Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Yosemite site size

I am planning trip to Yosemite I have a 26ft trailer and a 22ft truck. I was checking site map and found the largest sites are 35ft deep but the max trailer size is 24ft in these sites and was wanting to know if anyone has any advise on picking a site and if getting into site is possible. Thank you.

bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' Flying Cloud
2013 19' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Yosemite site size has photos of the campsites in the main Yosemite Valley campgrounds. Reservations are a must. They need to be made 6 months in advance. I think handles reservations.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
I used that website to find a great site for our trip this past March. Our 32 foot motorhome fit in a 28 foot spot just fine. We were able to back in all the way with just enough room to squeeze our Jeep in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
We just left Yosemite. We stayed in a 31' airstream. Spots were available in the valley for one night only, meaning we'd have to move every day to a different sight, we stayed up in the Fulani meadows.....dusty and poor roads in camp. It's easy to see all the MoneY is spent in the valley. We stayed two nights . We felt like we were at a hippie gathering... Saddlebag mountain was much better....but rough roadie for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Hippie gathering! You've never been to a TCT rally, obviously. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Ooh "Hippy Gathering" convinced me that's where I am staying when I go there . Thanks for the positive review!

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
When looking at the sites, note whether or not there are trees or big rocks at the back of the camping pad. Our 25' Tradewind can hang over the back edge of the pad almost 5' and still have the wheels legally on the pavement.

Some of the length restrictions are due to tight curves to get to the campsite. Long bus-like RV's can't make the tighter corners without scraping a tree or two. So the foot limit may refer to the maximum length of each part of your rig.

As an example, we stayed in Upper Pines site 46 with our 25' Tradewind and 20' F250 short bed crew cab pickup. We just barely got our front bumper out of the roadway. The tree at the back of the campsite prevented us from hanging over the back as far as we might have. The tree on the door side prevented us from opening our awning, but the site is in nearly full shade anyway. The tree on the non-door side of the trailer meant that a spotter was essential in backing into and pulling out of the site. But we did fit and we had a lovely visit.

Reservations are essential, as someone mentioned. The reservation window opens once a month for all reservations up to 6 months (I think) away. All reservations are usually filled within an hour of the opening time. Check the website for details of when reservations open and know in advance which sites you will and will not fit in. I usually try to access the reservation website while trying to reach the phone reservations at the same time. The website sometimes crashes when you are part way through the process.

One can also check the reservation site often and catch cancellations. That's how I got site 46 on one month's notice for an October visit.

Sites are unreserved in the off season and there are often available spaces. But, once again, who knows if they're the spaces you'll fit into.

Best of luck. It's a lovely place. If you get there, be sure to hike up out of the valley, even a little way. Most people stay in the flat part and you can get more of a wilderness feel by going up.

Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote