place in Yosemite.

So we have decided to maybe stay just outside the park. Has anyone had any good experience or recommend any place? We are looking into B&B, motels, open to just about anything.

We even investigated renting an RV but when we figured it all out it is less expensive to rent a car and hotel/motel.

Any ideas, or relatives with a spar room near Yosemite Travel without the AS sure is expensive!

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I have friends who regularly stay at Cedar Lodge outside El Portal. By the way, "El Portal" is pronounced "ELL porTELL". Also, Tuolumne is pronounced like "to ALL uh mee" and Mokelumne is "mah KAH lah mee".

May is a beautiful time to be in the park. The waterfalls should be in fine form. If you can, walk the steepish but paved trail up to Vernal Fall, at least as far as the bridge. The Mist Trail, beyond that, is an experience you won't soon forget. Wear shoes with very good traction.

Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2003 19' Bambi
Forestville , California

Look at Oakhurst, I know the best Western is pretty good and there's a nice KOA. Also the Wawona Hotel just inside the park on Hywy 41 is great.
Mvaug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
If you are a Thousand Trails member there is a park close by. They should have Yurt Rentals. If not try Groveland, CA should be rustic!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Last year we camped at a KOA near Yosemite and they had camping cabins. Nice location near the park, well kept, pretty setting in the woods.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania

Hi Jonathan,
We have been to Yosemite twice, first time we rented a house near Mariposa Grove and most recently stayed at the Blackberry B & B near Groveland and the north entrance to Yosemite.
We really enjoyed an excellent stay at Blackberry B & B during our June 2013 - 5 day visit.
While you can choose to stay in the main house in one of five rooms, we chose the newly Ahwahnee Suites Building. Built in April 2013, guests can choose from five new rooms in the Ahwahnee Suites building located across the parking lot from the original Blackberry Inn structure. These beautiful rooms offer vaulted ceilings, forest views, private entrances, and six foot soaking tubs with showers. ALL guests with reservations in the Ahwahnee Suites building are served breakfast Al Fresco on their private deck area, or in their room depending on the weather. The friendly owners and staff provided an excellent stay during our visit.
Kind regards,
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks everyone.

We're thinking that staying just outside the park may be what we need to do. I am looking into a place called Indian Flat RV park. I think they have a couple of cabins, but not sure if they come with bedding, etc. I will call today.

I was in Yosemite in 1976 to attend one of the last Ansel Adams workshops. Great being around the 'ol man and a regular who's who of photo legends. I was the youngest person there attending. AA actually saved me and m equipment because a was not paying attention to my much in awe with the scenery!

If you have any other ideas let us know.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is online now   Reply With Quote