Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #43

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have stayed at Flagg Ranch. It's OK, but we were not super impressed. There's nothing anywhere nearby.

We have visited Yellowstone on several occasions. We have camped in the park and outside. We prefer the commercial campgrounds in West Yellowstone, Montana. There are several nice ones.

When we visit Grand Teton, we try to stay Gros Ventre Campground in the Park. If that doesn't work out, we camp at the Virginian in downtown Jackson.

We usually visit Grand Teton every year.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I really like the Baker's Hole campground just outside West Yellowstone and the Park. Not full hookups. There are electric sites. It is right on the river and very convenient to the west entrance.

Custer Gallatin National Forest - Baker3As Hole Campground

Stan
Salt Lake City

Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We are staying at Fishing bridge after spending the 4th of July weekend in cody. After three nights in yellowstone we hope to stay at Gros ventre for a few more days before making are way to Boise .We leave Rhode Island on June 23 with a stop at Jackson center on the drive out. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you can show up at Gros Ventre before 2:00, you should get in. They seldom fill, even in July.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Colter Bay RV camping was over book, BUT I call every day and now there are not, got a spot full-hooks for 6 nights in JULY. You just have to call back every day as the person told me people are cancelling all time, there is no waiting list so just call.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have stayed at Flagg Ranch. It's OK, but we were not super impressed. There's nothing anywhere nearby.
I wasn't super impressed, either, but I don't think there is anything actually wrong with Flagg Ranch in terms of the facility itself. It is nowhere near anything.

The one time I visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton, I found that camping at Flagg Ranch worked well an overnight stop in between. We finished all of our hiking and sight-seeing in Yellowstone early one evening, and arrived at Flagg Ranch around twilight. The next morning, it was on to Colter Bay in Grand Teton. If we'd tried to make it all the way to Colter Bay it would have been after dark by the time we reached our site.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Colter Bay RV camping was over book, BUT I call every day and now there are not, got a spot full-hooks for 6 nights in JULY. You just have to call back every day as the person told me people are cancelling all time, there is no waiting list so just call.
Also, the Colter Bay Village Campground (not to be confused with the Colter Bay RV Park) does not accept reservations, and is quite large - 175 of its 335 campsites will accommodate RV's up to 45 feet in length. Only a few sites there have any hookups. When I visited in mid-June a few years back, most of the campgrounds Yellowstone and Grand Teton where sites could be reserved were full, but I was able to get a site at Colter Bay with no problem at 11 AM on a Wednesday.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Regardless if whether there are hookups or not, staying in the Park makes sense to me. It doesn't look all that big compared to Wyo. or Montana, but it is very big and traffic is slow, so seeing the Park rather than someone's taillights means staying in the Park. We do have self contained units and CG's do have bathrooms. To see everything means walking and taking your time, so plan on a long visit, or plan on coming back.

I can't remember, but do you have to pay for Grand Teton NP when you drive north from Jackson and through Grand Teton to get to Yellowstone? I already had a senior pass last time we did it, so I didn't have to give them any money, or I'd remember.

Even at the beginning or end of the season the Park can be crowded and the number of people at Old Faithful is disconcerting—all the benches will be taken and rows and rows of standing people trying to see over each other. Traffic can be especially bad from the south to Old Faithful, but other places people visit the most are slow too. One way to get the flavor of the Park is stay in one or two of the hotels for a few days while the trailer is parked somewhere. Some are old national park style with massive beams, log or stone construction and fairly good restaurants. There are also cabins in some places—we stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs about 10 years ago and the cabin even had a hot tub. Unlike a lot of national park cabins, the walls weren't as thin as paper either. It was around $160/night then, but a great experience. We also stayed at the Lake Lodge—not a national parks style, but a large frame building that needed a lot of restoration. But we had a very large room and when we woke up, we could see Yellowstone Lake out the windows.

Gene
Old 06-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I can't remember, but do you have to pay for Grand Teton NP when you drive north from Jackson and through Grand Teton to get to Yellowstone? I already had a senior pass last time we did it, so I didn't have to give them any money, or I'd remember.

Gene
Yes, there's an "entrance station" at Moran, which is at the junction of US 89 and US 287, a few miles south of Jackson Lake Lodge. A person driving from Jackson to Yellowstone would pay for Grand Teton N.P. entry there, on their way north.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Stayed at Grant Village a few years ago for a few days. Sites are on the small side, but fine for most A/S. Great location for touring the park. There was a 34' A/S wedged in across the road from us. Too long for the site, but they let them stay as they were off of then road. Hope to get back there before too long. Stopped at Yellowstone's Edge for a night on the way into the park from Livingston. Very nice park and people.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Yellowstone Edge is not a very friendly campground, lots of rules and no flexibility, plus zero privacy from neighbors. I would not recommend it unless I had no other options.

Fishing Bridge is the only campground with full hookups in the park.

My favorite campgrounds in the park are Mammoth, and Pebble Creek neither of which has hookups.

Grizzly in West Yellowstone is pretty decent as far as a commercial campground but very pricey.

If you go to tetons, the best options in my opinion are Colter Bay and Gros Ventre.

There are a few other threads here about Yellowstone options with many recent comments. Do a search and you will find them.

-J
Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
I was able to make a reservation at Headwaters RV not far from the YS park, and I was also able to make on at the Mountainside KOA at the west entrance. I have a teen so internet at the trailer might be a good thing and I need to check on my job. So I'll probably stay at the west entrance and just rough it with the traffic etc. Also I read where Headwaters RV Park's sewer hookups in some sites too high off the ground to use successfully, that is a concern, I do not want to have to look for another location and burn a day doing that. I also heard some of Fishing Bridges and Colter Bay Village are too high too.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks for the info. So if you come from Jackson, you pass through Teton on a pretty straight and flat highway through sagebrush and have to pay $20 just to get to Y'stone! About 20 years ago we came to Y'stone via Cody and left going south, but I don't remember paying extra; maybe a better deal then. It was after that fees began increasing dramatically at all federal parks and forest, but at the same time budgets began shrinking and maintenance with few exceptions has been slipping. Ten years ago I had a senior card, so it didn't matter.

There are some nice lakes in Teton and the mountains themselves, but if looks pretty insignificant compared to Y'stone. I'm sure it is worth spending some time there, but Y'stone was what we wanted to see and so we did. Never felt any desire to go back to Teton, but maybe we'll do Y'stone again someday.

Gene
Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The new fee structure, effective June 1st, includes

$30 for a 7-day pass to only Grand Teton by private vehicle
$50 for a 7-day pass to both Grand Teton & Yellowstone by vehicle
$60 for a Grand Teton Annual Pass (valid one year)
$15 for a 7-day pass to only Grand Teton by foot/bicycle
$20 for a 7-day pass to both Grand Teton & Yellowstone by foot/bicycle
$25 for a 7-day pass to only Grand Teton by motorcycle
$40 for a 7-day pass to both Grand Teton & Yellowstone by motorcycle
$80 for an Interagency annual pass to all federal fee areas (valid one year)