Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Laurel Hill , Florida
Yellowstone Trip 2018

Planning a trip to Yellowstone in 2018.
I have two question:
1. Would it be best to plan on two RV parks to see all of Yellowstone or can I see it just staying in one park like the KOA in West Yellowstone.

2. I would like to take my grandson....he is 5 and will be 6 in august. We are are plan ing to be thete in July. We live in Fl and will be gine about a month. Is he to young or do you think he will enjoy the trip?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We stayed at Mammoth in Yellowstone. Do not think we had reservations but you should check. It is in the north central part of the park. It would be a delight for a youngster. Checking out all the wild life and the geysers will be fun. My favorite park!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
A good place to start:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/kidsyouth/index.htm
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ngbridgecg.htm
Full hookups, reservations required, you can easily get to all parts of the park from here, afternoon traffic is very slow throughout the park. My first visit was age 8, been back many times.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
My kids are 5 and 6. They have been rving since they were 4 months old and over the last 5 years have covered about 25,000 miles total and around 175 nights on the road. They love it and I'm sure you're grandson will enjoy the trip. However, let me provide some tips for traveling with young kids. First, plan to stop every couple of hours for restroom and/food breaks (and keep some snacks in vehicle). Second, a DVD player in the tow vehicle helps pass long time on the road. Headphones will help you survive the dvds. Coloring and activity books are also good ways to pass time. Third, I try to have a stop during each travel day during which kids can run around and get some exercise. Sometimes this is a Park and picnic lunch. Other times it is a tourist attraction. Bottom line is they need a hour or more in middle of day out of car and a chance to move around. Last, if you can, try to break up days of continuous travel a day of no travel.
As you might have picked up by now, young kids can travel very well but it may be at slightly slower pace than you would without them.
Yellowstone is great. I stayed at fishing bridge to have hookups and it fairy centrally located in park. Grants village is also centrally located if you do not need hookups. Yellowstone is huge and you will need to be strategic planning each days outing to cover park without backtracking. My favorite thing during last visit was the back country horse back ride to a campfire dinner. There is an option to ride in a wagon for the dinner if your grandchild isn't comfortable riding a horse yet.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
If I wqas going to spend a month in the Park and surrounding areas, I would want to move several times. The Park itself is quite large, and traffic can be quite slow. Particularly in July. If you try to see the whole park from just one campsite, you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time behind the wheel. In addition to the various sites in YNP, you should also consider seeing Grand Teton, just south.

As to your grandson, that depends on whether you're willing to keep a 5-year-old entertained. There's no doubt that there is plenty to see and do in YNP, if you have the energy to do it with him. There is limitless hiking, geyser basins, thermal features, fly fishing, wildlife watching, plus the more routine elements of camping (campfires, s'mores, cookking meals outdoors, etc.). But it's a national park,not an amusement park, the things to do require active engagement.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' Flying Cloud
2013 19' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
We stayed a Fishing Bridge because of the hookups. It is, indeed, very tight quarters. Didn't matter cause we weren't there to hang out in the trailer. It's right in the center of the NP, closer to lots of attractions. We only used the Airstream for eating and sleeping- we were out seeing the sights during the days. Reservations are a must.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1949 View Post
Planning a trip to Yellowstone in 2018.
I have two question:
1. Would it be best to plan on two RV parks to see all of Yellowstone or can I see it just staying in one park like the KOA in West Yellowstone.

2. I would like to take my grandson....he is 5 and will be 6 in august. We are are plan ing to be thete in July. We live in Fl and will be gine about a month. Is he to young or do you think he will enjoy the trip?

We have been several times. Last time we did 5 days in the area and stayed in West Yellowstone at the RV park in town. We spent 4 days in the park and did one quadrant of the park per day then rested the last day and walked around West Yellowstone. To be honest though If I was taking a 5 year old I would hit the big high spots in the park, go to the grizzly bear exhibit for at least one feeding, and head over to the visitor center at quake lake. Do a little fishing and be very careful to have all their documents and follow the rules for the area. My young (at the time) son and I were questioned 3 times by park police in a 3 hour period. Regardless what a great trip you will have!!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
We've been to Yellowstone several times. So many, I don't remember every place we stayed. And it ranged from lodges, to tent trailer, to 27" Airstream. For the latest, I liked the Fishing Bridge RV park for the Airstream. Although it's tight with regard to privacy (you ARE in Yellowstone), maneuvering is pretty easy. If you get on the road early in the morning, you can get around the park pretty quickly. Later, going back to your trailer, traffic will be backed up, but it's usually due to wildlife, and you will enjoy it anyway . . .
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have been to Yellowstone 8 times and our last visit was in June this year. We dry camped for 3 week. The first week was outside the East Gate at the Rex Hale campground. Great place and its the only place where we have camped that the camp host came by and thanked us for staying at Rex Hale. Traveling from this location into the Yellowstone we averaged over 200 miles each day. The next campground was inside the park at Bay Bridge which is kind of a central location but still involves some driving. This is my favorite campground and we have stayed there several times. I prefer to stay in one location compared to moving to different locations.

You have picked a great park to visit. It's the only park we continually go back and visit. I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We stayed at the Fishing Bridge RV park for two seasons. If you want to see wildlife the best time to go to Yellowstone is in April when there is still snow on the ground and fewer tourists. In spring the thermal features melt the snow and provide the only place for the mega fauna to graze. The roads were designed so that you can drive from one thermal feature to another. You can view the animals before they head for the hills. There are more bears, wolves, bison, elk, etc in the north part of the park but more thermal features in the south and middle of the park.

There are several places to set up camp outside the park but there are camp sites near the park headquarters. I don't want to over dramatize the risks but the animals are real and wild. Grizzlys and wolves can run very fast and the bison will turn on you for no reason. Stay in your car unless you can see that the animals are across the river or moving away from you. Even then you need to literally watch your back. There will be other vehicles but far less than you will see in June, July and August. Watch for wildlife experts. Generally they are wildlife experts and PhD candidates who can answer your questions. Often they will let you look through their spotting scope. While you are in the area think about traveling to Banff and Jasper and stop at Glacier NP on the way back to Florida. The NE corner of Glacier will allow you to step back into the early part of the 20th Century.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cambridge , Massachusetts
We just spent 5 nights at Grant Village in our 16' Sport (couldn't get into Fishing Bridge). It was great but I did miss having hookups. We didn't have to deal with much traffic getting around the park since it wasn't peak season, but during the summer it would have been a pain to get everywhere from the one campground. You'll have a great time whatever you do, the park was amazing.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We were there this summer and last summer.
We had adult kids along last year, and our dog along this year.

I think your plan is good.

Camping in the park as we did (Madison) means you need to return late afternoon each day to run the generator to charge up the batteries. Also with no AC we hit a heat spell this year and it was hot enough we could not leave our dog in the trailer after about 10 am.

Fishing bridge is good as to location, but not much on aesthetics.

You are staying close to the Madison entrance which I believe is the best logistical location for day trips.

Being in "town" with hookups and shopping conveniently near by will save a lot of packing and planning on your part.

I think you should set up a routine to get up at /before dawn and be in the park very early for the best wildlife viewing and least amount of traffic. Those huge tour busses with tourists start arriving at 9:30 or 10:00 and from then on it's very crowded and congested.

Before that time it's like you have the place to yourself.

Second big piece of advice would be to plan to spend some time in the Lamar Valley.

It is where the buffalo herds hang out, has not much traffic, lots of wide open spaces, and is really a treat.

Third advice is to made sure to hit the Norris geyser basin. It will be close to your entrance, and you can't see much from the road, but once you get to it it is a LOT to see with relatively little walking as compared to Old Faithful basin area.

I would also plan to pic nic for lunch every day and keep a set of bag chairs in your vehicle. The food they sell at the park restaurants isn't very good, there are long lines, and it is expensive.

Eating lunch in your chairs by a stream or mountain is really fun and lets you run around a bit and relax.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #14
farsid9

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Williamson , New York
We were there this past June. While Fishing Bridge was nice [but very tight]... they turned the water off 3 nights due to cold temps. It was a problem for many. I suggest you check out staying at the base of the Tetons (Colter Bay RV) and drive up for the day to YS [about 45 miles]. Colter Bay was FANTASTIC with all the enmities and nothing beats camping at the base of the Tetons! Be sure to stay on the boardwalk in YS, it can be very dangerous off the paths. Have fun.