Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Yosemite Camping ??????

We are planning a trip to Yosemite Natl. Park. Any suggestions of favorite campgrounds and sites??? Thanks for your helpl. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Yosemite too

Yes & no. We have reservations for Yosemite in June. It's an incredible place. Reservations are tough, but makeable. They don't have any hookups there so be prepared. We have a 27' Overlander. So it really limits us to only 10 spots in the whole Valley. Smaller trailers are a lot easier to find spots. Also, a few restaurants, snack bars and markets. It's easy camping.

This will be our first trip with the A/S. We have always camped, or used a tent trailer. I've been going since I was a kid, and we have always stayed in Upper Pines. It's the furthest campground in the valley, so it helps you to stay away from the daily tourists. Any campground is great though. You really can't have a bad time there, it's just too nice!

Good Luck,
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
We stay outside the valley so we can have full hookups. The two places we stayed at are Yosemite Lakes and Yosemite Pines.

Both look great on the websites, but Yosimite Lakes gets my vote. It is also a Thousand Trails park, but you do not need to be a member to go there. We are not.

They have paddle boats, mini golf, and are about 5 minutes to the entrance to Yosemite which makes it about 30 minutes to the valley floor.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Wooo, Yosemite!

My favorite (although I prefer camping in the park).

March and early April are best for me, cuz the wildlife have forgotten about us over the winter. Real bear encounters, coyotes, wolves. one mountain lion, and next-to-no interference from other campers. I have been a huge fan for 35 or so years, but haven't been there since the campfire ban (which should improve the summer experiences a bit).

Yosemite is America's favorite campground, but the vast majority leave their cars just long enough to walk to a gift shop. Don't forget to try some John Muir stuff, if you are physically able. Don't forget the bikes or Segways!

Enjoy!
airstream6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Website..

We have a neighbor who retired from NASA and "works" at Yosemite as Campground Host with his large Class C motorhome.. I think easiest remaining campground for trailers is Lower Pines, but there is a website for the park that lists several possible options. They are very strict about generator hours and quiet times inside the park, so if you enjoy late evening conversation and running the generator, places outside are better ideas...

Look at: http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/camping.htm

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
KOA has a campground a few miles down the road from Yosemite. It was very nice and the staff was very friendly, when I was there in 2003.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
RESERVATIONS! From now till mid October , reservations to camp on the valley floor are a must. Monday thru Thursday are your best bet. Our favorite camp sites are ; # 1- any of the 12 sites along the river in North Pines camp.
# 2- any of the 10 sites along the river in Lower Pines.
# 3- site #s 1 thru 124 in UpperPines.
Bring bikes, don't drive unless you leave the valley. Walk,ride your bikes or the shuttle bus. No camp fires allowed in the mornings.

We'll be there last week of May, 12th annual family get together in Yosemite. We get 3 campsites together,25 people more or less.

For reservations, www.nps.gov/yose .
Enjoy yourself,

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
I have a reservation at Indian Flats RV park in El Portal for the last week of May. Anybody out there stay here and what's the skinny?
Will be there for a photo shoot during the week, so up early and home late!!

Cheers, Jeff
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
This is sort of a dumb question (I haven't been to Yosemite w/a Trailer - only a Tent). What about Bears tearing into Trailers? Does it happen? They have pictures posted of what a Bear is capable of doing to a car to get to the donuts that were left inside . . . Do you have to empty all your food into the bear proof "metal box" every night?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
No, you don't have to move your food to the bear lockers from your RV.
But don't leave anything in your cars or trucks. I think the bears don't try because of the people inside.

Late at night, when everybody is sleeping, there are 2 person bear patrols cruising the campgrounds on foot looking for bears. They will also cite you for improper food storage.

Mark
Old 05-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Yosemite!

I am amazed when people who have visited say, "well it was okay". They are not opening their eyes or getting out of their cars.

If you want to avoid the crowds, and I do mean crowds, go across the 120 toward Lee Vining. There is a State Camprground ($11) on the west side of the road about 6 miles before you reach Lee Vining. Wonderful, peaceful. No hookups of course. But you might get lucky to find a place by the river.

It has grown from the small 20 spot camp to about 50-60.

Have a great time wherever!

(the summer portion of my avatar is Yosemite)
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
As soon as Tioga Pass ( Hwy 120 ) opens I head to the high country , in the winter and spring it's the valley floor. On average, I visit Yosemite 3 to 5 times a year .

I'm always asked " why do you go to Yosemite all the time? ". Being less than 4 hours away, my reply is always " why not ? ".

Tioga Pass isn't suppose to open till mid June this year, I can't wait to get up there.

Mark