Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Like "Quiltbike" above, we stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA. It was a great place to stay. A little more "pricy" than we normally pay. (we normally stay at State or national Parks.) However, it was well worth the higher price! Very enjoyable!

jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #44

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We are currently in Jackson WY and will head north in the morning, Probably to Colter Bay. After that the current plan is to haul north thru Yellowstone to ?

If ya see us, wave!

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We're leaving on the 9th of July and will be in West Yellowstone from the 11th thru the 16th. We're staying at the Rustic Wheel RV Park to start then we'll see how space in the park looks. Then we're headed to Glacier with maybe a side trip to the Tetons. I'm looking at the weather. It looks like we'll need some blankets at night.

Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I was at Rustic Wagon at the beginning of the month and we got dusted with snow 2 nights. Campground is fine. Sites are level and on gravel with big coniferous trees in between. The campground is small so you shouldn't have hundreds of people around you. The proprietor is talkative and friendly. Tetons are a must see. If for no other reason just to get a picture of them with your Airstream in the foreground.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Just got back after a week in Colter Bay...the skeeter count seemed unusually high. I assume its because the weather jumped 20 degrees from monday to wednesday...high was in the 80's
Old 06-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We are on our way back home to Tennessee after 8 days at Grant Village Campground in Yellowstone. This was our third trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We had a wonderful time and we are ready to go again as soon as possible. We really like Grant Village campground. Madison is equally great but there are no showers or support facilities (supplies) local to Madison.

Most nights the temps were in high 30's to low 40's, with a few exceptions. Day time highs varied from high 60's to 80. Mosquitos were fairly dense as compared to previous trips to Yellowstone. Insect repellent worked well. It was a excellent trip. Crowds were not as large as we experienced in previous trips with the exception of the weekend.

For those of you familiar with the Grant Village campground showers, the quarter machines with the timers are no longer functioning. You get two free showers per day for your campsite. When your free showers are used up you pay $3.45 per shower. The problem is that there are 12 showers with no time limit. The youngsters often would tie up the showers for extended periods which resulted in long lines for the showers. It is obvious that a new process will need to be established for the Grant Village showers. The campground opened on June 21. The shower process was progressively worse each day.

The camper check-in process at Grant Village was extremely slow. Get ready to be patient when you check-in at Grant Village campground.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Blankets--Yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
We're leaving on the 9th of July and will be in West Yellowstone from the 11th thru the 16th. We're staying at the Rustic Wheel RV Park to start then we'll see how space in the park looks. Then we're headed to Glacier with maybe a side trip to the Tetons. I'm looking at the weather. It looks like we'll need some blankets at night.

Dan
Dan, we live in Idaho Falls--about 1.5 hrs from YNP so we make day trips--and yes, you will need blankets and winter jackets if you plan to sit around the campfire in the evening. It's high and cold, but so beautiful! Hope you enjoy it!

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
This info has been so helpful. Thank you all for posting. We will be in Cody tomorrow for the rodeo. On july 2 - 6 we are staying in Wapiti campground. Decided to stay put there for the holiday. Then, 6 - 10 we will be in Bridge Bay.
After that it,s either West Y. Or the Tetons. It,s nice to know that it,s cool at night, then we don,t need electric.

We are #1738 Bob & Lia. Wave when you see us.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I can't wait as the anticipation builds. We have decided to include the Tetons as part of our loop. So it's from Yellowstone to the Tetons and then Glacier. Any thoughts on this route. We are locked into Yellowstone by reservations but everything else is pretty mich open. We will be coming from Seattle.

Dan
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I gotta say...when planning last weeks trip, I was lukewarm over Teton. Having been to YNP two years earlier, I was anticipating a quick ” oh how pretty, look at those mountains”...then on to the real gem. Boy, was I wrong! YNP filled one day of our 10 day stay...it is so big, and we had already seen so much in the past that GT was VERY refreshing.I HIGHLY recommend two activities: The morning boat ride with breakfast out of Colter Bay...What a treat!!!!! And the big breakfast was awesome. And the morning 2 hour backcountry horse ride. This is fairly technical, so you dont feel like you are on a mindless follow the leader, horsey ride at a KOA. We never felt that our days were wasted in the car at Teton. Apparently, GTNP, although visited by fewer guests than YaNP, is number one for return visitors. I know Ill be going back! :-)
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #53

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes
I gotta say...when planning last weeks trip, I was lukewarm over Teton. Having been to YNP two years earlier, I was anticipating a quick ” oh how pretty, look at those mountains”...then on to the real gem. Boy, was I wrong! YNP filled one day of our 10 day stay...it is so big, and we had already seen so much in the past that GT was VERY refreshing.I HIGHLY recommend two activities: The morning boat ride with breakfast out of Colter Bay...What a treat!!!!! And the big breakfast was awesome. And the morning 2 hour backcountry horse ride. This is fairly technical, so you dont feel like you are on a mindless follow the leader, horsey ride at a KOA. We never felt that our days were wasted in the car at Teton. Apparently, GTNP, although visited by fewer guests than YaNP, is number one for return visitors. I know Ill be going back! :-)
We are on night #4 of our 2 nights planned in Colter Bay..,Yellowstone was a mess, we tried it yesterday and don't see a need to go back. Way too many people, I'd rather vacation at Walmart.

We have been going out into the National Forest and playing in the streams. Headed out to Kelly right now!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
I can't wait as the anticipation builds. We have decided to include the Tetons as part of our loop. So it's from Yellowstone to the Tetons and then Glacier. Any thoughts on this route. We are locked into Yellowstone by reservations but everything else is pretty mich open. We will be coming from Seattle.

Dan
All I gotta say is this...if you are planning your trip to Glacier out of North Yellowstone ala Gardiner on Hwy 95...Do not do it at night. The Elk this year are unbelievable along that route. More elk are collide with motorists on that stretch of 95 to Bozeman, than the entire rest of the US. Be carefull!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
We are headed to Yellowstone from the seattle area as well. This thread is so very informative, thanks for the elk update too. Anyone want to expand on the canoe situation in the park? This will be the first time we've taken the canoe out of the state, so I'm not sure what inspection is needed? Is it like a weigh station type thing or just an officer on the side of the freeway?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We're taking a kayak and have been told to expect to be inspected. Other than that I expect to have fun.

Dan