Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Yellowstone / Grand Teton Campground Recommendations

I am planning our annual family summer trip and have elected to go from Minneapolis to Theodore Roosevelt N.P, Little Bighorn, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Devils Tower and back to Minneapolis.

Since we will spend the bulk of the trip in Yellowstone and Grand Teton, I am seeking some opinions on the best campgrounds in those two parks. We'll be in Yellowstone and Grand Teton about 5 days each.

We like very rustic, rather secluded wooded sites when possible without having to look at an open field full of RVs (Airstreams are OK of course!). We don't need any hook-ups as I have enough power and the family is conservative with the water when we dry camp. We hike a lot as a family, so quick access to good trails is important. The more remote, the better.

We have a 2001 Yukon with a 1999 Safari 25C.

I am interested to hear what the N.P. campgrounds in those two parks are like and if there is one that may suit my clan based upon the above information.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jace
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:03 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We stayed in Yellowstone NP in 1995 and loved it. There are a few campsites, all have 3 way hook ups. They are all medium sized so you are not looking at the feild or RV's you mention. My suggestion is to try to get into the one that is centrally located so you do not spend all day driving from spot to spot. The park is huge. You will not see pop ups or any kind of "soft sided" campers as you are in the middle of bear country. Take a range of clothing as in the upper elevations there is still snow on the ground in July.

Have fun.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I stayed at there in the summer of 89, ( I think it was 89, a year after the big fires) I think I stayed at Fishing Bridge or Fishing Viilage, it's been a long time. It was first come first serve as far as reservations are concerned, my preferred way of getting a site. I know due to budget crunches and security a lot of things have probably changed since then so you should probably try to find a website and find out more. Well worth the trip and probably my best RV'ing experience ever, you haven't lived life to the full unless you have been to Yellowstone.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Yellowstone campgrounds

Hey Jace,

As Brett stated, the park is hugh and when you add tourist traffic, it's now hugh and slow. It's very common for a bear, elk or bison sighting to stop traffic. Also there is a lot of road work going on through-out the park and some of the roads are on the rough side.
According to AAA "Guide to National Parks" Yellowstone has 12 campgrounds and you must have reserve a spot-even years in advance. I spent 3 months exploring YNP and here's my 2 cents on where I would have a base camp(area's).

Madison: this is the beginning of the geyser's. There are about 10 from here to Old Faithful.

Canyon Village: upper & lower falls- Grand Canyon of Yellowstone- Mt Washburn @ 10,243' with 360 degrees of viewing, has a wide paved path that brings you to the top. Awesome!- Hayden Valley is a great place for Grizzly sightings.

Lamar Valley- there's a campground on the North East Entrance Road. Lamar Valley is where YNP reintroduced the wolves. I saw some of the most beautiful wildflowers in this area. There are also a number of great hikes that your family would love. Also from here you should take a day's drive up and back on the Beartooth Mountain Hwy. Leave the trailer and you'll see sights that you'll be talking about for years to come. If you have enough time, the Chief Joseph Hwy is a beauty too, again leave the trailer behind.

I stop here as I'm getting a little excited myself.

PM me and I'll be happy to share any and all. I'd didn't even talk about the Teton's, which are awesome and I could share some great hikes for your family.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

tourist traffic

traffic

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traffic.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1257  
mike4038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Elk

elk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elk.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1258  
mike4038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lamar Valley

Jace,

Pebble Creek campground is one I would recommend.

Also, Lamar Valley gets the least amount of tourist traffic/activity due to there is the big name draws there. My favorite part of YNP.

John
Old 01-15-2003, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Look at this site: Teton Campgrounds I stayed at Jenny Lake campground many years ago - beautiful but is tents only. Others listed are likely what you are looking for.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Smile More insights

Jace,

These are my insights, if you truly want to be able to see Teton's/YNP and still be able to hike and camp in a more rustic area:

Teton's- In 2 days we'll see almost everything it has to offer, as much of the true beauty is in the backcountry on a multi-day outings.

YNP- 1 day in the geyser basin- 2 day for the upper/lower falls/Grand Canyon of Yellowstone/Mt Washburn & a nice ride through Hayden Valley

Beartooth Mountains- I know that you guys enjoyed Glacier NP and IMHO this is truly Yellowstone at it's best because of the following reasons: 1. Mostly visited by local folks from MT & WY. 2. There are number of beautiful NF campgrounds to chose from that have exactly what you are looking for. 3. There are many hiking trails that are easy to moderate, with awesome views, clear mountain lakes, wildflowers & wildlife.

Here's an example:

Note: Because of snow covering trails, it's recommend to stay here between July15th-Sept 15th

Beartooth Lake Campground-Beartooth Lake lies in the shadows of famous 10,514' Beartooth Butte, which dominates the western horizon.
Awesome hikes from right out your front door.

I have a hiking guide book on this area and would be happy to forward it to you.

John
Old 01-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Yellowstone C.G.

This site provides information on all of the Yellowstone C.G. as well as contact info for reservations:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/services/campgrnd.htm

You might also look at http://campgroundreviews.com/ which has user reviews of some of the sites in both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

My last trip I stayed at Bridge Bay (no hookups) which has a mixture of good and bad sites. I was fortunate to get a good site, but only after wasting my first day in the park getting moved from a poor site (too small for tow vehicle and trailer). This c.g. has a large buffalo population. Occasionally we would open the trailer door to find a large buffalo immediately outside (you don't mess with buffalo).
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Shoshone NF

Jace,

www.fs.fed.us/r2/shoshone/recreation.htm

1/2 way down the page you'll see detail list of campgrounds

John
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Yellowstone & GTNP Remote Campgrounds

Hey Jace,

You might want to explore the possibilities of Slough Creek campground in the northeast corner Yellowstone. It is primitive and wild. (25' max trailer) From there you can hike into some very remote and less travelled areas of Yellowstone. Do be very bear-aware. It is a fabulous place!

For Grand Teton National Park consider: Brooks Lake campground just outside and above GTNP. It's at 9200' and may be the most spectacular campground I've ever seen. (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/shoshone/) This is also a bear area.

If you'd like to chat about more possibilities feel free to email me direct.

DJ
DJ Bassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:54 AM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Last Aug I spent a week at Indian Creek (no hookup)with my 28 footer, some good fishing and hiking. Later I moved to Madison campground, Elec/water remarkable views.
Both times I had no Res. Fuel in the park is very high.
Have fun.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Hi Jace

You can't go wrong camping at Gros Ventre pronounced Gro Vaunt. There are
huge trees a river and wildlife. A small town of Kelly near by with a lake beyond. You
are close to Jackson and sourdough pancakes at Jedidiahs....yum! Look it up
and give it a try, it would be a nice camp for the family. It is a large park but
can be crowded in summer. We go spring & Fall to avoid the folks. Happy Trails and have a wonderful trip. Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote