Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
We did have lots of mosquitoes in Yellowstone - they were thick in clouds at the edge of Yellowstone lake and at higher elevation streams and meadows. We stayed at Bridge Bay and they were moderately bad there. They were horrible at the end of the Fairy Falls trail - we hiked to Imperial Geyser about 1/2 mile past the falls and got eaten alive. On the other hand, we hiked into the junction of hellroaring creek and the yellowstone river and only had bugs at the start of the trail.

We averaged six to ten miles of hiking per day - the rangers told us that 95% of the people who come to yellowstone never get further than 1/4 mile from the main roads. That's pretty depressing as we found some amazing hikes.

Bugs were not nearly as bad in the Tetons - we camped at Coulter Bay and had minimal bugs, and also didn't see too many on the trails - we spend a lot of time hiking around Jenny Lake and in Cascade Canyon.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
The saying in Montana is that bad cell service and the 'skeets keep the riff-raff out!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Spent yesterday, all day hiking around the Mammoth Hot Springs. I know there's not that many walkways but I wondered and at the end of the day I had 12+ miles on my GPS. What a beautiful, kind of harsh place. We got a space in the Mammoth Campgrounds and boondocked last night.I thought it would be full but Sunday afternoon we had our pick. Two hours later it was full though.

Internet and cell service is very spotty in Montana. Thats OK.

Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had no reservations and had no problem mid afternoon on any day finding two spots in the first come, first serve campgrounds. Made for very easy travel.

Maggie
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Hook ups at fishing bridge

Anyone out there been to Fishing bridge campground at YS. Do they have any hook ups water electric?
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Fishing bridge has full hookups, all back in spots, and you will likely find yourself squeezed like a sardine in between two giant RVs with slide-outs almost touching the sides of your trailer. The shower facilities were also quite muddy when we visited last week.

It was not hot enough during the day to need the AC which is the only reason I would think about needing hookups in the park.

The campgrounds are much much nicer. Grizzly and KOA RV Parks just outside the west entrance are also both nice - but the KOA is a bit over-run and also offers little privacy (but more than fishing bridge)

- Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Thanks for all the info - we're planning a trip to YNP and the Tetons in September. We have a reservation at the Grant Village campground starting on 9/18 - it closes on 9/23 for the season. We were going to stay at Madison, but wanted the amenities of being close to the restaurant, etc in Grant. First time there - this is going to be great.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
We stayed at the Coulter Bay campground in the Teton National Park for three days last week. It was about a two hour drive from the Bridge Bay campground in Yellowstone. I thought it was a lot nicer than the RV park at Coulter Bay - we also had a lot more privacy.

No reservations were required - we got there around noon and there were still a ton of open spots.

My kids really liked the tetons - lots of hiking and fishing and just plain swimming in the lake - so more like an active vacation place. Yellowstone was more about looking at animals and volcanic features - we still did lots of hiking in Yellowstone, but we had better warmer weather and many fewer mosquitoes in the Tetons - presumably due to the altitude.

Here's an obligatory airstream in front of the Tetons picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	336008_10150951399139615_112896191_o.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	163336  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #69
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
Fishing bridge has full hookups, all back in spots, and you will likely find yourself squeezed like a sardine in between two giant RVs with slide-outs almost touching the sides of your trailer. The shower facilities were also quite muddy when we visited last week.

It was not hot enough during the day to need the AC which is the only reason I would think about needing hookups in the park.

The campgrounds are much much nicer. Grizzly and KOA RV Parks just outside the west entrance are also both nice - but the KOA is a bit over-run and also offers little privacy (but more than fishing bridge)

- Dan
I agree! We've stayed at both Grant Village and Bay Bridge, where you can get reservations. We thought both are fine, although no hook-ups. We rendezvoused with some friends at Bay Bridge on our last visit, and they didn't like their sites at all, though, because for some strange reason many of the sites are not level, even though they are recently paved.

We visited Fishing Bridge just to see what it was like, and the RVs were packed in so tightly we had no desire to actually stay there. If your neighbours have slide-outs, they are practically inside your RV.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #70
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Anyone stay at the Headstream at Flagg Ranch? It is a bit pricy but seems convenient to the gRand Tetons and Yellowstone. Plus they have full hook ups ( a requirement for me , the wife and 4 daughters). We are scheduled to stay there from July 25-30 of this year. Hope I didn't make a mistake by booking it. Any feedback?
KrazyKelleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKelleys View Post
Anyone stay at the Headstream at Flagg Ranch? It is a bit pricy but seems convenient to the gRand Tetons and Yellowstone. Plus they have full hook ups ( a requirement for me , the wife and 4 daughters). We are scheduled to stay there from July 25-30 of this year. Hope I didn't make a mistake by booking it. Any feedback?
Anything in that area, with full hookups, is gonna be 'pricy'...

Just a few weeks back we paid $117+tax for 2 nights in Jackson at the KOA. It was well run but no way is the campground considered (by us) a premimum destination...

We actually enjoyed the Tetons more than Yellowstone...we saw Moose, elk, grizzly/cubs, bison...we didn't see anything in yellowstone!

If you don't mind getting dusty, check out the forest service roads between Coulter bay and the Teton ranger check in station. Pacific Creek Rd runs all the way into the National Forest and has some great spots to access the stream.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We're heading out to YNP, GTNP, Glacier and further west then returning home via Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc. Any suggestions, should haves, or roads NOT to take. Heading straight north to start to get out of the triple digit heat here. 80's are wonderful compared to what we have for the foreseeable future here. Looking for advice since this is our first trip out west with trailer.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
We're heading out to YNP, GTNP, Glacier and further west then returning home via Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc. Any suggestions, should haves, or roads NOT to take. Heading straight north to start to get out of the triple digit heat here. 80's are wonderful compared to what we have for the foreseeable future here. Looking for advice since this is our first trip out west with trailer.
Sounds like a wonderful trip. We just returned from Yellowstone. Have been to any of these parks in the past?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Have not been to any of these NP's

Reba McEntire

Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Have not been to any of these NP's
I have to each except Glacier. It's on my bucket list. Yellowstone is by far my favorite. You will need a week at Yellowstone to make a decent dent in all there is to see.

Do you have reservations in the parks or traveling without a schedule?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glacier is the most beautiful and spectacular national park we have ever been to, but we love mountains and water.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We have no schedule, so haven't made any reservations. Once we know when we'll be there we might try making a reservation - tho' at this time of year we may just try showing up and hope for the best.

Reba McEntire

Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Carol,

I don't know if you qualify for a Golden Age passport or not, but if not, think about buying an "annual" park pass at the very first national park site (not the first "park" but any national park service area) you come to -- entry into all those parks will pay for itself about half way through your trip. Grand Tetons-Yellowstone is $25 - Yosemite and Glacier are $20 each, etc. - and that gives you entry into smaller places along the way like Little Bighorn Battlefield (if you go that way) or even national park "sites" as small as something like Arkansas Post or Buffalo National River that charge a fee.

If you have more of a specific route you're planning I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on musts and must-nots.
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Carol if you really want to go west don't forget Ranier and Olympic NPs. If you get that far stop and say Hi.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I have a Golden Age Passport along with memberships in Passport America, Escapees and Good Sams. We have plans to see the following National Parks: Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton, Olympic, Ranier, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, De Chelly, etc. Since we are retired, we have no set time schedule and can go and do as we like.
A bad day on the road is better than a good day on the job - but it's still bad !!!
REBurt is offline   Reply With Quote