3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick
Thanks everyone!
I was trying to put some photos in to share and lost my whole message. Grrrrrr
Tomorrow we leave Mitchell, SD where we've been hanging out on the side of I-90 while doing shopping, seeing a quirky little thing called "Corn Palace," which was really pretty cool, and preparing to move on. This campground is kind of like a Walmart parking lot with hookups, but it was cheap with Passport. (R & R CG) It's behind a motel, but the people are super nice and it suited our needs.

We are reserved for two nights - tomorrow and Friday - at Badlands Ranch and RV Resort near Interior SD. Hope it's good. Using it for a base to see Badlands.

Holly, I'm so glad to hear Custer State Park is good. We are in there for Saturday and Sunday while we see Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Ray thinks we should. I guess it's obligatory since we're in the area. We could only get the two nights, and it is in Game Lodge campground there. We were happy to get anything with Sturgis starting Monday.

We don't do much more than 200 or so miles a day before stopping for a couple of nights at least. Our dog is old, too, and needs to rest up after every trip since he's not a great traveler.

After Custer SP we'll start heading further west. It's 364 miles from Custer to Cody, so I know we won't do that in one day, especially with great scenery! I've been looking at the roads around Big Horn...but we're going in! LOL So, I appreciate the information about betwixt and between. At the rate we move, we may end up being around YS in September! But we hope to make it up to Glacier before it gets too late in the season. I'm excited about Grand Teton, too.

Had a rainstorm this afternoon. The wind blew gale force. Of course, the AS didn't care. The rain was wonderful, and there was a big ole rainbow afterwards. I'll post photos when I figure out how. I have a new computer we bought in Sioux Falls, too, so I'm doubly challenged.

Thanks so much! What would we do without the forum?
If tnere is anyway to get more time in Custer I would, it is more interesting than the Badlands. The Center Lake campground is really nice and nearby is a playhouse which has a real hit this yeat, the drunken chaperone. My, friends came from Raoid City to see it as it is getting such good reviews. CRAZY HORSE for sure, spend a couple of hours there, well worth it, fascinating story. Rushmore you can see from the road and save the fee. Funny after seeing it I figured it was a slap in the face to Native Americans and did a google search after, the consider it like carving Hitler's face into a sacred mountain. I oosted the article on my Facebook page, if you want to friend me there you will find it, just search FB for HollyHunter or use my email "theotherhollyhunter@gmail.com". On your way to Cody consider overnighting at the free spot I described in Shell City, it was really special.

hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I stayed in a camp ground just south of the south entrance. It only can find flag ranch. Could this have been it or is there another one. ? Want to head thee for labor day.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Flagg ranch is it....stayed there year before last. Lots of dust, kids, and noise and LOTS of mosquitos. Never again. Go farther south and get something in Tetons. Coulter Bay is great, although the spots are close together.

And there is always space to camp in the Tetons if you are willing to dry camp.

-Dwight
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc
Flagg ranch is it....stayed there year before last. Lots of dust, kids, and noise and LOTS of mosquitos. Never again. Go farther south and get something in Tetons. Coulter Bay is great, although the spots are close together.

And there is always space to camp in the Tetons if you are willing to dry camp.

-Dwight
We are sadly just pulling out of Signal Mountain Campground in the Grand Tetons, way better than Coulter Bay (showers at $3.75 each) and much nicer than any campgrounds in Yellowstone. 2 things, it is first come first serve so get here early, no later than 10am, less than 30ft, no hook up sites are $20.50, all bathrooms are nearby, but no showers, one site has hookups but is $55. 2 loops are for those with generators and one loop without. The lakeside lodge has awesome food at good, reasonable prices, dinner last night was Cobb Salad with smoked trout and an order of Tacos for $30...hubby had a beer I think, we left food behind there was so much. They have free coffee and wifi in the lobby of the reception building with a game room, TV and computers. Convienence store, gas station, dock, marina and gift shop...but very low key, not crowded and magnificent views over the lake of the Tetons. Very centrally located for hiking, fishing and boating. I LOVE THIS PLACE!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Signal mountain sounds good. Anyone stayed at lizard creek? I have only ever stayed a colter bay.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #118

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Signal mountain sounds good. Anyone stayed at lizard creek? I have only ever stayed a colter bay.
We drove thru Lizard creek I believe. It's just north of Colter Bay, right? The sites were much more private but most were pretty small.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
We drove thru Lizard creek I believe. It's just north of Colter Bay, right? The sites were much more private but most were pretty small.
We checked out the Lizard Camp and found it depressing, no ammenities at all. Signal Mt is only 17 more miles south into the park.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I was too long in my 37' Class A for signal mountain, looking forward to the day I have a towable that fits
Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Wave if you see us..

We are at Bismark Lake Campground this evening.. NFS site sort of in Custer State Park. Pricey at $26 a night.

Tomorrow we are going to try and hit a cave and then onto Casper. Tetons and Yellowstone later in the week. Just now looking at spots to stay. We like to fly by the seat of our pants.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah
Wave if you see us..

We are at Bismark Lake Campground this evening.. NFS site sort of in Custer State Park. Pricey at $26 a night.

Tomorrow we are going to try and hit a cave and then onto Casper. Tetons and Yellowstone later in the week. Just now looking at spots to stay. We like to fly by the seat of our pants.
lLink below is probably where we should have stayed in Yellowstone, but we arrived late and needed to get a reservation ahead (3days prior). http://www.parkcamper.com/Yellowston...Campground.htm
We were at Center Lake, super crowded, but central. Signal Mt for sure at Tetons. Both places are 1st come, get there by 9 or 10a. We are nearly always seat of the pants and spent last night at Walmart outside of Salt Lake city in Ogden as everything was full and what wasn't was a poor value. Another great night's sleep I must say.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Here is what I don't understand about Yellowstone. They could have a Great rv park in the woods with electric and water but don't. With say 200-300 sites. But no, They have a great big parking lot with you stacked in like cans. Or you have smaller camp grounds with no hook ups what so ever??? Which I don't mind, but are of on the outskirts.

Who is in charge of this place? Oh that's right. The Feds.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
Here is what I don't understand about Yellowstone. They could have a Great rv park in the woods with electric and water but don't. With say 200-300 sites. But no, They have a great big parking lot with you stacked in like cans. Or you have smaller camp grounds with no hook ups what so ever??? Which I don't mind, but are of on the outskirts.

Who is in charge of this place? Oh that's right. The Feds.
YEP, like everything they manage. Too bad, it doesn't represent us well for the millions of foreigners at the park, most of whom were there with us last week.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. One of these years we plan to go back out West and if I can locate this thread again, this information will prove invaluable! We Easterners just don't have all the knowledge that those of you who are from out there or have been out there before have. Thanks again. (My DH isn't due to retire for another five years or so, but we're hoping we can fanagle to get a three-week vacation before that, but that's difficult to do, normally just two weeks at a time is the most he can take off.)

The last time we camped "out West" was in 1990 back when we first got into camping and had a pop-up tent camper. Our children are adopted and we picked up our daughter's younger sister in Indiana to take her along, and met their oldest sister and her new family in Colorado and camped around for a week together so the girls could have time together again (four years after the missionaries split them up). Anyway, we all loved it out there!! Did trout fishing, went 1,000 ft. down into an old mine (which I'd never do again!, I cried all the way down and back up -- claustrophobic, b-i-g time!), and many other great things.

Those of us who aren't able to get out there now are living it vicariously through your adventures................please keep posting!!

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. One of these years we plan to go back out West and if I can locate this thread again, this information will prove invaluable! We Easterners just don't have all the knowledge that those of you who are from out there or have been out there before have. Thanks again. (My DH isn't due to retire for another five years or so, but we're hoping we can fanagle to get a three-week vacation before that, but that's difficult to do, normally just two weeks at a time is the most he can take off.)

The last time we camped "out West" was in 1990 back when we first got into camping and had a pop-up tent camper. Our children are adopted and we picked up our daughter's younger sister in Indiana to take her along, and met their oldest sister and her new family in Colorado and camped around for a week together so the girls could have time together again (four years after the missionaries split them up). Anyway, we all loved it out there!! Did trout fishing, went 1,000 ft. down into an old mine (which I'd never do again!, I cried all the way down and back up -- claustrophobic, b-i-g time!), and many other great things.

Those of us who aren't able to get out there now are living it vicariously through your adventures................please keep posting!!

Thanks again.

Deb
So empathize, we are from Maine originally and finally are retired enough for this experience. Will keep you posted.