Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I expect the big parks to be crowded, and they were. When I want an isolated very personal experience I tent camp and hike. One day ay Yellowstone I wondered off of the boardwalk at Mammoth and had a great time. I ran into a Park Ranger way out in the middle of nowhere and he just told me to be cautious and respectful of the wildlife. I had on my GPS and I walked 12 miles that day and it was the best day at the park. If you go to these parks in the middle of the summer you gotta expect BIG crowds of tourists. Be inventive and resourceful if you want to personalize your experience.

We have Mt Rainier and Olympic in our backyard and have used them extensively for a lifetime. With these parks we know when to go, where to go and how to use the back country respectfully and safely. I have summitted Mt Rainier 4 times and have climbed extensively in the Olympics and along the coast. Knowing a park and the surrounding area is the best way to have a satisfying stay but you can't always do that.

Tourists (all of us really) are here to stay. Enjoy the wonderful things you experience when you visit. Only you can make your trip enjoyable and fulfilling......... And Holly, I'll see you in a couple of weeks. In a huge crowd.

Adios
Dan
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #162
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
I expect the big parks to be crowded, and they were. When I want an isolated very personal experience I tent camp and hike. One day ay Yellowstone I wondered off of the boardwalk at Mammoth and had a great time. I ran into a Park Ranger way out in the middle of nowhere and he just told me to be cautious and respectful of the wildlife. I had on my GPS and I walked 12 miles that day and it was the best day at the park. If you go to these parks in the middle of the summer you gotta expect BIG crowds of tourists. Be inventive and resourceful if you want to personalize your experience.

We have Mt Rainier and Olympic in our backyard and have used them extensively for a lifetime. With these parks we know when to go, where to go and how to use the back country respectfully and safely. I have summitted Mt Rainier 4 times and have climbed extensively in the Olympics and along the coast. Knowing a park and the surrounding area is the best way to have a satisfying stay but you can't always do that.

Tourists (all of us really) are here to stay. Enjoy the wonderful things you experience when you visit. Only you can make your trip enjoyable and fulfilling......... And Holly, I'll see you in a couple of weeks. In a huge crowd.

Adios
Dan
Yes indeedy,huge,dusty,hot and packed in like sardines. I can hardly wait LOL!
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:

Adios
Dan
Agreed. Grew up there and. Limbed all the mountains out there. We can drive 20 min and be at 10,000 ft in the woods. But its fun for the kids to see new places. We will camp south of Yellowstone without hook up for four days. And love it. I don't mind the drive into the park. Good time for the kids to take a nap.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
The problem is that there is just enough coverage to be annoying, and not enough to actually work.... Take it all away or make it work
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc
The problem is that there is just enough coverage to be annoying, and not enough to actually work.... Take it all away or make it work
Question is? Is AT&t better or Verizion?

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman

Question is? Is AT&t better or Verizion?
I have VZ for the cell ph and AT&T for the Ipad, neither worked well until I got to the Signal MT Lodge at Grand Tetons. (No I really do ot work for them).
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We have T-Mobile which morphed into AT&T and quit working except cell after a few days. I saw one tower in one of the parks where an attempt to disguise it as a tree was obvious and hideous.

I have to say, I missed not having the internet. I wouldn't have admitted that even a couple of years ago and the truth hurts.....But, the internet and all it encompasses is sometimes a welcome diversion. I think the cell towers and all of the money making lodges, campgrounds, gas stations etc, are here to stay. Either that or user fees are going to go thru the roof.

As I've said before, the experience is what you make of it. Be adventurous, take that FS road, walk off of the wooden paths, get out of your car, walk, hike, climb. The crowds will melt away. The parts of Mammoth Hot Springs I saw off of the boardwalk were incredible. I was initially looking for a place to take a dip and as usual had to see what was beyond the next basin. I didn't see another person for over three hours.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mid Season Blues

I have to admit I am just getting over the mid-season blues.

Sometimes it is hard to remember that the vast majority of our visitors are wonderful folks who, though dazzled by what they see and experience, remember to treat the wildlife and the park with care and respect. After all, most are part owners.

You hit a wall about now after seeing so many people 25 feet from 2000 pounds of bull bison -- while holding their toddler in their arms. Or the folks who feel obligated to throw coins into the hot springs. Or the folks who show up at 5:00 PM on a July weekend with a 40 foot class A and curse you out because you can't knit them a full hook up site.

I promise to focus on the good and get off my soapbox.

All of you, please come here. Especially in June when the critters are everywhere but the crowds are thin and in September when the weather is wonderful and the park "sighs" in anticipation of winter -- it can be quiet and awe inspiring. 275+ waterfalls, 1000 miles of trails, half of the world's geysers, thousands of Elk and Bison and Pronghorn. Grizzlies... Wilcoxson's ice cream.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #169
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I second the ice cream.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #170
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Our AT&T (Bell Canada, actually) cell phone worked at the inn and visitor center at Old Faithful, but nowhere else that we visited in the park.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
N2916s,

What months have overnight lows below freezing and/or have hazardous (ice/snow covered) road conditions? We would like to come and see some winter weather, but don't want to get snowed in or be driving on really bad roads. We have camped in subfreezing weather where our water lines froze and know that our Bambi is good down to about 12 degrees F. Would prefer to avoid temperatures like this.

Thanks.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
N2916s,

What months have overnight lows below freezing and/or have hazardous (ice/snow covered) road conditions? We would like to come and see some winter weather, but don't want to get snowed in or be driving on really bad roads. We have camped in subfreezing weather where our water lines froze and know that our Bambi is good down to about 12 degrees F. Would prefer to avoid temperatures like this.

Thanks.
We are going over labor day weekend. About 5 years ago it got down to 36 degrees one night over the same weekend So make sure your batteries are charge and the furnace works .

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Jason, speaking of ice cream. Do you remember Tillamook? Now thats ice cream.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It can get below freezing up in the heart of the park (roughly 7800' above sea level) pretty much any time. We saw 10f in May and probably will again before we leave at the end of September.

Pretty good chance the roads will be in good condition until about mid-October but you can't count on it. In the Spring, the roads are cleared as soon as feasible -- usually by the second week of May. You can always get into Mammoth Hot Springs at the Northwest corner of the park as they keep the road open all year from Mammoth to the Northeast Gate (Cooke City).

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #175
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I have to admit I am just getting over the mid-season blues.

Sometimes it is hard to remember that the vast majority of our visitors are wonderful folks who, though dazzled by what they see and experience, remember to treat the wildlife and the park with care and respect. After all, most are part owners.

You hit a wall about now after seeing so many people 25 feet from 2000 pounds of bull bison -- while holding their toddler in their arms. Or the folks who feel obligated to throw coins into the hot springs. Or the folks who show up at 5:00 PM on a July weekend with a 40 foot class A and curse you out because you can't knit them a full hook up site.

I promise to focus on the good and get off my soapbox.

All of you, please come here. Especially in June when the critters are everywhere but the crowds are thin and in September when the weather is wonderful and the park "sighs" in anticipation of winter -- it can be quiet and awe inspiring. 275+ waterfalls, 1000 miles of trails, half of the world's geysers, thousands of Elk and Bison and Pronghorn. Grizzlies... Wilcoxson's ice cream.

mike
Hey, Mike. I wish the tourists were more senitive and sensible. But at least most of these visitors will be paying taxes to help keep YNP afloat.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Jason, speaking of ice cream. Do you remember Tillamook? Now thats ice cream.

Adios,
Dan
Oh yea, we stopped there and got some cheese and blackberry ice cream. The kicker was it was $5 more at the Tillamook factory than at my local grocery store. Best cheese was down the road at the French cheese factory. Plus they have a petting zoo for the kids.

Hey Yellowstone has a petting zoo too. The only thing is, the bison think its a smashing zoo for them stupid tourist. i watched a guy bring his kids down the road to see a bear in colter bay a few years ago. Then got a laugh as the park ranger put him in his place in front of his kids. Some people.

As soon as I saw it I put my kids in the trailer, and banged a pot to keep it away from my site.

I spooked a bear in BC once and it charged. Luckily it turn and ran off 15 feet in front of from me. . ( false charge and a young black bear ) Unluckily I was then a pair of underwear short for the rest of the trip. After that i carried a bear bell and give any animal i saw a pretty wide path. Even chip monks for a few days .

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We're at Signal Mt. Lodge to check email, etc., but our camp is way down at Gros Ventre. It's fine. No hookups for the four days we're there.

We've been exploring the park daytime, and enjoying our quiet campsite other times.

There's one more Airstream in Gros Ventre and we went to visit. Nice couple from southern California. Saw two others in the park while driving around.

We'll be leaving Monday and going to Rustic Wagon RV park in West Yellowstone while we charge the batteries, etc. Hopefully we can get a spot at Mammoth after that.

Headed back to no-contact camp after a superb meal at Signal Mt's Terrace Grill.

They closed Phelps Lake campground here in Teton today. Ranger told me it was due to black bear problem! In his words, "naughty black bear" in Phelps Lake CG. Lol

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #178
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Purman, we do hike with bear bells. But you are probably familiar with their nickname in bear country.

Dinner bells.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne
Purman, we do hike with bear bells. But you are probably familiar with their nickname in bear country.

Dinner bells.
Yep large can of pepper spray is the best. I saw someone with a gun in the backcountry on Colorado once when fly fishing. I had my pepper spay. He asked why I didn't have a gun. I said it works better than a gun. Don't have to be a perfect shot under pressure. He kinda liked the idea.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #180
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
See the attached warning for all you bell wearers and pepper spray users. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1759617939.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	165522  
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote