Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Yellowstone / Grand Tetons 2018

We are in the process of planning and making reservations for our summer trip. So far, we are planning on driving from Dallas to Yellowstone about the 2nd week in Sept. 2018. I'm planning on camping at Colter Bay for the first 3 days and then move Madison for 4 days. Colter Bay has full hookups but Madison is dry camping. (we have an inverter generator) My questions are,
Colter Bay looks like a standard tourist trap campground but how is Madison CG? Fishing Bridge is already full but I have yet to see a good review yet anyway. Staying outside in West Yellowstone looks ok on the paper but I've also read where people say the drive back into the park can be long due to the slow traffic. It would be nice if we didn't need to move around which is why I picked Madison. Does anyone have a better suggestion our can you give me an idea on how the Madison CG is?

Thanks,

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Madison is my favorite campground in Yellowstone. It is close to many things, but isolated enough to be peaceful and quiet. We spent 3 days there this summer and enjoyed being parked in the trees. It is a short walk to the Madison River where I fished everyday with limited success, but we were there late in the season. There is a dump station on the way out of the campground.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We tried to get into Yellowstone this past September. The 19th to be precise, and found that the campground at Fishing Bridge was close for the season. The road in from the south to Old Faithful was closed due to snow. Be aware of the weather in mid September.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We went to YNP and GTNP this past June. We stayed at Colter Bay RV Park for about 3 days before heading off to Grant Village. Colter Bay really isn't a tourist trap. The sites are closer together but further apart than your typical RV park. The marina and visitor center is walking distance and their is a laundry facility and store. You still feel like you are in a NP. The gas/diesel at the gas station at Colter Bay about 17 cents cheaper than Jackson Hole. Now that is a tourist trap. We drove through Madison campground while we were there the sites are very shaded for the most part so solar is restricted. A lot of the sites looked like a challeng to level so take extra blocks. Madison should be a better location to see Norris Basin, Old Faithful and Canyon. We had to drive to those areas from Grant and while the distance are not far the speed limit is 45mph. Make sure you get out early each day to avoid the crowds which will still be heavy in September. Take warm clothing as there could be snow. We had snow at Grant in June.

Look at Madison on this site.
https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/wy/madison/
Since you can't reserve a particular site try this.
Print out the campground map. Mark the sites that look good for your size Airstream. When you check in ask the check in person which sires are available and see it any of them match the selections on your map.

Kelvin
Old 10-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for letting me know what to expect. I’m glad to hear Colter is not as touristy as it appears on the Internet. I knew Jackson was geared towards tourist. We normally like national and state parks a lot more than commercial campgrounds. We go for quiet and space not swimming pools and play grounds.

"Life is a team sport"
Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
We were at Coulter Bay this August and we thought it was just fine for our needs. Great breakfast at the restaurant. Also like Flagg Ranch which is just two miles from the south entrance.

Rick
Old 10-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yellowstone / Grand Tetons 2018

There is going to be a major road project next summer between the Fishing Bridge junction and Storm Point that is going to make life in the neighborhood difficult at best.

If anyone needs full hookups, then West Yellowstone will be a better bet.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We wouldn't call Coulter Bay a tourist trap, but please be aware that September is no longer the "off season" in the popular national parks. You'd hate to come all the way from Dallas, find the campgrounds full-up and not give your dream trip to this area your best shot. Reservations are highly recommended.

If you're only going to be a few days on your battery-only you should be fine with sparing use, otherwise a generator (or solar?) would be a good idea.

We've stayed at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. It's a nice place, with super-helpful staff.

The main way to minimize the crowds is to get up super early. We once found no parking, in September, in the parking lots at some of the main attractions. Definitely the case of the early bird getting the worm. Most of the thermal features are on the west side of the park.

Hope you have a super holiday.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
We have already made our reservations at both places. I’m just trying to make sure I made good choices without ever been there before. You keep reading how packed everything is and how hard it is to find a place to camp. I don’t want to show up and not have a decent place to camp after a 1200 mile drive.

"Life is a team sport"
Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We went to Yellowstone both last summer and this summer. Went over July 4th week both times.

We stayed in Madison 4 nights last year, and 6 nights this year. We feel it is the best all around campground in the park for us.

-Flat, not rocky, and good shade.
-The meadow with the river in it is right there. You can take your chair and your coffee and sit there if you want to. Very relaxing.
-Very pretty, with tall pine trees and treed hills in view.
-Good central location for day touring.

When we were there it was about 40% tent campers and 60% trailers and RVs.

Here is a link to the write-up I did on the 2016 trip when we had a sport 22:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-153482.html

This year with the 25 and only 2 adults we had a blueboy and dumped the gray tank once (after 3 nights). We topped off the fresh water using a 5 gallon jerry can.

KOA in Dubois is wonderful along the Wind River if you go that route. The drive between Rawlins and Dubois through the Wind River range is very beautiful.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post
We have already made our reservations at both places. I’m just trying to make sure I made good choices without ever been there before. You keep reading how packed everything is and how hard it is to find a place to camp. I don’t want to show up and not have a decent place to camp after a 1200 mile drive.
I think it’s important to do the best you can to find a spot that suits you, but if you get there and find it doesn’t don’t let that ruin your trip.

Ultimately, it’s a place to leave your rig while you tour the beautiful parks.

Maggie
Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thank you Piggy Bank!! The link you provided was very helpful. I feel like i made good choices on both parks. That website is very helpful and I had never found it before.

"Life is a team sport"
Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Colter bay is a beautiful park we stayed last year. Grizzly rv park outside the west entrance is also very nice. Only a short drive to the park. Never had traffic problems and we were there in july
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I worked for the Forest Service back in the 70's in Island Park, Idaho, which is 27 miles from West Yellowstone. If you like the normal tourist attractions, then all the above recommendations are great. However, if you like the less traveled , then you might consider the SW part of the Park, Bechler Ranger Station. There are nice RV parks in the Ashton, Idaho area. It is a fisherman's paradise on the Bechler River, Henry's Fork, Mesa Falls, Warm River, and the Railroad Ranch. The Railroad Ranch was a working cattle ranch owned by the Harriman family and donated to the Idaho Parks Department. Wonderful camping and super fishing.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Grand Tetons and Yellowstone are 2 of our favorite places. We head west from VT close to every year. We like having full hook-ups at both areas as we stay to the max permitted. We are major hikers and are out from first thing in the mornings until dinner time, and just want to R&R when back at camp - not worry about RV issues - sewer, water, electric, etc.
Fishing Bridge RV is the tightest space that we ever camp in, but it is centralized in YS, and again we just eat and sleep there. Colter Bay (full hookups) is my idea of heaven. Hike all day until you drop, come "home" jump in Jackson Lake to get the grit off your body - eat dinner and watch the sun set over the Tetons. It doesn't get better than that.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post
We are in the process of planning and making reservations for our summer trip. So far, we are planning on driving from Dallas to Yellowstone about the 2nd week in Sept. 2018. I'm planning on camping at Colter Bay for the first 3 days and then move Madison for 4 days. Colter Bay has full hookups but Madison is dry camping. (we have an inverter generator) My questions are,
Colter Bay looks like a standard tourist trap campground but how is Madison CG? Fishing Bridge is already full but I have yet to see a good review yet anyway. Staying outside in West Yellowstone looks ok on the paper but I've also read where people say the drive back into the park can be long due to the slow traffic. It would be nice if we didn't need to move around which is why I picked Madison. Does anyone have a better suggestion our can you give me an idea on how the Madison CG is?

Thanks,
Hi Czunc,
We stayed at Colter Bay several years ago, albeit in a cabin, not an RV site. But, I wanted to say that if you wake up at 6 a.m. and walk down to Jackson Lake, you'll probably have it all to yourself (at least I did) and will enjoy the serenity & beauty of the place.

Also, the campground roads have been Google mapped, so that'll give you a sense of the place as well. Enjoy your trip!
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

We stayed in the Madison CG in Sept 2015. We liked it and would go back. It can be chilly in Sept. most of the sites are pull though and they let you come in from opposite end so your table is on the correct side. Bathroom was clean, dump station accessible.
Were are you camping in the TETONS?? We really like Gros Ventre. Close to everything but not to close to main road.
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #18

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Lincoln , Nebraska
Going to Yellowstone ourselves this summer. One of our favorite places and have been there a number of times. From past experience have learned that in-park lodging reservations need to be made almost a year in advance if you want to have choices on where to stay. This will be our first trip with our AS and am really looking forward to our mid-August trip. 3 nights each at Colter Bay RV park, Madison CG and Fishing Bridge. From past trips we have learned it takes a long time to get into and out of the park if staying in a surrounding town. Many good ranger led activities and wildlife viewing opportunities when you don't have to burn up all of your time driving in and out.

On a past trip a wise ranger told us YNP has 3 seasons, "July, August and winter." We have been there in June when there was still considerable snow in the south part of the park (higher elevation) and was still melting out. We have also been there in later September, when the days were getting short and some snow showers. We have even taken a winter trip when you could only get around on a tracked vehicle. All of the trips have been wonderful and no doubt you will enjoy whatever time of year you get there regardless of where you stay.
rb552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Where you stay depends a lot on personal CG preferences and planned activities.No idea about the Madison CG. We stayed at the Grizzly RV Park West Yellowstone. 2 blocks from the West entrance to Yellowstone. Expensive but worth it. We were there this year during father's day in June. So was everyone else and their brother. We have a senior national park pass so we didn't have to wait to get through the main gate. I believe if you prepay entrance into the park you can use the same fast lane entrance we did. Others in line to pay looked like a 15-20min wait at the time.

Be aware the traffic in the park is horrendous. Tour buses galore. Traffic stops to look at ground squirrels , let alone bison or elk. It took us 3 hours to travel,( w/no getting out of vehicle) from the West entrance out the East entrance. Not fun. If I went again, I would go before June or after September. Others may have experienced it differently.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Personally, I like Grants Village better than Madison for staying in the park, but both are okay, I guess. For staying outside the park at West Yellowstone, it would be Grizzly for full hookups, or Bakers Hole if you or willing to camp without full hookups. They do have some sites with electric hookups there though).

Don’t worry about driving in the Park in mid-September if you leave early in the morning. By noontime it can be a bitch, all through September. It’s no problem coming in from West Yellowstone early in the morning, but later in the day watch out.

There will probably be construction on the road from Norris to Mammoith next year again, as there was this past summer. The road was closed completely from mid- September to October 7 this year, but I don’t know what it will be next summer. This makes it more difficult, but not impossible, to see places in the north end of the park, coming from the south (including Madison Campground).

Lastly, for any fishermen reading this, the Madison, and it’s tributary the Firehole, do not fish well during mid-summer due to increased summer water temperatures. However, by mid-September the fishing picks up considerably. Many fly fishermen plan their annual fishing trips there for the fall, especially for the large trout that move into these rivers from Hebgen Lake at that time of the year.