Old 07-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
You have a lot of good suggetions here but I'll throw in my 2 cents also. We liked the idea of staying outside the park, we didn't want to dry camp and Fishing Bridge is overpriced, we have a dog and felt like it was not a dog-friendly environment because of the other wildlife around. We were very happy staying in West Yellowstone at Wagon Wheel Campground, it's much prettier, with trees, older but very well maintained and cheaper ($46.95 with Good Sam discount) than the Grizzly RV Park. It's easy enough getting in and around Yellowstone from there. One source I find very helpful is rvparkreviews.com...it is a great way to hear how real people rate the parks all over the US, and many reviewers give you more info about the area, sites, internet, and more than you get in the guide books. Fun travels to you!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I lived in Island Park, Idaho while working for the Forest Service and Pond's Lodge for many years; it is 27 miles into Idaho from West Yellowstone. Dogs and wildlife do not get along, be it bears, buffalo, elk or moose. Now that the wolves have decimated the elk and buffalo, they don't distinguish between someone's dog and a wolf. Also, September is the very best time to be in Yellowstone; elk are in the rut and lots of bugeling and bulls fighting. However, the bears get real urgent to eat and find things to eat before they hibernate. Don't let it be you for dinner. Another really neat part of the YNP that gets very little use is the SW corner at the Bechler Ranger District. You have to get there through Ashton, Idaho. Unreal fishing and lots of wildlife. The boundary trail is exciting but you need to be in good shape. Lots of campgrounds from West Yellowstone to Island Park. Have fun but be careful of your surroundings. Always carry a BIG can of bear spray. Keep us posted.

Pap

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Some campgrounds in the park close right after Labor Day so keep this in mind. Bridge Bay closes 9/2, Indian Creek 9/8 and Canyon 9/9. Others close the 3rd week in September. We stayed with our dogs at Fishing Bridge with full hookups the second week in September when we were there. The spaces are a little close together, but there were very few people there so it was like we had the place to ourselves. No problems with the dogs at all if you obey the rules. It is mating season for the elk that time of year too, so the bull elk were bugling all around the campground. It was cool! Here's a pic of F-Loop at Fishing Bridge in Sept...oh, and have FUN!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone_20050922_1778.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	192141  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Boy, CAStreamer! Your post and picture really make me want to go in September. I wish it could be this year but we will have to plan for next year because of work. Such a great trip to look forward to
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
Boy, CAStreamer! Your post and picture really make me want to go in September. I wish it could be this year but we will have to plan for next year because of work. Such a great trip to look forward to
Thanks. Here are a few more to wet your whistle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yellowstone_20050921_1518.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	899.4 KB
ID:	192159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone_20050921_1549.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	935.9 KB
ID:	192160  

Name:	Yellowstone_20050921_1594.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	703.2 KB
ID:	192161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone_20050923_1836.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	773.9 KB
ID:	192162  

Name:	Yellowstone_20050922_1700.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	192163  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
This thread has been very interesting. We are heading for Montana via Eastern Oregon and Idaho on August 11th for three weeks. Our primary destination is the Billings area to see friends. We've been to Yellowstone but have never really explored the Tetons.

I've been wondering what would be the most sensible route from Billings down to Grand Teton National Park and Jackson. We've been thinking about going down via Thermopolis.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
This thread has been very interesting. We are heading for Montana via Eastern Oregon and Idaho on August 11th for three weeks. Our primary destination is the Billings area to see friends. We've been to Yellowstone but have never really explored the Tetons.

I've been wondering what would be the most sensible route from Billings down to Grand Teton National Park and Jackson. We've been thinking about going down via Thermopolis.
Thermop is pretty far south. Definately the scenic route, if you like looking at sagebrush. If it were me, I'd go: Billings-Laurel-Cody-Yellowstone East Gate, then head south in Yellowstone toward Jackson. There is construction on Hwy 14 between Cody and Yellowstone that will slow things a bit, but you're going to hit that just about everywhere this time of year.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Yellowstone after Labor Day

We are also planning to visit Yellowstone for 4-5 days, the week after Labor Day. Recreation.gov shows no reservable campsites, but Norris is first-come, first-served. What are the chances, if we arrive 9-11 am, that we will find a site (19' Bambi)? Any suggestions for non-res campgrounds as alternatives?

Also, we'll be driving from Vancouver, WA (via I-90). We figure a good two day drive, without killing ourselves. Any suggestions for a good/interesting place to "drop anchor" along the way?

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Browns Mills , New Jersey
We are outside of Yellowstone right now! We have been on a road trip from New Jersey since July 24 and have made no reservations anywhere including here. Well, we didnt get into Yellowstone today. We made a couple of phone calls from Cody Wyoming at 1:00 this afternoon and no luck. But, we did find a place 30 miles outside of here named Yellowstone Vallley Inn. Nice place, some full hook ups, some just electric and water, laundry, showers, pool, restaurant and bar!! We plan on taking a couple of day trips from here for the next cole of days, then try and get into Yellowstone park on Sunday morning. Heres what I hear, checkout is at 11:00 am, so thats when we plan to be at the gate. Supposidy there is a list (only at the gate) of which sites have openings. Reservations are made a year in advance!!! Anyway, thats my plan, hope this helps anyone else out there...maybe we'll see you there! We have a 1988 29 foot Excella, look for us!!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Wow, that's what I call "fresh news"! Good luck on finding a campsite! Feel free to post your experience.
-Jerry

Jerry & Susan
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi & Bob View Post
We are outside of Yellowstone right now! We have been on a road trip from New Jersey since July 24 and have made no reservations anywhere including here. Well, we didnt get into Yellowstone today. We made a couple of phone calls from Cody Wyoming at 1:00 this afternoon and no luck. But, we did find a place 30 miles outside of here named Yellowstone Vallley Inn. Nice place, some full hook ups, some just electric and water, laundry, showers, pool, restaurant and bar!! We plan on taking a couple of day trips from here for the next cole of days, then try and get into Yellowstone park on Sunday morning. Heres what I hear, checkout is at 11:00 am, so thats when we plan to be at the gate. Supposidy there is a list (only at the gate) of which sites have openings. Reservations are made a year in advance!!! Anyway, thats my plan, hope this helps anyone else out there...maybe we'll see you there! We have a 1988 29 foot Excella, look for us!!
No, get to the gate before 11:00 am.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
We went in June. We saw a lot of Forest Service campsites in the Madison Valley north of West Yellowstone.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In my fifthe season as a ranger in YNP.

In September, you have an excellent chance of scoring a campsite in one of the "first come, first served" campgrounds if you begin your search at 0900 or so.

Even in July, we had open sites more often than not.

There are also at least a dozen Forest Service campgrounds spread between the east, west,northeast and north entrance. Surprisingly, several of these have electric hookups.

For full hook ups, you need to go commercial. West Yellowstone and Gardiner, MT. are the closest to the Park. Always pricey.

Bison going into rut shortly so don't count on a quick transit of the park, especially on the east side. Elk rut goes next month but they generally don't block the roads.

Weather will often be below freezing in the morning after Labor Day. 36 this morning...

Mike
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Great info, Mike! We're looking forward to our visit!

Jerry & Susan