Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
Yosemite HODGDON MEADOW 2016

I was lucky and got a site for 5 night over the July 4th weekend. We are looking for suggestions of must things to do in the area. Also looking for things to avoid. We will be in the area for ten days.

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Yosemite HODGDON MEADOW 2016

The high country around Tuolumne Meadows will be more pleasant at this time of the year than the valley floor. If you like watching people rock climb, bring a good pair of binoculars and you'll see a lot of climbers on the various domes. Hike to Waterwheel Falls. Climb Cathedral Peak, if you're up for something a little more strenuous. John Muir made one of his famous comments about that, saying that he never felt closer to God than when he was standing on top of Cathedral Peak. Drive to Saddlebag Lake and rent a boat. Good places to eat, other than your own trailer, include White Wolf, Tuolumne Lodge, and Tioga Pass Resort.

BTW, bring mosquito repellent. I think you're still going to be in mosquito season on July 4.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
If you're going to be there 10 days, I 'm sure you're not going to spend all 10 days in Tuolumne. It's going to be warm on the valley floor and congested with people over the 4th of July. So park your car somewhere and ride the free shuttle. See all the mandatory sights, such as Yosemite Falls, Bridle Vail Falls, Half Dome and Glacier Point. The one mandatory hike is up the mist trail (which will be misty and cool, which you'll appreciate) to Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. A more strenuous hike, hot in the summer, is to the top of Yosemite Falls. A more strenuous hike yet is up to the top of Half Dome. I understand that reservations might be required now for the hike up Half Dome, which is an all day affair starting at or before daybreak and ending about dusk. But never to be forgotten, if you are in good enough shape to do it. At least get a drink at the Ahwahnee Hotel, if not a meal; it is quite a place.

Tuolumne and the valley floor are jumping off places for many back country hikes that are marvelous, and for a backpacker, a far better experience than either location itself. But if you are a backpacker, you probably already know about those things. If not and you're interested anyway, let me know.

Other than Yosemite itself, in 10 days, you could dedicate a day to driving over Tioga pass to hwy 395, sightseeing Mono Lake, and Bridgeport to the south, which will give you great views of the Sierras. This would probably be better done as a two day trip, but could be done in one day if you're mainly just driving and not hiking around much.

If I knew if you were backpackers or hikers or just sightseers, I could probably add a few other things.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Sorry, in my last post, I should have said, from Lee Vining, either drive north to Bridgeport or south to Mammoth, either way you have beautiful views of the Sierras. I guess I got a little turned around in my mind.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
breakaway,
All the things McDave said, I second.
Just a couple more things to see come to mind.
Tuolumne Grove, giant Sequoia trees are unbelievable.
Don't forget to get up to Glacier Point for a spectacular view of the valley.
Also bring bicycles or you can rent them in the valley. That is a really nice way to see the place.
We also like to spend the evening at curry Village Pizza, Talking about the great adventures over pizza and IPA.
Don't forget the sandals and shorts, hiking boots and cushy socks. I think day packs are a must, for water, food, etc, etc.
It is a diverse are with so many things to see and do.
Rainbow Pools are just outside the park on HWY 120 just west of your campground. It is a beautiful place of water falls you can swim under and dive from the rocks into large deep pools of fresh clear water. Amazing!
July can will be warm, if not hot in the valley, and cool, if not down right cold up at the Tioga Pass HWY 120.
I have left out countless things to see and do. Like just sitting by the Merced river quietly watching the water, while time melts away as you gaze up at the north face of El Capitan. I am sure You will find your own favorites.
Be careful with your food. The squirrels are bandits.
The wildlife is abundant and used to people for the most part. Some are serious beggars, because well meaning people feed them.
Don't forget the sunscreen! Hope you have a great time!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
McDave and batman thank you for the advice. You have reinforced what I has found online. We will be traveling from Michigan and are very excited to visit the west coast. We Cycle and hike but gave up tenting. We hope to hike Half Dome but will not be going to the top via the ropes as we both don't like the risk. We have new Camelbak backpacks and Trekking poles so we are equipped to hike. Daily five mile walks for now until it warms up a bit out east.

In addition to camping in Hodgdon Meadow we will be staying four nights at Curry so as to truly immerse into the heart of Yosemite.

If you have a favorite hike of less than ten miles we are looking for that special locations.

Thanks!!

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Since you're not gong all the way up Half Dome, I suggest the Clouds Rest trail instead. It has better views than the approach trail to Half Dome, and good views of Half Dome and other things along the way. That way, you would have an actual destination as opposed to just getting to the base of Half Dome and turning around. It's about 7 miles, as I recall, but should be within your capabilities, as you describe them, so long as you don't plan to do too many other things that day. Another trail that you might like is the 4 mile trail from the valley floor to Glacier Point. You can either walk both ways (8 miles + 2,000' elevation gain) or just walk one way and ride the bus either coming or going.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
A few suggestions. You might want to hike around Hetch Hetchy to the waterfall as a tune up to acclimate to the altitude. There is a trail that runs along Yosemite creek to the top of Yosemite fall and goes on to Eagle peak which is the highest of the Three Brothers formation. There used to be a wooden box there so you could sign in and say something inspirational. Its a long hike so bring plenty of water!
From the valley floor, try the Four Mile trail to Glacier point. A real butt kicker and well worth it. The Nevada and Vernal Fall hike is a must. Start early before it gets too crowded.I heard that you need a permit to do Half Dome now. I did it almost forty years ago so my memory of it is a little cloudy. Back in the high country, we did a hike to a place called Indian Arch. Kind of neat with an awesome view of Half Dome. From Curry you can hike a trail to Bridalveil Falls. We never see too many people on it. Stop at the Chapel along the way. (Lisa and I were married there)

There are so many hikes to do, I could go on and on. The only one I think I haven't done is the Inspiration trail. Maybe next time.

I can suggest one other but you should PM me for info. Been closed for years.

Enjoy,
Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
The cables up half dome are not all that scary and the view is worth it. Just bring heavy gloves. And sticky shoes! A very early start camel back packs and a water filter to refill.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
See my post about Yosemite here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1745919

You'll probably be too late for the spring wildflowers but there may still be plenty in bloom.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Manitou Springs , Colorado
There is no north face of El Cap!
Don Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Another trail you might like is the Snow Creek trail. One reason is because it isn't on anyone's "must do" list, and therefore will probably not be filled with other hikers. It is on the opposite side of the valley from Half Dome, and the view of Half Dome from the top of the trail is spectacular. As my Facebook avatar, I have a picture of myself taking a siesta at the top of this trail, with Half Dome in the background. There is a rock formation called Lost Arrow Spire, which is probably more trouble than it's worth to climb, but a lot of climbers like to climb it anyway because then they can show off by doing a tyrolean traverse to get back to the rim. You may see pictures of climbers doing this in some of the various gift shops in the valley. If you look around near the top of this trail, you can find the place where you can look over the rim and see the top of the Lost Arrow Spire. You'll probably get a queasy feeling, because it's weird to look down on a such a big vertical finger of granite and think how it would be to climb it. If you're very lucky, there may be a group of climbers who will entertain you with a tyrolean traverse when they finish their climb.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Joshua Tree , California
There were horse rides available up in Toulomine as well. They took us over terrain that did not have hiking trails, so you would get a different view. (My horse was the ever flatulant "Beaner." I brought up the rear.)��
StarckMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Doucette View Post
There is no north face of El Cap!
Quite correct. I should have said "gazing North" at El Capitan. It would actually be the South East face or South West face or The Nose, depending on where you are on the river. I sit corrected.

-Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20070613_3244.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	257487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20070613_3282.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	257488  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote