Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Yellowstone Visit

We are planning a visit to Yellowstone Natl.PK. early September.
Being newbies could we get some advise where to set up camp from where we can visit the sites? We are traveling in a 30' International with two Shepherds.

Lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
From a prior trip into that area, make sure to put the dogs inside if there is a Grizzly bear in the immediate vicinity. Dogs and big bears with cubs do not play well together.....

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Everyone has to camp visit Yellerstone once. We stayed at bridge bay, be prepared for no hookups, no central heat, no was awful and awesum. Rain, sleet and snow all in the same day...combined with dead batteries...I thought I had it all figured out, Mrs. HiHo explained in no uncertain terms that I did not! I can remember a class A that left at 5:00 because the coach batteries died and the heater quit.

It was a point in our camping where we decided to figure out how to stay at places and not be tied to full hookups. That was a very good thing!

We have been back 2 times and pretty much avoided Yellerstone, we discovered that the Tetons are probably our favorite place...
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Check-out Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner, MT (north gate) or Yellowstone Grizzly in West Yellowstone, MT (west gate.) These are full hook-up campgrounds. I believe Fishing Bridge is a full hook-up National Park campground on the east side of Yellowstone. Reservations can be made on line at the NP reaservation system Xanterra. If time permits take a day trip to the Grand Tetons and Jenny Lake.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We prefer to camp inside the park. We have stayed at Madison and Grant Village campgrounds. Loved them both but you need to be ready to charge batteries with a generator and haul water. I like Grant Village the best. Grant Village has showers & Madison does not. You will not be able to fit a 30 footer in some of the Yellowstone campgrounds. I have always wanted to visit Yellowstone after Labor Day. You will love it.

Do not miss the Tetons while you are at Yellowstone. It is a short drive south and extremely spectacular.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
just returned..

We just got back from our 5k mile trip which Yellowstone was on our route. Our trailer is a Safari 30 and it is set up for power off the grid as long as we want, our limitation is water keeping us dry camping to a max of 4 days or 3 nights. This was our third trip and if you like dry camping Norris campground is awesome, if you need power and want to stay in the park Fishing Bridge has full hookups however the sewer connection is a foot above the ground!
I can second the crazy weather comment, September will have frosty nights.

Not sure which direction you are coming in from but there is a ton of one way road construction between Roosevelt and tower falls is rough on a trailer and has lengthy weight.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Beartooth Pass is another beautiful place to see. It was Charles Kuralt's favorite place, I believe. Its beyond the NE entrance on Hwy 212. You wont regret it but check the weather conditions in that area if you go. In September you could have ANY type of weather. We are going to Yellowstone also but in the last part of August. We plan to stay in Fishing Bridge c/g. Stayed there before and like the full hookups. It seems no matter where you stay there is some repeat scenery. To me though, it is worth it!!!! It's my favorite place to be! Evenings and early mornings are a good time to see wildlife - sometimes in the c/g with you!!!
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We were at Bridge Bay for 3 days last week. The spots are pretty tight, but our site was fine for our 25 and TV. If you are 62+ the sites are only around $11 per night which is a great deal. Check the online reservations and see what you can find. My first choice would have been Madison, but we could not find a spot there.

The park has so many different feature that you will be parked close to some and far from many others.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
We went to Yellowstone the second week of September a couple of years ago. The weather was nice with cool evenings. We stayed at Bakers Hole campground (Bakers Hole Campground) just outside of West Yellowstone (recommended to us by follow Airstreamers from Bozmen MT). There are electric sites.. . It wasn't busy when we arrived (3pm) but it tends to fill up in the evening..
Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have spent all of September in the Yellowstone area for 10 years or so. As others have mentioned, the nighttime temperatures can get very low and it is best to plan for that if you wish to stay without hookups. The coldest night in West Yellowstone last September was something like 9 F.

We particularly like Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone and Yellowstone's Edge in Emigrant. Emigrant in the Yellowstone River Valley north of the park. Neither is inexpensive but their facilities are tops. West Yellowstone also has a number of other commercial RV parks.

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
1984 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
My wife and I just got back from Yellowstone. We stayed for a week at Colter Bay Village rv park in the Grand Tetons. The next week, we stayed at Fishing Bridge. Both had full hook ups. Colter Bay rv sites were more spread out. I was really impressed with the Grand Tetons, especially Jenny Lake! We broke the trip up into two parts. When staying in the Tetons, we only toured the southern part of YNP. Once we moved to Fishing Bridge, we were able to cover the northern half of the park. In all, we drove a little 600 miles while in the two parks!
gmcryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The hiking trails across the lake from Signal Mountain Lodge are wonderful and the animals are in their "home" and we are the visitors.

We stumbled upon a 200+ pound young black bear and we were both surprised. He was about 20 feet away and scampered across in front of us to a tree faster than I could get in front of my wife standing beside her. We elected to keep moving even faster along the trail in case a more senior member of that bear family showed up and was less hospitable.

Later that day we slid down an icy part of the trail into the woods and I happened to look left and a fully antlered bull moose was lying down 15 feet from the edge of the trail behind some berry bushes probably chewing his cud. We did not linger there either.

Even in July, there can be pop up snow storms, so one must be prepared when hiking.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
We spent several days at Yellowstone in late June. It was below freezing every night. We spent one night at Yellowstone Grizzly. It's a very nice commercial park. But at $65 a night, and quite a drive into the park we opted to stay at Grant Village. It's a beautiful place on the shore of Yellowstone Lake, and close to the south entrance for a trip to the Tetons. No hookups, so Jeni let me buy a generator. My 28 fit just fine in our pull through space but it took every leveling block I had.

Be sure to see the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone at Artists Point. Spectacular.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Don't overlook the Nat. Forest campsites outside of West Yellowstone. Not far at all and very nicely laid out. No water on site but many with electric. All have water nearby. That is if they haven't turned it off by Sept.

Have a great time and enjoy.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote