Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
2003 26' Land Yacht-"Bud"

coarsegold , California
Yosemite to San Antonio in January

Well, it's been 3 weeks since we picked up the 2003 26 ft. Land Yacht (I still think that's a very funny name). One successful shake-down trip from our home near Yosemite to Pismo Beach and back over a four day period.

Bugs are working out...I'm figuring out the stuff I need to know. I started with: Keep it between the lines; Try to find a spot to park where you don't have to back up...too much....Flush the black before the gray...that kind of stuff.

I learned how to fix a frozen leveling jack valve..it was rusted and took an elusive part. But, I'm finding out that my experience turning a wrench is going to be helpful....It's a house AND a car....So I bring the hammer, too.

After a few short 300 mile runs between now and then, we are going to take a nice trip to San Antonio in January....Especially if I can get tips from you veterans on "where to stay, what to do...where NOT to stay, what NOT to do"....I'd really appreciate the help.

Irene is retiring as of the first of November and I really, really want her to have a good time.....

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boomer.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	85257  
magwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Assuming you are speaking of San Antonio, Texas (I believe there is some state park or other of that name in your state), then two campgrounds pop to mind:

"Braunig Lake" (barely out of town) and "Travelers World" (as it is on bus line 2-miles from downtown).

There appear to be some fancy-schmancy places but those are never as appealing to me. Were I to stay extended then TW would be my choice.

Were one to stay out north or west then traffic is a bear . . cookie-cutter subdivisions, chain restaurants and (did I mention) traffic.

There was an Airstream Vintage rally at Braunig Lake last year. Search around and see if one is being held not too far away this winter.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

coarsegold , California
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Assuming you are speaking of San Antonio, Texas (I believe there is some state park or other of that name in your state), then two campgrounds pop to mind........
Right. Sorry. I WAS talking about Texas.

I'll check out the campgrounds. But your description is good enough for me. TW it is. Thanks much for the tips.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
San Antonio area

If you are coming in from the west on I-10, a worthwhile stop is in the Kerrville/Medina area of the Texas hill Country. Kerrville's Guadalupe River Park is nice, and between Kerrville and Medina the Coyote Ranch private RV resort is in a beautiful spot, but more remote.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

coarsegold , California
Thanks again...We can use all the info you folks are willing to share. It will be our first "real" trip...And one of many to come...As long as....well, you know.....

I absolutely LOVE the Airstream. I told my wife, Irene, "I have wanted a tree-fort since I built one when I was ten years old. Now I have it. And it moves!"
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It might be a bit out of the way (1.5 hrs), but you have to go to Fredricksburg, TX. It's one of the neatest little towns around. It was settled by German immigrants, and there is still a heavy German presence there. There are a ton of shops on the main drag, AND (this is the deal maker) a bunch of places to go wine tasting...Texas has some great wineries. The KOA is a really nice place, and the owners are great folks. They will recommend the best restaurants to eat at.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #7

coarsegold , California
No Hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
It might be a bit out of the way (1.5 hrs), but you have to go to Fredricksburg, TX. It's one of the neatest little towns around.
The beauty of all this is that we won't be in any "hurry". And nothing is out of the way. I've been hurrying all my life. So has Irene. We are paying ourselves back by NOT hurrying up any more.

Fredricksburg, here we come...

Thanks sooo much Stingray.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hey, no problem, that's what the forum is about, right? If you do get to Fredricksburg and do the wine tasting, ask about Martin Santamaria. He's a local winemaker, emigrated from Spain, and his wine is some of the best I've tasted...my cousin is a winemaker in France, and I used to help him every summer, so I know a little about a little, with regards to this subject. Martin doesn't have a liquor license, so he sells his wine to the local wine stores and they sell it for him. When were there in June, he was at one of the shops signing bottles for customers. We went home with three bottles.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote