Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Big grey,oilnh20 , thanks for the tip about san sun-ed. How was your stay?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Len n Jeanne. We got a site at Wagon Wheel at the west entrance. This is our first year with the AS and more planning on our part would have been better. How was your trip?
The trip was great, thank you! We enjoy canoeing, and had a rather thrilling paddle on Yellowstone Lake. It is a big lake, with significant wind and waves, and it was our fault for not getting off the water before 10:00 a.m. No harm done, but I am ever more convinced of the need to stay close to shore!

I think a RV park in West Yellowstone is a good choice, as you won't be too far from the various thermal features on the western roads in the park. The YNP roads make kind of a figure-8, with the various park entrance roads coming off them like spokes. The southwestern and northwestern sections of this big figure-8 are the most interesting (to me) if you are there principally to see the various hot springs, pools, &c.

We did stop at Mammoth Hot Springs at the north end of the park on the way home. It is a really cool place with a neat little campground, but the time needed to drive from Mammoth or Cody, WY to (say) Old Faithful can add significant driving time to the park visit. I think the average park speed limit is about 40 mph, with mph deducted while you (or the vehicles in front of you) stop for a wildlife photo op, or parking at one of the geyser basins or waterfalls. Much of the driving in the northern and eastern sections of the park consists of long sections of dense pine forest. Nothing wrong with this, but it probably isn't why anyone would visit Yellowstone.

BTW, we looked at the Fishing Bridge RV campground, the one with hook-ups within YNP. Yikes! Motor homes and 5th wheels were packed in so tightly that if your neighbours had slide-outs, you have practically invited them to join you for dinner. We've had more space between campers in urban RV parks. We stayed at Bay Bridge this last visit, which is walking distance to the lake, and in the past have camped at West Thumb, in the Grant Village campground. Both are fine.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pensacola , Florida
We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone. It worked out great as they serve breakfast in the morning and dinner at night. The food was great - freshly caught rainbow trout or bison steak among other entrees. Not worrying about those meals allowed us to spend our days in the park and I only had to prepare a picnic lunch
They also had an indoor pool and clubhouse with activities. We really like camping in National and State parks but this KOA fit our schedule so we could spend the most of our time in the park.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Bambi @ Mammoth Hot Springs. (Couldn't resist!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4118_edited.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	161215  
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Beautiful, we have a silver Tahoe that looks great with our FC. We will have an Epic 18X kayak on the roof. It is a very tippy expedition kayak. I fear nothing on the water though (some say stupid). If the lake is choppy, I'll put on a spray skirt and roll that thing all day long. We have been first, canoeing and then kayaking for 40 years. I can't wait. Whats the best way from YNP to Glacier?

Dan
Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We've stayed at Paradise Valley KOA north of Yellowstone along Yellowstone River, off Hwy 89.. Rear of trailer backed in about 25' from the river, with shaded view of driftboats fishing in evening.. Worked well, but we were heading east, not into Yellowstone by then.. Small pool and hookups...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Len N Jeanne,
What roof rack is on your TV and how is it attached to your camper shell?
John
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Dan, we've just made separate Glacier & Yellowstone trips, so I can't say for sure. But from the map it looks like probably the fastest route would be HY 191 from West Yellowstone or HY 89 from Mammoth Hot Springs to I-90 West. Then take HY 93 (west of Missoula) north. Head east on HY 2 in Kalispell over to West Glacier. Or maybe just take HY 89 from Yellowstone all the way to St. Mary's on the east side of the park. Hopefully someone from Montana can give us better advice.

Happy paddling!

John, our roof rack brand is Yakima. It doesn't sit on the Bambi at all, just on the truck roof and the canopy/shell that sits over the truck bed. It has served us well.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
My mistake...I sometimes refer to truck toppers as camper shells. It looks like it is attached to the rain channel over the truck's front doors...just wandering how it is attached at the back of the truck on the topper.
I want to carry a canoe on my truck also. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Our car-top carrier came with some permanent brackets that our canoe manufacturer (Hellman) bolted on the truck canopy/topper. The rest of the canoe rack comes off, but the brackets stay put. The Yakima company has a website at: www.yakima.com .
Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Guys, I like and trust Yakima and Thule products. Right now I am using Thule "J" brackets on my Tahoe for the kayak. You can't go wrong with either one.

There are a lot of these for sale on Crigslist at significant savings. They are spendy.....

Dan
Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
This thread has me excited...washing the AS today and heading out in the morning with 3 other couples. (another AS and two SOBs). We'll be in YP at Fishing Bridge, on 6/25-27 and then, on to Glacier, Waterton, Banff, etc. etc....may never come home.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
This thread has me excited...washing the AS today and heading out in the morning with 3 other couples. (another AS and two SOBs). We'll be in YP at Fishing Bridge, on 6/25-27 and then, on to Glacier, Waterton, Banff, etc. etc....may never come home.
I envy you I have to say while somewhat limited in my travels that our Yellowstone and Glacier trip was by far our favorite, we too stayed at Fishing Bridge and glad we did, not only due to the fact that they are the only campground in the park that has hookups but also because they are in the park itself and allows you to do the drives around the loops quite easily. Up to this point Glacier has to be my most favorite National Park thus far it is absolutely spectacular ! Road to the Sun is a must see ! Montana is a BEAUTIFUL state I loved it and like yourself i was debating coming back home but thought against it because I like to eat, and have the income to go on other adventures

Enjoy your trip !
Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
This is a great thread -thanks for everyone's input. We'd been talking about taking 3-4 weeks and going to YNP in Sept '13. Then, my son announced that the date they've chosen for their wedding is Sept 21, '13. I can't miss that! So, my wife says, why don't we go this year? No conflict, other than Springsteen tix for 9/7. Now we're starting to plan a trip leaving 9/9, arriving YNP on about 9/17 (stopping in Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, etc on the way). Looks like an early fall trip will avoid the summer crowds. This thread has been a great help in evaluating the campsites and their locations, and planning the "must do's".