Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Yosemite Bears

So, how over the top do I need to be not just with foods, but things like deodorants, cleaning products, soaps shampoos...etc Do I need to have EVERYTHING in my trailer cleared out and placed in a Bear locker? Keep nothing in the shower, or cabinets?

Including the beers in my fridge?? This will be my first time there, and I don't want to be part of the problem...I also like the way my trailer and truck look right now without a bear smashing it...

What are peoples experiences with bears from inside the trailer? Did you absolutely clear EVERYTHING out? Or can I leave the basics and store just the obvious food and meat items in the locker? Thanks for your help.
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
The rules talk about food in cars/trucks, trailers/motorhomes don't seem to be an issue with bears breaking in. No restrictions on TT & mohos
Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Trailers/motorhomes have one thing that cars and trucks generally don't— a refrigerator.

Which I can tell you after tons of food rotted inside home refrigerators after the month-long power outage of Hurricane Katrina, does an excellent job of keeping odors from escaping. But ye gods, the odors that escaped when we opened the fridge doors to clean out the spoiled foods!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Yosemite bears have not yet started breaking into motorhomes or trailers. They only break into cars if they see signs of food in them (visible cans) or smell food, or if they have had good luck with another car that looks like that one. If one brown Mazda gets broken into, other brown Mazdas are at a higher risk. The usual MO is for the bear to hook its claws into the top of the door and bend the door in half at the base of the window, the weakest spot.

Don't leave any food outside your trailer unless it's in a bear box. And don't leave tasty things in view inside the windows, or leave your windows open with a plate of cookies just inside (bears have a sweet tooth). They yield to temptation, but are pretty lazy in what they'll explore unless they see evidence.

Your shampoo is fine in the bathroom, your food is safe in your fridge and cupboards. Don't leave any food in your tow vehicle.

Have a great time!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Yosemite bears have not yet started breaking into motorhomes or trailers. They only break into cars if they see signs of food in them (visible cans) or smell food, or if they have had good luck with another car that looks like that one. If one brown Mazda gets broken into, other brown Mazdas are at a higher risk. The usual MO is for the bear to hook its claws into the top of the door and bend the door in half at the base of the window, the weakest spot.

Don't leave any food outside your trailer unless it's in a bear box. And don't leave tasty things in view inside the windows, or leave your windows open with a plate of cookies just inside (bears have a sweet tooth). They yield to temptation, but are pretty lazy in what they'll explore unless they see evidence.

Your shampoo is fine in the bathroom, your food is safe in your fridge and cupboards. Don't leave any food in your tow vehicle.

Have a great time!

I hope there are no other red convertibles in the campground!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00706.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	207814  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
I always wondered how a BBQ grill would fare in bear country...I usually leave it out if I'm in one spot fir a few days or under cover Bakflip) in the bed of my truck. The grill has some cooking bits on it...not sure how attractive test might be to a bear. Not so concerned about damage to the BBQ...I just don't want to attract any unwanted guests. Has anyone ever had issues with that?
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Benicia , California
Your best bet is to ask the Park Rangers - they are very knowledgeable & interesting to talk to.
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
Your best bet is to ask the Park Rangers - they are very knowledgeable & interesting to talk to.
Yup. There is usually someone at the information desk in the visitor center in Yosemite Village. They try to keep up with bear sightings and things to watch out for.

I have a couple of cousins (cousin and her husband) who lived in Yosemite while raising their children. The dad is still a ranger and their daughter has followed in his footsteps. She is now one of the wildlife biologists who live in Yosemite Village and deal with the delinquent bears.

In my experience, and from what I've heard, bears are drawn as much to sweets as to meat. The one time I had a vehicle broken into (nearly 40 years ago, before there was as much bear info), a bear neatly swiped out the rear passenger window. It ate the zucchini bread off the dash and all of our swiss miss cocoa mix, marshmallows and granola, but left the jerky, dried soups and other non-sweet foods.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Which campground are you in FreshAir
Very nice
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I don't know about Yosemite, but we live in bear country and recommend the following.

1. Food inside your fridge in your AS is fine, but close up the trailer completely when you are away. Ditto for your tow vehicle. I think the bear-proof lockers are more for tent-campers.

2. Don't leave any food items outside, such as picnic coolers (which bears can open) or food on a picnic table. I don't think they'd be attracted to most non-food scents. (So long as they don't smell like honey. )

3. Scrub any BBQ grill you plan to leave outside. Bears can be attracted to the smell of those burned food particles.

4. Don't leave a pet outside tied up or in a wire crate if you are away.

5. If you have a functioning cell phone and a bear wanders into your campground area, just call the park service. (And don't get close to it to take its picture.) Generally the rangers like to know where the bears are, and often do, so that they can keep everyone safe. If one heads towards your campsite and going in your AS isn't an option, you can grab pots, pans and metal spoons and start banging on them, while yelling. (This does scare away black bears. Ask me how I know.) If this doesn't faze it, walk--don't run--away.

It's up to you, but if you plan any backcountry hiking, you might carry some bear spray. It is available in stores that cater to outdoorspeople.

Now, is anyone ready for bear jokes? The last thread like this generated quite a few.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
In a previous life my father and I were walking at night in Yosemite and we spotted a bear. We became a legend in Yosemite as two unknown streaks of light spotted close to the lodge.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
When we camped at Yosemite, we were told to close all windows and hatches when we left and to put food out of sight. We never left stuff around and always emptied the trash before bed. We did grill out, but we were good about staying right next to the grill except once, when my husband left the burgers cooking and came in the camper for a quick minute. We heard our dog, who was tied outside, suddenly start barking ferociously towards the woods behind us. We ran outside, but it wasn't until later that we found some fresh bear scat in the forest behind our site. But like others said, just ask the rangers what to do when you check in - they'll gladly make sure you follow the rules!!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
You will get plenty of information as you check in - and read it all. The regulations in Yosemite regarding bears and food storage are unlike other national parks - especially those Rocky Mountain national parks that have grizzlies.

Yosemite has its own set of problems, and issues. Thus, they have their own regulations and rely heavily on the bear boxes - which the bears cannot get into. For example, as webspinner said, the bears in Yosemite learned how to break into cars - and so the regulations focus on cars.

The biggest suggestion is not the recommendations of others - and I say that with respect to their recommendations - they are good ones for bear country - normally. But Yosemite is... Yosemite. The issue is the regulations - and they are very strict. For instance, the only "grill" you can leave out is the one that comes attached to the ground in the campground - leave your own out and count on at least a $50 - or more - "food storage" fine. And don't blow off the fine - it's a federal area and the fine will follow you wherever you go. That's why there is a branch of the US District Court in Yosemite with its own resident magistrate judge!

Having said all that - millions of people camp in the park every year, and they get along fine. You will too!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We went to Glacier National Park with some trepidation, knowing that the bears there are grizzlies and not black bears, and thinking that National Park bears are National Park bears.

We needn't have worried. Glacier learned from Yosemite before any bear problems became entrenched and the bears, by and large, keep clear of civilization. Apparently, Glacier bears don't even know that coolers hold food.

Yosemite bears are the bad apples and learn bad habits from each other faster than the park employees can re-condition or relocate them. So follow the rules and report any bear sightings and you'll be fine.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Glacier NP has both black and grizzly bears. We were camping at Kintla Lake and had one black bear just across the creek from the auto CG; and another one walked into the primitive CG at the end of the lake, where we were canoe-camping. We also spotted one at Avalanche Lake, a popular hiking destination. We've seen cinnamon bears (the brown variety of the black bear) at Waterton Lakes NP just over the border from Glacier.

It doesn't take much ingenuity for a bear to open a picnic cooler. They are intelligent and powerful.

At the Lake Louise CG in Banff NP, north of Glacier, you will see a display by the entrance station: a small billboard about being "bear aware" with a mangled picnic cooler mounted beneath it.

I've not heard stories of them learning to open car doors, though, in our region. We live in bear country and have had them in our yard on occasion.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
We went to Glacier National Park with some trepidation, knowing that the bears there are grizzlies and not black bears, and thinking that National Park bears are National Park bears.

We needn't have worried. Glacier learned from Yosemite...
Actually, it's the other way around - Yosemite has yet "to learn" - if we ever meet along the road, somewhere, I'll be happy to give you the back-story...
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We've camped in our Airstream in Yosemite Valley--Upper Pines--and had absolutely no problems with bears. Follow the rules, they're posted everywhere; and you'll be fine.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
When we went to Yosemite last summer, we put our small grill into the food box (there's one located in each campsite) every night...after the grill cooled down, of course. We left no other edible items outside. Didn't have a problem.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
On the road again...

2017 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
We spent a week in Yosemite two years ago. One day there was a car in the lot behind the General Store that had been there all night. They had left some canned goods, unopened, in the back seat, and the car was mauled by bears during the night trying to get to the cans. The damage included scratches, dents, windows bent out, doors almost torn off, cracked wind shield, and more. And, it was a rental. We could just imagine the explanation when it was turned in.... Oh, to have been a fly on the wall...

Bottom line: Follow the posted rules, ask the rangers, and all will be fine.

Susan and Ed
sekibel is offline   Reply With Quote