Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Were leaving on 7-9, to arrive at YS on the 11th. Leaving YS on the 16th for GNP staying until the 22nd. I've got my list. I've checked it twice.

1 Camper
2 Tow Vehicle
3 Kayak
4 Food
5 Beer
6 Wife

Dan

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Were leaving on 7-9, to arrive at YS on the 11th. Leaving YS on the 16th for GNP staying until the 22nd. I've got my list. I've checked it twice.

1 Camper
2 Tow Vehicle
3 Kayak
4 Food
5 Beer
6 Wife

Dan
Morning Dan,

Looking forward to a Trip report know you will enjoy the trip !

#7 Camera
#8 Spotting Scope
#9 Binoculars

John

Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Dan. Nice list. is that a list of priority items. Starting at the top ???? And working down to the expendibles ???

We plan to head to GNP and Yellowstone later on in August. Save some scenery for us will ya !!!!

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Roger, I was being irreverent with the priorities. I wouldn't have a good time without Michele.

Dan
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Some quick notes:see next post
Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Some quick notes: For the canoe/kayakers: Montana has lots of "boat inspection" stations this year for zebra mussel among others -- they consider a kayak or canoe a boat; don't just drive by, or you will meet Montana's finest. Stop at least at the first one and ask if you have to continue to do so at others. YNP to GNP depends on quick or scenic and east or west side. As said elsewhere, west quick way is via I-90 and Missoula north on 93. "Short" scenic is the "east side" highway on Flathead Lake from Polson (Mt 35) through Bigfork. Spectacular. Or longer scenic from Yellowstone, I-90 west toThree Forks, north to Townsend, Helena (Thompson Pass on 200/US12) then Ovando, Seeley Lake, Bigfork if you want to go west.

East, go via Helena and Great Falls then up through Choteau to east side of Glacier. Or quick north to Townsend/Helena then I-15 through Great Falls to Cut Bank and west on Hwy 2. A short cut to Many Glacier and Waterton is north from Browning on the Duck Lake Road - nice, wide shouldered two-lane through the country - takes at least an hour off the trip through St. Mary's. BUT, you miss St. Mary's! If going on to Banff, etc, you can loop east one way to/from Banff-Jasper on the east of the divide and west through Fernie-Radium Hot Springs on the west. Check your maps. All are spectacular. Remember, inside Glacier, you will have to drop the trailer at either Avalanche on the west side, or Sun Point on the east side, if you want to drive the Sun Road - the most beautiful road... in the world, some would argue. Don't forget to fold in your mirrors in both parks, if not towing, or the Rangers will speak with you. And, both parks are "exclusive federal jurisdiction" - the Rangers are the law. Ditto for all the "food storage" reg's if you are camping in Park campgrounds - citations will be given for even the most innocuous item if it is associated with food, such as an empty cooler or a cold camp-stove and not stored inside a vehicle.

For you September travelers. Bring your sweater. And your mittens. Think about your chains! Remember the BSA: Be Prepared.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Here are my thoughts on traveling from Yellowstone to Glacier.

If you exit Yellowstone from the north (Gardiner,MT) via 89, this is called the Paradise valley and is a very beautiful drive along the Yellowstone River. You will get on I 90 at Livingston. About 20 mi west of Bozeman.

If you Leave from the West(West Yellowstone) , follow the Madison river into Montana on 287. This is also an amazing scenic valley along the Madison river. You go through the small fishing town of Ennis. If you stay on 287 you get on I90 at Three Forks. You can save a few miles if you turn left on Hwy 2, just after you cross the iron bridge over the Jefferson river. Then take Hwy2 along the Jefferson until you reach I90 at Cardwell.

I usually don't take 191 out of West Yellowstone. That drive along the Gallatin River is mostly a canyon. The road is windy. It is also beautiful, but there are less vistas because of the windy canyon.

From 1 90, I would probably get on Hwy 93 west of Missoula. This takes you north throught the Mission Valley and along the shore of Flathead lake. Also extremely beautiful.

I like the Seeley Lake Swan river valley too, but if I had to pick one, I think you should do 93 through Mission Valley.

Be sure to give yourself time to stop and camp. The entire trip through Montana is an absolute wonderland.

I will try to attach photos. The photo with the yellow Cottonwood trees is the Yellowstone river in the Paradise Valley. The colorful sunset is the Madison river near Ennis.

This is the Mission Valley.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Montana Pictures

It seems my photos didn't make it into my above post. So I'll try again.

The image with the Yellow cottonwood trees is the Yellowstone river in the Paradise Valley. Along 89

The colorful sunset is the Madison river near Ennis. Along 287

The Barn in the wheat field is the Mission Valley. Along 93
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YelloRiverSmall.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	161366   Click image for larger version

Name:	MadisonWeb.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	161367  

Name:	MissionMountains.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	161368  
Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #37
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Wow! Gorgeous photos!

Just to expand on oilnH2o's comments-- the boat inspectors are out in Idaho, as well. They give you a piece of paper that is good for subsequent boat checks in the state. If it floats, they consider it a boat. (We were once actually stopped while canoeing on Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho by an officer in a patrol boat. We didn't have the mandatory emergency whistles or air horn, but he gave us free whistles instead of a citation. Nice guy.)

We didn't pass any inspection stations on I-90 in Montana, but the national parks are also very particular. The staff in YNP at the Bay Bridge marina inspected our canoe, charged us $5, reviewed a bunch of safety information with us, and gave us a sticker. It was also good for the Tetons, but when we went down to paddle Jenny Lake in the Tetons, we had to stop at their ranger station, acquire more pamphlets on boat safety, and then get their sticker to put on the YNP sticker. Whew!

We found the biggest problem was the concession motor boats. They are big, fast, and don't particularly understand that their wake can swamp a canoe. Thankfully we had our mandatory life jackets, whistles, and I forget-what-all-else. We actually pulled out of our Yellowstone Lake paddle early. The wind was one thing, but the large motor boat wakes on top of the wind was another.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
"Short" scenic is the "east side" highway on Flathead Lake from Polson (Mt 35) through Bigfork. Spectacular. Or longer scenic from Yellowstone, I-90 west toThree Forks, north to Townsend, Helena (Thompson Pass on 200/US12) then Ovando, Seeley Lake, Bigfork if you want to go west.

East, go via Helena and Great Falls then up through Choteau to east side of Glacier. Or quick north to Townsend/Helena then I-15 through Great Falls to Cut Bank and west on Hwy 2.
What OilnH2o said! These are all great, off the beaten path routes from YNP to Glacier. Last year I took the Bambi on the Seeley Lake route and it was spectacular. Be sure to make a stop at the Echo Lake Cafe on highway 83 for breakfast.

But my favorite is Helena to Choteau to Highway 2 on the east side. A beautiful drive on the prairie with great views of the Rocky Mountain range.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Lambert , Montana
Our canoe setup is tricky b/c the topper is 6" taller than the cab, plus the topper =one style of bracket and the cab = another. I guess we need two sets and fabricate risers for the cab...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Our car-top carrier came with some permanent brackets that our canoe manufacturer (Hellman) bolted on the truck canopy/topper. The rest of the canoe rack comes off, but the brackets stay put. The Yakima company has a website at: www.yakima.com .
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
My kids and I are headed out to Yellowstone from California next Monday - we will be in the park on July 4 for 10 days. If you see a 27' Safari towed by a silver Mercedes SUV, come say hi!

On the way there, we're spending our first night in the middle of nowhere in Nevada, and then at Craters of the Moon National Monument until we land in the park on the 4th. We're going home via Idaho and Oregon and then down the 395 in California.

We've got an inflatable kayak that we stow inside the AS - I guess we will be able to avoid inspection until we enter the park and need to get one of their mandatory permits. My kids would be happy to spend all 10 days fishing.

Any reports on how the Mosquitoes are this year?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
PS - anyone know if the fireworks are still on in West Yellowstone on July 4th at 10pm? From their website -

Our Fourth of July celebration this year includes some "down home" fun - outdoor barbeque benefit for the fire department, parade, music and fireworks (conditions permitting). Parade lines up at 5:30 pm and parade starts at 6:00 pm. Fireworks start at 10:00 pm.
For more information contact:
(406) 646-7701
westyellowstonechamber.com
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I arrived at Madison campground at 2 pm last friday. It was full, so I drove to Mammoth. I arrived after 3 PM and there were still spaces so I camped there.
The Cutthroat trout were spawning at Trout Lake. It was fun to photograph them as they swam upstream to their spawning beds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spawn1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	161868