Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
BTW, I am Law Chicks husband to those who don't know.
A bad day on the road is better than a good day on the job - but it's still bad !!!
REBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Does anyone know the condition of I-90 between Sioux Falls & Buffalo? Planning to cross over to Badlands and then on to close to Yellowstone on I 90 unless we hear its not good.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #83

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick
Does anyone know the condition of I-90 between Sioux Falls & Buffalo? Planning to cross over to Badlands and then on to close to Yellowstone on I 90 unless we hear its not good.
I heard that there was a truck overturned and it's cargo fell out...Bears and Snakes all over I90. be safe and miss y'all
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Brad! You bad thing! And you know better than to mention bears and snakes in this nuthouse!
See you in October at AIR Midwest.

Reba McEntire

Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I mentioned the Golden Age passport - you must already know its good for free entry and half-price on camp fees in the national parks and federal sites. Was on I-90 from Rapid City to Buffalo then north to Billings and Missoula two weeks ago - except for an occasional "one lane closed ahead" for a bridge repair or two, no major construction. From there on to Cody (if you are going that way) you'll have to check locally. Or, if on to Jackson, for the Tetons and then up to Yellowstone, roads are good but check for what might be going on now.

If you'd rather the interstate, you can go up to Billings and south from Livingston on I-90 to Mammoth in Yellowstone. We were there last weekend and had plenty of choices in the Mammoth campground and it didn't fill either night. There are more campgrounds, by the way, than just the ones you can reserve on the Xanterra website (the concessioner for the NPS); the NPS still operates campgrounds that are first-come, etc.

There's a whole 'nother thread on the forum for Yellowstone to Glacier, and routes and such. Hope that helps!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Work at Grant Village in YNP. Still in peak summer mode -- pretty much every campsite is full every night. Lots of folks are trying their luck dry camping in out of the way places or in the scenic pull-outs. Some get away with it but others are receiving citations. After mid-August, things will loosen up and it shouldn't be too hard to find a campsite. Lots of Harley's cruising through on their way to Sturgis -- nice folks but loud, chases the wildlife away from the roads.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #87

montrose , Colorado
The campgrounds in the National Parks, Yellowstone particularly, can be very restrictive and very booked up this time of year. Toward the end of the month, when school starts back, thing should loosen up some. I would advise calling ahead (or email) and ask about availability.
You may consider state parks, and particularly National Forest Campgrounds. If you make it to Idaho (and you should), there are a couple of Forest Service (National Forest ) Campgrounds in the Lowman area which have hot springs adjacent. Those are great. John Day, OR area is nice, too.
You may be able to get a "Camp Host" gig if you want a free place to stay in exchange for a bit of work. Check by the ranger stations on the National Forests.
When I was at Lowman last year, they were needing hosts for the month of July at one of the hot springs sites. That would be a good gig for a few weeks.
If you get to Colorado and need info, give a yell.
swampfoxcws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Check the schedule for the motorcycle event at Sturgis SD. It is sometime in early August. We were caught in the end of the event traffic on I-90 across SD a few years back. I will never travel near Sturgis again during bike week(s).
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
That Sturgis! Ray sold his big cruiser a year or so ago, so he's not so wild about Sturgis as he would have been. As for me- our luck we'd be up here while they are
We'll probably find a neat out of the way place somewhere and hide out till its over and all the munchkins' parents start thinking back to school. We're in no hurry at all.
Thanks everyone so far. We're definitely listening.

Question: We were planning to go in through Cody, but that puts us way north of Teton. Is there a good road we could go SW off 90 at some point and start thru the Tetons before Yellowstone? After we go through Badlands?

Also, once we go in from south, can our rig handle the roads inside the parks until we find a place to drop it? Plan is to drop it somewhere & explore in our TV.

One more thing, anyone have experience with doggie day care or kennels in/around the parks? We may even board mr. Teddy a few days & could take him further north, come back to park, then pick him up as we leave. Maybe not possible. But we need doggie day care for sure!

Thanks, y'all. You never let us down!

Reba McEntire

Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV

Anything in that area, with full hookups, is gonna be 'pricy'...

Just a few weeks back we paid $117+tax for 2 nights in Jackson at the KOA. It was well run but no way is the campground considered (by us) a premimum destination...

We actually enjoyed the Tetons more than Yellowstone...we saw Moose, elk, grizzly/cubs, bison...we didn't see anything in yellowstone!

If you don't mind getting dusty, check out the forest service roads between Coulter bay and the Teton ranger check in station. Pacific Creek Rd runs all the way into the National Forest and has some great spots to access the stream.
Boy do I agree, we are at Tetons now having left Yellowstone after one day. Saw it all in 12 hours, but the traffic was brutal. Stayed at Grand Lake in Yellowstone $28, with 2 showers per day. Someone we met today said Pebble something is much better, most of the campgrounds there were hideous. We are at Signal Mt on Jackson lake and it is fantastic, limited to under 30ft, $20.50, no showers. We are in the generator free loop, super quiet and private.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxcws
The campgrounds in the National Parks, Yellowstone particularly, can be very restrictive and very booked up this time of year. Toward the end of the month, when school starts back, thing should loosen up some. I would advise calling ahead (or email) and ask about availability.
You may consider state parks, and particularly National Forest Campgrounds. If you make it to Idaho (and you should), there are a couple of Forest Service (National Forest ) Campgrounds in the Lowman area which have hot springs adjacent. Those are great. John Day, OR area is nice, too.
You may be able to get a "Camp Host" gig if you want a free place to stay in exchange for a bit of work. Check by the ranger stations on the National Forests.
When I was at Lowman last year, they were needing hosts for the month of July at one of the hot springs sites. That would be a good gig for a few weeks.
If you get to Colorado and need info, give a yell.
You can also camp here in the Tetons and drive the 10-20 miles up to Yellowstone.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Work at Grant Village in YNP. Still in peak summer mode -- pretty much every campsite is full every night. Lots of folks are trying their luck dry camping in out of the way places or in the scenic pull-outs. Some get away with it but others are receiving citations. After mid-August, things will loosen up and it shouldn't be too hard to find a campsite. Lots of Harley's cruising through on their way to Sturgis -- nice folks but loud, chases the wildlife away from the roads.

Mike
We were able to reserve 3 nts in advance at Grant last week, the entire park was booked when we arrived.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o
I mentioned the Golden Age passport - you must already know its good for free entry and half-price on camp fees in the national parks and federal sites. Was on I-90 from Rapid City to Buffalo then north to Billings and Missoula two weeks ago - except for an occasional "one lane closed ahead" for a bridge repair or two, no major construction. From there on to Cody (if you are going that way) you'll have to check locally. Or, if on to Jackson, for the Tetons and then up to Yellowstone, roads are good but check for what might be going on now.

If you'd rather the interstate, you can go up to Billings and south from Livingston on I-90 to Mammoth in Yellowstone. We were there last weekend and had plenty of choices in the Mammoth campground and it didn't fill either night. There are more campgrounds, by the way, than just the ones you can reserve on the Xanterra website (the concessioner for the NPS); the NPS still operates campgrounds that are first-come, etc.

There's a whole 'nother thread on the forum for Yellowstone to Glacier, and routes and such. Hope that helps!
Keep in mind you can enter Tetons from Yellowstone for free.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Drove through the park today. Pulled through the Roosevelt gat at about 6am, and the drive down to Old Faithful was very pleasant. As was Old Faithful..... until the sun came out and I melted. Did a quick drive through Bridge Bay and saw an AS in there on loop C, then another drive though Noris and saw another AS.... But no one home at either.

Me and the wife where in the park for 7 hours and only got out of the car at Old Faithful for a canon photography class. Not sure how u see the hole park in 12 hours. Either way, our family reunion starts on Friday at Bridge Bay, so I guess I'm next on the Yellowstone ride. My one hope is that it rains, so I feel more at home, and everyone else will just stay inside.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #95
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Really want to plan a trip to Yellowstone in September. What kind of crowd would I find around the third week of September? I don't want to do this if it's going to be bumper to bumper. Anyone give me their experience for a visit this time of the year??
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Well for starters, school being in session will take care of many of the campers.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
BAB, we'll be in Grant Village Sept 18-21. We have reservations - only a couple of the campgrounds in the park are still open that late in the season, and Grant closes a couple of days after our stay. Looking at the on-line reservations Xanterra site, it looks like there's plenty of room. Make sure you know the overall length of your trailer and TV before you call - you'll need it to be assigned a site. The crowds must be gone, because many activities, such as trail rides, have ended for the season.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We're at Mitchell, SD tonight at a campground where our Passport America got us a nice rate. Getting worried - there are motorcycles everywhere! Trucks pulling trailers full of bikes, mohos pulling bikes, people riding bikes with the mommas driving the rig! Heavenly days .

Guy next door said they had to leave their campground in Rapid City before they wanted area cause it's all booked up from now through Sturgis!

Whew. We'll be lucky to get a place on Walmart parking lot by tomorrow!

Oh well, adventure!

Reba McEntire

Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Rapid City and headed to Yellowstone, hummm...don't ignore a little green spot on the map called Bighorn National Forest...it's really steep. Not that its a bad thing...it's just a whole bunch of UP...followed by a huge amount of DOWN...followed by the entrance to Yellowstone, where at times, its closer to the other side of the canyon than it is to the BOTTOM of the canyon...

oops...I hope I didn't freak ya out...

save the freak out for the ride...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #100
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
We stayed last week for a night at a lodge on top of the Big Horn National Forest. Water and Electric for $15.00 / night. Pull Through to boot!! A lot of guys there on 4 wheelers. Not a bad drive to Yellowstone from there. We are currently in Missoula and will be heading to Glacier on Monday. Then off to Seattle!!
KrazyKelleys is offline   Reply With Quote