Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Yosemite. .suggestions?

We are rolling west this summer and typically do not get real fussey with reservations unless we are going to a packed location. We were thinking of checking out yosemite while in Kalifornia, any camping suggestions? We are avid boondockers and always like a good national forest or BLM land to check out...

Thanks for any suggestions..

SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Yosemite with a 30 footer and no reservations? Let us know how you make out...

This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel
1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
ok, im a pro at Yosemite...although you need to be on it. What direction are you coming from first? from the east coming over Tioga pass or from the west? Tuolmomne meadows in trhe high country is half first come first serve. get to the kioske upfront arounf 6:30am ish, make some coffee, set up a chair in line and wait till 8. In the meantime if there's two of you have one of you cruise the campgroung, close to the river side to see if anyone is leaving to cheak out. Down in the valley you can go to the dirt parking area at currey village to the reservation kioske and sign up for a no call no show. In the late morning they cruise all the campgrounds in the valley and give the no show spots out at 3pm (when you need to be back in at the kioske. getting there early you can get a parking spot for the day in the dirt lot. you may have to move your trailer every day but a good chance at getting a spot if you sign up early. That kioske opens at 8 as well. There are also some spots on the Tioga pass side outside of the park I can give you more info on, just message me. if you check the website often sometimes you can get a cancellation. Last summer I think i got the best campspot in the valley on the website due to a cancellation.
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you are traveling alone (not with another rig) your chances of finding a space is better. We are going with friends in July and decided to make reservations so we could both be accommodated...had to reserve on 15 Mar at 6 AM. At 6:02 AM it was sold out ... so the sites go very fast. The flip side of that, as gypsybanker stated...there are always some cancellations. If you want to try for a reservation to be safe, check the reservation site frequently in case someone cancels and their sites become available again. Good luck!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Yosemite is a marvelous place to visit. If you have time I would consider doing it in the late summer very early fall. You might just miss the crowds.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
30 years ago, before I took reservations seriously in National Parks, we traveled from TX to Yosemite in early June only to find a No Vacancy sign when we arrived! We spent the 1st night on the side of the road outside of the park then got in the line 1st thing in the morning. We were advised that if a spot came up, we could get it for 1 night only then repeat the drill every morning. All this wasn't very encouraging, then a ranger came out of the shack and told all of us in line that it was early in the season, that they hadn't yet opened up some of the campgrounds up from the valley and if we were self contained we could stay in one of them until they opened up the following week. Free camping in Yosemite for a week! We had a very enjoyable time visiting the park and taking in the sights and felt the campgrounds away from the crowded valley to better for us. It sounds like little has changed in 30 years.

This link may be helpful:
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Oregon City , Oregon
If you don`t mind staying outside of the park boundaries, there`s a campground 5 miles off of highway 12 and another couple of miles from the entrance to the park. It`s on Evergreen Road. The park`s name is Domind O. We stayed there last month and it was great, no hook ups though. Matter of fact they had trouble with water there and we were told to bring a good supply of water. That was a great park, very quiet and close to Yosemite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacation 036.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	188433  
mike warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Here's another link:

Zoom in on the map in the vicinity of Yosemite and it will display a number of National Forest campground. Select one and it will display details for it. They also have an App if you have a tablet or smart phone.
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Its bad enough trying to get a campsite at Many Glacier campground in Glacier National Park but after reading about Yosemite I don't think I would bother. I've read alot of campsites are reserved so they can be sold at inflated prices. Can't see how the park service can allow this. What a shame, my parents took me to Yosemite as a kid in the 60s and it was nice with no reservations, first come first serve. Over population, you gotta love it.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote